JOBS...........

SNAKEBITE

Ok, a serious question, honest.

I am an engineer, turner and miller by trade. CNC qualified and a dab hand on the manual machines as well.

In this country this is a dying trade, up there with blacksmiths and people who do thatched roofs! Things at work at the moment are very, very slow, overtime is a thing of the past and making ends meet is getting harder and harder.

So..................

What are the chances of getting a short term contract (3/6/12 months) in a country like Iraq, Afganistan etc. I'm looking for a quick buck, making a bit of money to tide me over until this recession is over. I could probably get a leave of absence from my company for that time period.

Any sugestions................

Working for the Mob i've got lots of mates who've worked in Saudi, Iraq and Afghanistan for private companies.

The monies that were there in the private sector has dried up. The risks far out way the monetry gains now.

Stay put and stick it out in Blighty if i was you. Just remember there's still awhole party of Brit security workers missing over there, must be 18 months now and no knowing if they're still alive.

I am an engineer, turner and miller by trade. CNC qualified and a dab hand on the manual machines as well.

In this country this is a dying trade, up there with blacksmiths and people who do thatched roofs! Things at work at the moment are very, very slow, overtime is a thing of the past and making ends meet is getting harder and harder.

So..................

What are the chances of getting a short term contract (3/6/12 months) in a country like Iraq, Afganistan etc. I'm looking for a quick buck, making a bit of money to tide me over until this recession is over. I could probably get a leave of absence from my company for that time period.

Snakey if you have CNC under your belt your never gonna be short of work.. :yes:

Are you a Operator/Setter or Programmer??

I might need a Programmer/Operator soon, do you have CAD too???

Its wood bashing but its all the same really. :lol:

So..................

If you do get a job out there PM me. Im looking for distribution in Iraq :yes::lol:;)

So..................

Your trade background is basically a Fitter/Turner. Have a look for work as a mechanical fitter in construction/plant overhaul's. You won't get year round work but you will earn 12 months money in 6..

PM me if you want some more info.

Regards

starlight32

My Dad went out to Bosnia back in 1994-95 to build bases for the armed forces over there, he was getting around £400 - 500 (with no kevlar) a day if memory serves. Heard lots of stories when he came back, like the entire place being locked down because an american soldier 'lost' his rifle :) and seeing 30ft containers of fruit brought in the feed the troops - left to rot because the troops prefered the stuff from the 30ft mcdonalds and cokeacola containers, whilst the locals went hungry etc :yes:

Edited by monkeyjaimz

Snakey if you have CNC under your belt your never gonna be short of work.. :)

Are you a Operator/Setter or Programmer??

I might need a Programmer/Operator soon, do you have CAD too???

Its wood bashing but its all the same really. :yes:

SL,

How much are you paying? I am a CAD draughtsman in a joiners shop and a Alphacam trained.

I will also freelance if you get stuck.

Cheers

MC

Thank you for the replies.

I did my apprenticeship as a toolmaker and have spent time on the cnc side of things since. I do the complete process, tool up, write the programme and set and run the job.

Manufacturing in this country is dead. This is a Nation of service warehouses now and since no-one is buying anything everything has died!

At the moment as virtually the main bread winner I am having to bring up a family of four on £50 a week after bills. £50 for food and petrol.

I'm not afraid of work, I'm washing cars for £5 a time where I can, I have delivered leaflets and phone books when they have wanted people (but I have drawn the line at delivering Lidl leaflets which would have worked out at about £3 an hour. However that still could be an option).

The company i work for is a horrible place, it is so political at the moment it is unreal. We are split over 2 sites and the managers of each site do not co-operate at all. It is all about empire building. The other site is booming, they are employing temps to cover the work! Eastern European temps who will work for £6.50 an hour and do 85 hours a week. Although it has now been limited to 65 hours max. Why not take some of us from our site and cover the work there? Well despite it being mentioned nothing has been done about it, because the managers do not want to co-operate with each other. Ego over welfare of employees!

I don't mind pulling my belt in but there is a limit, someone said they would rather be a little bit poor than a little bit dead, well I agree but living like this is is being poor and dead at the same time!

I own my own house, or rather have a mortgage, I would be better of renting. The government could pay it for me whilst I gave it all up and went on the Rock 'n' Roll. Would I do that? No, because I am either too proud or too bloody stupid. I want to support my family but at the moment I am finding it impossible.

SL,

How much are you paying? I am a CAD draughtsman in a joiners shop and a Alphacam trained.

I will also freelance if you get stuck.

Cheers

MC

I have Alphacam at the moment but looking to upgrade soon as looking to buy another machine with NC-HOPS.

18k-20k for operators/setters

24k-30k for programmers/CAD

I'll keep you i mind Martin if i get stuck. :good:

Cheers,

Brian.