Heavey sentence for shooting a pigeon.

The Shootist

the judge told Jones: “You put in the hands of your 11-year-old son a dangerous weapon which you then allowed him to use against an animal.

“You have created in the mind of your child that it’s OK to kill a wild animal.â€

what planet is the judge from.

why is he allowed to get away with saying this.

Jail on hold for father after son shot pigeon

A father encouraged his 11-year-old son to use an air rifle to kill a wood pigeon in the back garden of their Wolverhampton home.

Robert Jones avoided an immediate jail sentence when he appeared before city magistrates. The case was brought by the RSPCA after a neighbour of the 50-year-old, who lives in Regis Road, Tettenhall, reported the shooting. District Judge Martin Brown told him: “This may appear to be a storm in a tea cup to you but it raises serious moral failings in bringing up your child.â€

Jones, an unemployed project manager, pleaded guilty to aiding, abetting or counselling his son to kill a wild bird in June last year.

Roger Price, prosecuting, said an RSPCA inspector who called at the house found a pigeon lying under the hedge halfway down the garden. Although still alive when he picked it up, the bird died in his arms.

A veterinary post mortem showed two wounds to the chest and neck. The first pellet, shot from a distance, had probably disabled the bird and prevented it from flying off while the second, from close range, had been fatal, the magistrates court heard yesterday.

Mr Price said: “The bird was in pain and had been left to suffer as it died.

“When the defendant’s neighbour chastised his son for being cruel, Mr Jones told him ‘Everyone’s entitled to their opinion but when a pigeon lands in my back garden, I kill it’.â€

Jones told RSPCA investigators that he did not believe it was an offence to shoot pigeons on his own property. His son had asked his permission to use the pellet gun and he had supervised him as he used it.

He told the court he and his son used the gun for target practice, shooting at tin cans in the garden, and he saw no problem in killing pigeons which he regarded as “flying verminâ€.

Sentencing him to 12 weeks imprisonment, suspended for 12 months, the judge told Jones: “You put in the hands of your 11-year-old son a dangerous weapon which you then allowed him to use against an animal.

“You have created in the mind of your child that it’s OK to kill a wild animal.â€

Jones was also ordered to carry out 180 hours of unpaid work and pay £2,700 in costs and compensation. He said afterwards: “The whole thing has been blown out of all proportion.â€

Can someone point me to a part where he broke the law :good:

That's what happens when you go to Court without proper legal representation.

Local Circuit and District Judges have to do everything - bit of crime, matrimonial, domestic violence, personal injury, bankruptcy, commercial litigation, landlord and tenant, trusts, probate etc etc.

They do not know it all. Often they require the parties' legal representatives to take them to and through the relevant law.

I doubt that that happened at all here.

Obviously the bloke should have been an existing member of BASC :good:

judge martin brown.

miserable *** shut this mans business down as well.

http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14777353

a better headline here.

http://itn.co.uk/news/80f948bbd157658e9d52e7eda1aaedfd.html

and look what he gives proper scum.

http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/08/13/y...taph-vandalism/

Edited by markbivvy

Can someone point me to a part where he broke the law

Unfortunately its down to the interpretation of the general license,and its not the first time that someone has been done, all the argument in the world re rights and wrongs of it wont persuade a judge that shooting at pigeon in a garden is within the terms "pest control"and crop protection.

And whilst I agree this particular judge jeffries comments are so ferking pc it makes you vomit, and the sentence is harsh to the extreme, (you would get less for glassing someone!) As I said here before, when the air gunners come on telling of their exploits shooting garden pigeon from their bedroom window, they need to think VERY VERY carefully of what they are doing.

perhaps its time for a sticky saying beware DONT shoot birds in your garden

cheers KW

How the hell was the RSPCA bloke there so fast it died in his arms, was he the narky neighbour?? UN_SHAGGING BELIVABLE.......................... it's a sky rat and he is teaching his son to shoot , more teaching needed by the sound of things , but he is teaching .What exactly has he done wrong??

**** me - i grew up pinging craws and pigeons off the chimney pots and tv ariel with a webley excel when i was a boy and it never did me or anyone any harm. This country is too ******* soft, suspended sentence for the faither - furk me. Yesterday a judge gave a paedo head teacher 150hrs community service for possessing hundres of pics of wee children said he wouldnt consider a custodial service because of the likely implications of mixing with other perverts- im not racist in any shape or form but why are there Black Police Associations, Gay Police Associations etc etc. If I as a striaght white Scotsman formed the Straight White Gun Lovers Association Id be no doubt arrested for aggrevation or discrimination. This country has gone to the dogs- run by soft nancy boys

How the hell was the RSPCA bloke there so fast it died in his arms, was he the narky neighbour?? UN_SHAGGING BELIVABLE.......................... it's a sky rat and he is teaching his son to shoot , more teaching needed by the sound of things , but he is teaching .What exactly has he done wrong??

He shot a PROTECTED bird, now before the cry goes up no it ain't, sorry YES it is ALL birds are protected but the general license allows the shooting of various birds PROVIDED that it is done within the terms of that license,and this blinkered cretin of a judge has found that he acted outside of that and penalised the guy, and this is NOT a one off,though it is perhaps the most severe in penalty? if you want to shoot pigeon and keep our sport, then do it right, IE out in the field, and within the terms

also someone mentioned basc now as a member of basc I will ask outright the question would basc have been able to prevent this conviction? I think not.

cheers KW

Has the guy not tried to make an appeal? I thought reading this, that the guy had done ****** all wrong!! For gods sake it's not like he shot a condor or golden eagle!!

In terms of the law protecting birds it is exactly the same as shooting an eagle, that's the stupidity and looseness of the general license and its enabling terms.

cheers KW

**** me - i grew up pinging craws and pigeons off the chimney pots and tv ariel with a webley excel when i was a boy and it never did me or anyone any harm. This country is too ******* soft, suspended sentence for the faither - furk me. Yesterday a judge gave a paedo head teacher 150hrs community service for possessing hundres of pics of wee children said he wouldnt consider a custodial service because of the likely implications of mixing with other perverts- im not racist in any shape or form but why are there Black Police Associations, Gay Police Associations etc etc. If I as a striaght white Scotsman formed the Straight White Gun Lovers Association Id be no doubt arrested for aggrevation or discrimination. This country has gone to the dogs- run by soft nancy boys

A good friend of mine worked for social services. At an appraisal she was asked what she thought of racism. She said she was concerned that there were many support groups for ethnic groups but if she asked for support for a Welsh women's group, ( she was living in England) she would be turned down for funding. She wanted to make the point that it is very one sided. She was told she had a poor attitude and had a note put in her file that she had racist views! I'm not racist, hell, I'm a Welsh lad living in England, I'm an ethnic minority! No-one would recognise that. Anyway, I've lost the plot now. I had a point but lost it in my rambling discourse. Oh yes. It's time we had a long overdue review of the justice system. There needs to be more consistency.