Finger's crossed

Toombsy

A pigeon's been thawing next to the radiator all night ready for the flapper, my kit's ready and loaded in the car - all I got to do is fill the flask and I'm off.

It's really sunny, flat calm and frosty here in south Lincs, so not the best conditions, but it's a day out the office so I'm happy.

Hopefully I'll find a few pigeons, maybe the odd wabbit, and let you know how I get on :good:

Kettle's boiled.... I'm off !!!! See ya later !

hi im the same just getting over a bad cought wife says it was man flue not been out for 2 weeks . so ive loaded up and heading up into them hills hoping to get a few rabbits grandson loves rabbit stew, even if i dont get anything i will have had some fresh air. ill report later. at least lincolnshire is flat not like me in derbyshire up and down dale tells on the old legs. (good hunting and may the rounds go straight)

That was an interesting day out, but not the most successful ever!

But I learned something, and that made it all worthwhile.

Drove around every field on the farm and found a flock of around 100-150 right next to a big hedge and old barn, feeding on rape. Have seen pigeons sitting in that hedge plenty of times before, but have never shot there. Parked as close as I could and spooked the whole flock as I walked to a the old barn. Thought that would do the trick and thought they would return, eventually.

By midday I hadn't even lifted the gun, and the breeze had picked up just enough to start all four of the scarers spinning, so I thought I'd move.

Another short drive and 10 minutes walk and I was set up under another hedge. Put the decoys and flapper out first, and while I was setting up the hide two groups of birds came right over, turned, tucked their wings in and could have been Sunday dinner. But I wasn't ready for 'em. Lesson learned.... set up hide first, get gun ready, and then put the decoys out!

Had three shots in the next hour, missed two completely and just nicked the tail of the last - it flew off.

A few rabbits came out onto the grass track, but were well out of shotgun reach. Another couple of months-ish and I'll have that FAC and then they'll be reachable!

And then all hell broke lose with a big military training operation going on. The next hour saw 6 pairs of helicopters and 2 Hercules flying straight over, almost low enough to see the crew. That was the end of that - the pigeons just vanished.

So I put the hide away and drove over to what I call rabbit alley, for the last hour of daylight. Normally it's nice and quiet (because it's supposedly private), and a slow walk up will see at least a dozen rabbits in the fields, but not when there's a woman with three shampooed poodles/carpets-with-legs skipping their way down the track, stinking like a Boots perfume department. :)

Sat it out under the big tree until the fog got too thick to see anything and that was that. Over and out.

Amen.