Crow Decoying

jayball1

Just wanted to know the best setup for Crows I have 4 full bodied Crows, 2 Magpies and an Owl I was gonna set up the Owl on a fence Post or simular 2 Crows facing it 5 yards (simulating a stand off) and 2 Crows in a nearby tree with the Magpies just outside the Crows on the ground would this bring results or is there another setup that would be better with the stuff that I have??

Any advice would much appreciated :welcomeani::good:

I decoyed crows the other day and I sat out only 4 full bodied flocked crows to start with :welcomeani:

Crows are nosey b`stards so It never took long for them to come In for a look.

I`d be more concerned with making yourself as Invisible as possible as crows are very wary :good:

They do say to sit a magpie out also as they are very cautious birds and will only sit where they think It`s safe :good: this also makes other birds think It`s safe to feed In that area.

good luck mate.

jase.

As Jase said you dont need many decoys to attract crows in.

I have only tried using an owl twice before and both times it did not work, so I gave up on that idea and just use normal crow decoys and I normally put one mag pie on the ground about 5 yards away from the crows and then I put another mag pie on a fence post or on a hedge.

I have also found that lofting a crow decoy up in a tree helps draw birds in aswell because they normally have one on lookout.

good luck and let us know how you get on.

David.

I have found

Owl on its own - OK

Owl plus crow deeks - not good

Crown deeks on their own - good

When you shoot some, create 2 patches of crows with the killing zone in the middle (i'e between the 2 patches) for them to land, if you can put a bouncer or 2 out to show them the way in.

I use aout a dozen decoys to start with. Spread out, facing the wind. I also use a flapper with intemittent timer. A floater is placed out at about 60 yards facing the pattern. To complete the set up, I use a Primos power crow call, the best on the market imo.

Keep adding the dead birds to the pattern to increase its size.

rabbit split open with a few crows feeding on it has always got the best results for me.

i use flocked decoys with a pecker on a timer feeding on the rabbit 10-12 deeks in a random patern around that and 1 on the bouncer comeing in from the side. if things slow down a bit 1 on the flapper seems to get them intrested again.

well thats what works for me, regular bags of 60+ corvids

i have tryed owl deeks but never had much sucess :good:

the best advice i could give would be set up early before first light build a good hide, head to toe cammo and dont move till the very last second then enjoy some great shooting

• 1 month later...