Intermittent Flapper

El Nino

QUOTE (Cranfield @ Mar 26 2004, 03:55 PM)

So, I need an on/off switch, fixed to 30 yards of wire, or a remote.

It would appear that both, are as hard to find as rocking horse droppings.

Cranfield go to your nearest electrical retailer. ask him for whatever length of twin-core cable you need, a simple on /off switch and the rest is easy.

Connect one end of the cable to the connections on the switch, one of the wires at the other end of the cable to the battery and the other to one of the wires on the flapper. The other wire from the flapper goes to the battery as normal.

It's not rocket science and should cost less than a fiver.

The only drawback in using a long cable to a low voltage battery is that there will be some loss of power due to the resistance of the cable which can cause either a slight slowing down of the flapper and/or a quicker discharge of the battery.

Hope this helps and is what i will be trying on my own flapper.

Does it work ernyha?

Does it work ernyha?

:lol: No, stupid idea, where did you get that rubbish from? :)

Yes it works but I got that tied up with switching,getting the gun in position and tripping over the wire that I abandoned the idea.

Chatted to a mate who likes to play about with electronic things and he made me an automatic timer which does 30 seconds on and 3 minutes off.

Still not too happy with it though as there is now no control on whether it flaps at the time you need it most or not. Dear bit of kit as well as the components cost him nearly £4. ???

OK, but it does work? Is there anywhere online you can point me at the exact components I need

Right then, yes flappers do work and yes, if you can control when they flap and when they don't I think that is the best way.

Several of us have tried the flapper in the continual flap arrangement and our opinion is that it draws the pigeons in but they then fly off as they think the pigeons on the ground are taking off.

If you are happy with a long piece of wire and a switch then go for it, as in my opinion that is the best way. Or the more expensive de-luxe version is a remote control unit to eliminate the wire.

To sum up in my opinion continual flapping is not as good as some sort of "on-off" arrangement.

OK, but it does work? Is there anywhere online you can point me at the exact components I need

Right then, yes flappers do work and yes, if you can control when they flap and when they don't I think that is the best way.

Several of us have tried the flapper in the continual flap arrangement and our opinion is that it draws the pigeons in but they then fly off as they think the pigeons on the ground are taking off.

If you are happy with a long piece of wire and a switch then go for it, as in my opinion that is the best way. Or the more expensive de-luxe version is a remote control unit to eliminate the wire.

To sum up in my opinion continual flapping is not as good as some sort of "on-off" arrangement.

Sorry mate, I meant did the button work well except from the problems of pressing it, getting the gun etc. Is it simple to do even if you are an electrical novice?

Sorry mate, I meant did the button work well except from the problems of pressing it, getting the gun etc. Is it simple to do even if you are an electrical novice?

:) Easiest thing to do in the world, just a switch and a piece of wire.

In fact after only one lesson, Cranfield was teaching others how to do it. :lol:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...l=flapper&st=15

I do indeed use the Ernyha non patented :lol: , on/off switch method. ???

The way I use it, is to have the control in my left hand.

I switch it on if I see any pigeons in view.

Once they appear to have seen it and head my way, I turn it off.

If they look like they may bypass me, I turn it on for a few flaps.

Definitely do not leave it on.............the less flapping the better, I usually do a three flap burst. :)

When you get to the "Old and Feeble" stage it is hard to do two things, (work the switch and shoot), at once........ :):lol:??? . Sorry mate....I know that one is going to cost me..... :*)

:P Not at all NTTF you know i don't bear grudges.

Forgot to mention, my rooms are fully booked at the dates of your visit but I know a very expensive hotel nearby. :D :yp:

• 4 weeks later...

Been thinking about this, by using a 555 timer with capacitor and potentiometer it would be possible to set up the system to be on or off for predetermined durations. Component costs are very low, only problem being that the 555 won't drive really heavy loads like motors direct so you'd have to run it through a relay. Simple enough system to make, would fit inside a box the size of a matchbox. Small voltage dropper in the circuit and it could all run off the 12 voly battery that is running the deek.