Homemade wood burner

Foxer

Got very bored today so was having a walk about the farm yard and saw an old gas bottle. Thought hmmm?.. what can i do with that? decided it would make a nice little woodburner for the garage :D should keep me warm while working on my car, the joys of owning an old VW :lol:

Before i start if you have a go at this make sure its totally empty :P i purged mine by taking the valve out the top and filling up with water. mine had been standing on the farm for years with the tap open so might be best to leave it a while also.

This is a 19kg gas bottle, seems a good size but i guess they vary in different sizes.

woodburner1.jpg

First thing once its empty mark out the door shape and drill a hole in each corner. I started with a small drill bit and worked up to about a 10mm.

woodburner2.jpg

Then you need to cut out the shape. I used an elecric hacksaw. You could probably use a hand one but it would be hard work.

woodburner3.jpg

Thats all ive done today :yes: Got too bloody cold my fingers wouldnt work properly. Will try do a bit more tomorrow, maybe put some hinges on and cut the hole for the flu.

Yeah seemed a waste to just leave it rusting. I hope i do actually finish making it though as i do have a habit of starting lots of projects then get fed up/annoyed with them and end up chucking them on the scrap pile :lol:

I'll try update it through the stages if anyones remotely interested :lol:

I made one years ago very similar to yours from an idea from my uncle, he was invited into an old ****** horse driven caravan one winter, & he had one of these smoking away in the corner with a kettle steaming away on top, he said it was almost tropical in there :lol:

What you need to do is cut a flue hole at the top/back & weld a chimney to vent the smoke out, another nice touch is to weld a mesh door on the front, & stick a hot plate on the top, if I had to give any criticism the hole you cut is a little large.

You won t believe the heat these things throw out, burning up any old sraps of wood you've got lying about :lol:

My uncles been making them for years & I understand half of South Bucks has em.

I'll get a pic up of mine.

SS

SS- I have some pipe i was going to use for a flue but not sure if its good enough, its a bit thin. Have to look about and see what else is laying around. would be good to see how you did your one..

malk&mung- The piece i cut out is going to be the door so yeah its going to be solid. There will be another slot cut out underneath this main door for getting out the ash and i might try to put some sort of valve on there. Im going to put some strong mesh inside as a sort of floor between the large door and the yet to be cut smaller one, so as it burns it falls through. (in theory :lol: )

edit: you posted while i was.. looks good :lol:

Edited by Foxer

Didn't have much time today so just did a couple of things.

managed to bolt the door on with some hinges

woodburner4.jpg

sorted out a small latch to keep the door shut and butcherd an old bbq grill to fit inside.

woodburner5.jpg

Still trying to think of a good way to get the ashes out easily without letting in too much air. Might just end up leaving it with the one large door and tip the ashes out :good:

regarding getting the ashes out, why not cut the bottom of all together then when it falls through hopefully you will just need to lift it up and sweep the mess up, or just cut the bottom dish out on the bottle of the bottom leaving the sides on as the stand.

John

You do not need to remove ashes from a woodburner (now and again only), Neither do you need a grill in bottom, All wood burners have no bottom air, Only air from above, This allows wood to be burnt at a slow rate, However multifuel needs grate to sit on ashes cleaned out, and air controll under fire, You would be better building a damper into chimney this would alllow it to be damped down and might burn overnight, But so far its looking good, I would prob go solid door with adjustable vent,

Edited by fishman307

Thanks for some of these ideas :oops: will see what i can do. I dont want anything fancy, you can probably tell that already by the fact im using a gas bottle :P

I think i will just bung on a flu and see how it goes when i burn stuff and go from there.

Wish i new what fishman has said before i started, would of saved a little bit of time. oh well ive no experience with woodburners :good:

I wouldnt have clue about smoking meat in there, probably just end up cooking it rather than smoking it :good:

if anyone wants a shortcut, I've an old style gas stove, looks exactly like a log burner but has the gas gubbins which are easy to remove, has flue pipe etc, with a little welding to seal holes would do the job well. Supplied by our local aga dealer so not cheap and flimsy. Is covered in rust but is taking up space so it'll be scrapped if no one wants it gratis

Good job, well done. I've seen this dome many times.

There is however just one problem that you have overlooked. The cylinder looks to me like it belongs either to Shell, or rather Flogas who now own Shell cylinders, or its a BOC cylinder. Either way, I doubt that you have good title to the cylinder, and its not unknown for gas companies to take action to recover their costs. Loss of earnings, rental, replacement cost etc.

There are also some significant dangers involved in cutting into LPG cylinders, and I should know!

webber

Good job, well done. I've seen this dome many times.

There is however just one problem that you have overlooked. The cylinder looks to me like it belongs either to Shell, or rather Flogas who now own Shell cylinders, or its a BOC cylinder. Either way, I doubt that you have good title to the cylinder, and its not unknown for gas companies to take action to recover their costs. Loss of earnings, rental, replacement cost etc.

There are also some significant dangers involved in cutting into LPG cylinders, and I should know!

webber

If thats the case Webber, are they responsible for all the gas cylinders littering our countryside, I don't see teams of Shell officials cleaning up our quiet country lanes.

The way I see it were cleaning up the countryside & recycling....every body happy la la lalala lah :good:

You are right to point out the dangers tho, I always open up the valve to get rid of any remaining gas, then un srew the valve & fill with water from a hose pipe :good:

SS

If thats the case Webber, are they responsible for all the gas cylinders littering our countryside, I don't see teams of Shell officials cleaning up our quiet country lanes.

The way I see it were cleaning up the countryside & recycling....every body happy la la lalala lah :good:

You are right to point out the dangers tho, I always open up the valve to get rid of any remaining gas, then un srew the valve & fill with water from a hose pipe :good:

SS

You may not see them, but I can assure you that there are cylinder recovery officers active throughout the UK..

The majority of abandoned cylinders in the countryside are there thanks to the travelling community.

webber

I've seen lots of these in peoples camper vans. Even seen some with a water tank for washing/washing up.

There's a company who make them also.

Some on fleabay. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/-gas-bottle-wood-bur...0110119002r5761

You can even make little one out of a heineken keg. Found this on another forum. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34143

Some on pootube as well. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0-K05Rcl9j0

Edited by harryhawk

There is a couple more floating about the yard so the calor lot can have those if they come looking :lol: I know somebody who once took in 3 or 4 old bottles he found after some 'travellers' left them behind in his field. All he got was a quick 'ta mate'.

I also took the valve out of mine and purged it with some water before doing anything to it :yes: