First Landy

Al Buck

Well, eventually I've got myself a Landy. A friend mentioned that he was selling it and by Wednesday I'd said I would take it. He dropped it off last night and today was my first run in it and what a laugh, but not having power steering will take some getting used to !.

It's a 1959 Series 2 88" with galvanised chassis, parabolic springs, overdrive and has loads of spares inc bulkhead, set of 4 wheels & Tyres, doors, bonnet, windows, lights etc.

I can't wait to take it out in the field now :yes:

post-2067-1231608379.jpg

You cant whack an old landy for the whole shooting experience-they just seem 'right' for the whole thing.

I've had a couple swb and lwb andwould love another-its just the cost of a tax disc that puts me off

as long as the battery is healthy you'll have no problems

all the best

fudd

cost of the tax disc is the same as everything else?:lol:?

gorgeous lanny mate. those tyres and rims look a little weird with being on a series, but a good weird mind!

i've got a 94' 90 300tdi.

and if it would fit in bed with me at night, i definately would :-)

(edit:typo)

Edited by ashcmt

Cheers guys', it's going to take a bit of getting used too, it's an 'experience' to drive but bloody good fun.

Due to the age, it's tax exempt which is the main reason I bought it, as it will only be used at the weekends it can sit on the drive during the week and not really cost me anything. Insurance was £128 fully comp so thats pretty much the main cost (aside from Petrol).

Yeah the wheels aren't right, I think the 4 spare wheels are the correct ones but I'll have to check when I collect all of the spares.

Currently there aren't any seats in the back so that will be my first purchase, think I'm going to go for bench seats.

Edited by Al Buck

Nice car mate,

My grandad said that old landys are really cheap to insure even for first time drivers. I'l be learning soon and am starting to look at what is cheapest to insure (its also my dream car :) ). IS it true that the old ones are really cheap to insure?:good:

Also, what sort of MPG do you get out of one of those on the road?

Cheers,

Toby

I was looking to get a 110 after i pass my test insurance would be about £1900 was the cheapest i could find... But I think im going to get a disco as im looking to move to canada next year and take it with me... and im pretty sure a disco will be more comfy at -30*C...

MPG depends on fuel... A desiel one i looked at (110) was about 20mpg... petrol would prob be abit less.. (so if you were going to use it alot i would vote lpg conversion...)

Edited by AlphaBravo

Oh that's nice mate :)

Having a spare bulkhead is a bit handy - its bound to be needed sooner or later!

Love my landy...but the head gasket is going as of yesterday :good: Loosing water but hasn't overheated yet. Gonna have to the head off this weekend and sort it.

Still love driving it tho, good ole TDi..burble burble down the road heh

Oh that's nice mate :)

Having a spare bulkhead is a bit handy - its bound to be needed sooner or later!

Love my landy...but the head gasket is going as of yesterday :good: Loosing water but hasn't overheated yet. Gonna have to the head off this weekend and sort it.

Still love driving it tho, good ole TDi..burble burble down the road heh

Hi mate if yours is a 300 tdi it could be leaking from the p gasket at the front of the block near the fan belt tensioner,or they have been known to leak from core plugs under the exhaust manifold . It might not be but its worth a look before you pull the head off

Hi mate if yours is a 300 tdi it could be leaking from the p gasket at the front of the block near the fan belt tensioner,or they have been known to leak from core plugs under the exhaust manifold . It might not be but its worth a look before you pull the head off

Yeah worth having a look like you say, knew about the P gasket but not about the core plugs leaking. Cheers I'll take a ganders, really hope I don't have to remove the head as I haven't got anywhere under cover to do the work so it will all have to be done in a day really...and it'll have to be a Sunday because I'm not giving up my Saturday down the range :good:

Yeah worth having a look like you say, knew about the P gasket but not about the core plugs leaking. Cheers I'll take a ganders, really hope I don't have to remove the head as I haven't got anywhere under cover to do the work so it will all have to be done in a day really...and it'll have to be a Sunday because I'm not giving up my Saturday down the range :good:

I know you wont like to here this but if it is the head gasket ,the head will really want skimming as its ally