Beretta vs Rizzini

robinhood69

Hi there

First time on this forum and i would appreciate any feedback on the following shotguns.The first is a Beretta Silver Pidgeon V M/C .I am nearly ready to buy one but have also seen a rather nice Rizzini Artemis but dont have a lot of info about this gun.The feedback for the Silver Pidgeon is plentiful and good,does anyone out there know much about the Artemis?? I must admit its looks have won me over but is it the equal of the Beretta in terms of build quality?

All feedback will be very welcome

Robinhood

Rizzini are a big player in the gun manufacturing world, with factories in both the US and Italy. They make everything from budget guns to custom guns built on their standard actions, and have a range from boxlocks through to the side plate models. Many of the guns they make are rebranded for the importer or specific market; like Lincoln, Rotweill, Medallist etc, all of which are made in the Italian FAIR factory. They also sell guns under their own Rizzini name, and the Artemis is one of their better models and comes with a wide range of customizing options and can be anything from £1500 to £6000 new. WJ Jeffery holds stock of upgraded Rizzinis. The Lincoln Jubilee is essentially the same gun, only cosmetic finish and branding differences. They are a well designed gun with excellent feel and balance. You will find plenty of appraisals if you look for the same model as the one you are looking at, but under the rebrand names., as there are far more of them around in the UK than there are Rizzini.

Many thanks for the feedback,i had no idea the rizzini was re branded,but i must admit i did have a feeling the Beretta would be a winner.Theres so much written about it and it all seems good.Will look into the re brand thing thou as i could possibly get the same quality and mechanics at a cheaper price.Read a while ago that the Winchester Select shared much of the feature of Beretta and Browning yet it seems to be about half the price!

I will be buying soon but will do a bit more homework,im hoping the current economic downturn will give me a bit more bargaining power at the checkout.

Thanks for the info

Robinhood

PS Bow and arrow will be my trade in for the new gun!!

the silver pigeon is widley recognised as one of berrettas best guns and as such would be a good buy providing

it suites you and fits you, a poorley fitting purdey will be worse than an excellent fitting baikal when it comes to

shooting. There is nothing wrong with Rizzini pur-sey indeed I have one of the re-branded guns from Lincoln

which is excellent. There is a lot of gun snobbery about infact it's rife among shooters, try both guns out for fit

and make your decision based on that and not the brand name and you won't go far wrong.

I have a Rizzini Omnium 20g and a Miroku Mk70. The Omnium has the same internals as the Artemis, but with basic wood and engraving. I have also put a few shots through a Beretta "EELL" 20g and an AL391 semi, sorry for being vague but I don't know much about Beretta's lineup.

In Rizzini's favour:

I'm a heavily built 6'2" and find the Rizzini to be better fit than any Beretta I've shot. Berettas always seem a bit "low" for me, and I end up looking down on the sighting rail. My little Rizzini 20g fits me better than even 12g Berettas. I find the balance of the Rizzini to be superb -just- beting the Berettas

For the money, IMO Rizzinis have better wood and engraving.

In Beretta's Favour:

Fit and finish. Wood-metal fit on the Rizzini is very tight, but un-finished wood can be seen where the stock meets the action and stands slightly proud. Being a furniture restorer, this drives me mad. Also, there's a few spots of loose solder on the external barrel "seams" (sorry don't know the technical term). However the internal quality of the Rizzini seems perfectly good and the gun seems very solid and built to a tight tolerance. In comparison the fit and finish on both the Beretta EELL and AL391 was faultless.

In conclusion:

Berettas and Rizzinis fit quite differently, so go for the best fit. If you like the fit of both it's a toss-up between the aesthetic qualities of the Rizzini and the finish of a Beretta. Both are excellent handling guns, and really I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Hope this helps.

Edited by bad_shot

I have used a Razzini and still have one and I have to say they are brilliant guns; I always liked the look of the Beretta Silver Pigeon so I bought my self an early Christmas present. But after taking it out in the field on 10 separate occasions my love of this gun soon left, and I returned it to the shop in total discussed, and returned to my razzini a pressure to shoot.

• 11 years later...

With all the grade of guns you are paying for wood and machine engraving, the actual gun is the same so a silver pigeon 1 with the same dimensions as a EELL will shoot the same, just not.as  pretty.

My Perazzi is plain but is made to the same standard as their top guns, just not as pretty. 

How much are you planning on spending?

Edited by retromlc

Beretta every time, I had the 686E which was a very nice gun, only problem I had was the breach lock had to be replaced after about 6.000 rounds as it started jamming, I sold it to buy the Beretta 391 Urika 2, 3 shot semi, as I shoot mainly pigeons, I have tried a lot of different guns over the years but would highly recommend the Berretta.

Welcome to the forum.

The Beretta silver pigeon grade 5 is a very nice gun for both game and clays. Will hold its value, parts are plentiful and every gunsmith will know them inside out.

The more expensive Rizzini can be a lovely gun. No where near as popular so harder to sell on and residual price not as strong.

Your choice on which you like best and what you value more.

The Artemis is made by B. Rizzini. There are several other Rizzinis out there inluding I Rizzini (now FAIR) & E. Rizzini (now owned by Fausti), both of whom are budget gun makers. Also there is the Rizzini Brothers who make really high end bespoke guns.

B. Rizzini have upped their game considerably since Batista's nephews split off and formed Caesar Guerini so I would reckon the Artemis is a decent buy and would have a much better wood grade than a comparably priced Beretta. If you like the comparative rarity then fine but I think CG do a better all round job than either Rizzini or Beretta and their customer support is the best in the business.

Just to throw in my two pennyworth, I have just taken possession of a lovely sideplated 20 bore Macnab Highlander which was made by B.Rizzini and branded by Patrick Keen under the Macnab name. This is the forth one that I`ve owned and regretted selling my first one and have just exchanged a boxlock for my latest sideplated one. I just love the way they handle, for me anyway and much prefer a solid top rib. I appreciate that `claybusters` may just prefer a ventilated rib to cut down heat glaze when shooting many shots, but for me, the solid rib looks good and cuts down the possibility of denting and also rust formation.

The Rizzini Aurum ( B.Rizzini) is the same gun as the Macnab Highlander apart from the solid top rib that came as standard on the Highlanders and the Macnab logo on the action bottom. I think that the Aurum can be had with a solid top rib as quite an expensive extra.

The Rizzini Artemis (B.Rizzini) is identical to the sideplated Highlander with with slightly different engraving to the sideplates, both carried out (by laser) in the Bottegia factory. The Artemis like the Aurum normally comes with a ventilated top rib but a solid rib can be had as an extra.

However, if you look at the second hand value of the Highlanders against the Aurum and Artemis, there is quite a difference. This is based upon Guntrader prices.

20g boxlock Highlander £995-£1200

20g boxlock Aurum £1950-£1995 (without solid top rib)

20g sideplated boxlock Highlander £1250- £1500 (if you can find one)

20g sideplated boxlock Artemis £2595 (without solid top rib)upwards !!

So pound for pound, the Macnab Highlander present far better value, for the which is basically the same gun.

So if anyone is contemplating getting an Aurum or Artemis, then perhaps have a look at what Highlanders are available. I think that most Highlanders were marketed between 1999 - 2004, but I stand to be corrected on that.

As said, I have owned four Highlanders over the last 20 years and have not had a problem with any of them and they are a joy to both own and use. My first Highlander was to replace a 20g Beretta 686 and for me, there was no comparison in the way the Highlander felt and shot, but it`s horses for courses I suppose.

The Macnab Highlanders should not be confused with the Macnab Lowlander a much cheaper gun made by Sabatti.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy