choosing a dog

nicklowe

Nick,

there's not enough information about YOU to offer constructive advice .........

When you say "as i am eager to try one", this doesn't sound very sincere ....

If you don't like it does that mean you will just 'get rid' to the local RSPCA ??

Do you understand what I mean ??

For a first dog .. you will most definately struggle with a cocker, not for a novice.

How old are you ??

Living at home with your parents ??

What do they think of a dog in the house ??

Married ?? Got any kids at home ??

Do you work all day ?? Who will look after the pup ??

Could go on and on .................

This is not a criticism of you .. but remember 'a dog is for life' :devil:

hey sorry if u miss understood me! i am definently getting a coker but i was wondering if they were hard to train? i lready have 2 dogs which are lurchers and really well trained, i am going to collage doing a gamekeapers course and started beating and wanted a dog for the job and a person down the road has coker pupps which are bread from good stock and i was wondering how easy they are to train ? wb nick

• 2 weeks later...

I think you will find if you treat the dog right then it will treat you well and do what you tell it but there is a fine line between being nice and not being stricked enough make sure it knows your boss but you don't want it to be scared of you or it will hesitate on your instructions

Nick,

at the bottom of the page find Search this forum ....

Just type in cocker for search key word .................

Read and enjoy ;):lol::lol::lol:

You will be better off with a Lab .. (my opinion) :):D

I'm a spaniel man myself.

Had trouble with labs in the past - they are the greediest breed I've ever come across and I found their appetities to interfere with their work...

But everyone handles dogs differently - I have seen perfect labs, so it must be something about me...

J.S.,

my reason for recommending a Lab was based on the info Nick supplied and not a statement that Lab's are better than spaniels. :)

I think you will agree that a Lab is easier to train than any spaniel breed, don't forget Nick is not looking for a peg dog or trialing the dog, it's for beating and hopefully assisting with his future gamekeeping duties. :D

Also it will be Nick's first gundog. ..

If Nick has trained his lurcher(s) then he should have very few problems with a Lab. :lol::lol: based on it's intended use.

A spaniel for beating will require a lot more training than a Lab ....

A spaniel for picking up (distance) will require a lot more training than a Lab ....

But I am delighted he has chosen a cocker .. and he loves it. ;):lol:

Roger is right in his replies about the ease of training Spaniels against Labs. Iave owned and trained both and Spaniels do take a good deal of patience.

However the rewards are directly proportional to the effort and I have a Springer coming along nicely and a Cocker who although not the best in the field is incredibly loyal and affectionate... a bonny little chap who is just so eager to please.

You will find yourself very attached to the Cocker before too long nick. ;)

FM.