What's the best way to dispatch injured quarry?

waddy

I couldn't guess at the amount of rabbits I have taken from nets and killed by breaking their necks, but it must run into thousands.

Whilst I have been scratched by hind legs a couple of times, I have never been bitten.

Lets accept this must be an incredibly rare occurrence and should not persuade anyone to swing a rabbit against a tree , or rock to kill it, rather than the less barbaric method of breaking its neck.

Yes, I do realise that what ever method you use , the rabbit is dead, but I don't think that jumping up and down on it is acceptable either.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly Jon Boy.... Are you related to Aled in any way??? I can only echo the thoughts of others, If you have been bitten by a bunny you must have been doing something wrong (or pi55ing about) or you must look remarkably like a carrot! :sly:

people saying "bashing with a rock or something" or "swinging it round by the legs and bashing against a tree" is the only way they know how...... Well maybe people should give more thought to dispatching injured or netted quarry before they contemplate going out in the field! :devil:

If shooting rabbits with shotgun or rifle I would take a second shot to dispatch quickly, if netting them, then chinning is the only way for me, a rabbit can be chinned within a couple of seconds even if you only get the head free from the net.

with pigeons i use a small priest (same one as I use for trout),

You could also use:- The twist, hold the birds head between the knuckles on your first and second fingers, turn your hand in wards so that your thumb passes your body then sharply twist your hand in the opposite direction breaking the neck.

and lastly, if you know where it is you can press the pressure point in the middle of the back.

if you know where it is you can press the pressure point in the middle of the back.

That is the method I use for dispatching birds.

I never net rabbits so I can't comment on this but if I have wounded them with the shotgun A swift chop does the job

So jon boy thinks ferreting causes rabbits stress, yet he goes shooting, wounds things and also likes fishing.

Methinks he doth protest too much. :devil:

Despatching the odd rabbit or two, with a quick "karate" chop to the back of the neck is fine, but I found that on a busy morning with the ferrets and nets, my hand actually use to swell up and hurt ( obviously not Jackie Chan :/ ).

Thats when I learnt the more effective method of chinning them, as described by Eugene and vermin dropper. :sly:

I've just read this thread from start to finish and I can hardly believe what I've seen. I feel quite strongly that there are several posts which need to be removed. Posting comments like some of these on a website to which the public has access is not sensible at all.

I do appreciate that several posts contain details of effectiveand humane techniques and have no complaint with that.

Forum members should remember that anything posted on here can be used, by those who would oppose fieldsports, to show the sport in a bad light.

I beleive you are right Malc, perhaps I shouldn't have started the thread in the first place :sly:

There are lots of things here that can indeed be used against the sport by those that don't or don't want to understand what it is we do or why we do it.

I should have had more forethought before asking a question to which we have got so many seemingly disturbing answers.

Sorry guys and gals. :devil:

It's not the subject that's the problem Waddy. In fact I think it is quite appropriate. It has been raised before on this forum, but it did not attract the same type of posts in reply. Not your fault in any way.

Edited by Malc

I removed/edited a couple of posts in the topic which I don't think are good for PW to have on display as "the best way to dispatch injured quarry", I personally wouldn't want to see some of them in reality, I think it is amazing the number of times I have used a "humane game dispatcher" (the plyer type jobbies) and people say- corr that's good, never seen one of those. They are great for all flying birds other than ducks. Pigeons of course the neck is very easy to break or alternatively the favoured method on the forum is pushing the bone in the back which I have not mastered yet.

For rabbits I have seen many ways, but I honestly believe that the practise of chinning is the most efficient and effective.

The Humane game dispatcher is available for about 12£.

I removed/edited a couple of posts in the topic which I don't think are good for PW to have on display as "the best way to dispatch injured quarry", I personally wouldn't want to see some of them in reality, I think it is amazing the number of times I have used a "humane game dispatcher" (the plyer type jobbies) and people say- corr that's good, never seen one of those. They are great for all flying birds other than ducks. Pigeons of course the neck is very easy to break or alternatively the favoured method on the forum is pushing the bone in the back which I have not mastered yet.

For rabbits I have seen many ways, but I honestly believe that the practise of chinning is the most efficient and effective.

It took me ages to master the pigeon backbone/batley method. Then a gypsy showed me, thanks maggi, t.

We owe it to our quarry to despatch ASAP.

Take note 'eh chaps!

Think I put a reply on this thread and can't see it now so can only assume it was considered "offensive", if so then it was unintentional.

It does bring the question of forum "censorship" up though. I'd have thought that the incidence of message removal is fairly low and therefore a brief PM to let the poster know which rule he or she had violated would be appropriate from the remover or editor of the message.

Since joining this forum I've enjoyed reading and posting messages, some have been serious and hopefully informative to some of the younger or less experienced, some flipant but NONE intended to offend or start any slanging matches.

I've experience of having to monitor forums on our motorcycle club site so do appreciate the situation, I always write to anyone who has posted anything over the top so that at least they know what has offended.

I totally agree with the comments regarding posting messages that can be used against us by anti's by the way.

Could you tell me where you can purchase the humane game despatcher?

After being an efective choper of rabbits for years I decided to give the chining idea a go after a similar thread on another site and find it does seam like a better way to do it the idea of the rabbit bighting is a real one and they do have a good set of teeth (have a look at the teeth on the next one you get). All I do is hold the rabbit with the back feet then slip my index finger under the chin grip and streatch like you are puling back a bow and jobs done.

With birds i squeeze the neck between thumb and index fingerturn the hed back on the neck then give a small streatch and again it is all over.

Dave

The first thing I learnt from the bloke I go ferreting with was how to chin a rabbit and it seams to be the most effective way. You can also strike the rabbits neck from the back with a desent Priest and it will break the neck.

As for birds buy a good priest Not a man of the cloth! but a nice weighted one they will do the job properly, also give the animal a large forcefull crack over the skull the ammount of people I have seen "tap" a bird over the head and only put more suffering on the annimal.

Neaver hope you will find a desent stick to do the job while you are out shooting if you wound an annimal they are very hard to find and your searching will only make the annimal suffer for longer. As the long as the animal dies quickly whatever way you dispach it you are doing the job right but I must admit swinging a live animal about dosen't look very nice.

unfortunatley i was not aware of what my granda calls a rabbit punch and laughed at him when he threatened to give me 1 :blink: next thing i know i get a karate chop, luckly he only hit me in the arm ??? i have a priest i carved myself, works well for all fish and birds ive ever used it on, as for rabbits there is none were i live :blink: