deer attracting

The guys l know that manage a large deer park/and surrounding area near London use a lot of wheat laid around in rides etc. Nothing else - Fallow love it and the Roe seem to be a bit taken back - but after a while are loving it.

T

it work's for park deer/lager deer e.g red fallow and saka but roe deer take a long time to odd looking thing e.i. a pink salt lick and by the time they are use to

it, it has disolved with the rain/moisture in the air if you want to attract them ether a pheasant feeded + wheat (with no guard) or a deer feeded with a roof on in

and put sheep nuts in it it worked for me.

(but i have to say they work better in winter when there is little food around and put a fenn trap+box under the feeded to get rats/squrrils.

if you are going to build one for roe deer these are the rough measurments i used and you can make it on 2 7 ft fence post make it free standing

1. get ether a sheet of 20mm weather ply-wood or 1/2 palets (depening on size) i used palets

2.the feed box 600L X 300W X 200D (mm)

3.nail to posts so that the posts are on the sides of the box and so when you hit the post about 2ft in the

gap between bottom for the box and ground is about 400-500mm

4.the roof needs to be bigger so 1200L X 800 (mm) nail/screw to the tops of the post's and felt the roof.

5.the gap between the box top and the roof should be between 700-900(mm)

6. add a strip of right angle alummium to the in side of the box (so they dont eat it)

and i think that is it, if does not work well sorry but it made my 3, some years back

regards deer stalker

thanks for the replies lads some good help there.

regarding feildcraft techniques that is currently all i use just seeing what other stalkers/shooters out there are trying.

at present i have got a good few deer to cull but they are tending to do strange things at the moment and wandering to an un-shootable area. so trying to pull them back onto the land and hold them in certain areas.

cheers john

Try a bale of hay? don't cut the twines so you can see if it's been fiddled with, and leave it out overnight and see what the reaction has been maybe?

Pheasant feeders and broadleaves seem to be the only things that consistently attract Roe. Not many broadleaves around this time of year - I know, I know.

The Roe are in family groups this time of year, so like the antlanic convoys - seeing fewer lone individuals and the more occasional bigger group.

Bloody family groups, you should see them cubix you would think they were waiting for the bloody bus.

well think I will try a few different things and stick to being out all the time, got to keep at it, better than eastenders......

John

I know! and all the while you're waiting for them to turn their backsides to you so you can see if they are bucks or does and they never do! Wandering closer to the boundary all the while :yes:

Most of ours are springs. After last year I wrapped stock fencing around the legs , upside down, and pegged it to the ground. Thus keeping any badgers or such things out and preventing the deer access or from knocking them over. And it worked..................for a while. They have since learned how to get the wheat out. Still, carefully placed feeder makes for easy stalking if you're trying make up numbers.

James