YOUR TOP TIP

Toombsy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

This is what has greatly improved my bag size and shooting opportunities:

1) Observe and visit the area as much as possible (I walk my dogs there with the binos), noting flightlines and how/if they change in different wind directions and which parts of the field they have preference for.

2) Note times when they are actively flying out to feed and flight routes back to roost etc.

3) Walk birds off the field and see if they are willing to return. A field with 200 birds on might look exciting but if they have simply dropped out of a set of nearby sitty trees to feed they could move off with a few shots and not return. Consistent flighting pigeon over the field (preferably from an area out of earshot of the gun) is what you want to see. :rolleyes:

4) Take advantage of any opportunity on the day as they next day they may have moved on. i.e, if you see a flighline develop on your shoot even if they are heading to/back from a neighbouring land to/after feeding - get under it.

Hope this helps. It works for me.

Si

Don't forget your bill hook or machete. Can be a real pain trying to clear new growth around your favourite hide if you have not been for a bit.

Also wear a pair of thin green or black gloves so you do not show a white flash to the birds whilst mounting your gun. I use the ones with little rubber grippers on the palms so the gun does not slip (cost about £3 a pair). They also keep your hands warm if they are wet through. You could use brown leather but too expensive and get cold if wet. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure if it is your day off, that you don't answer the phone if work call.

I just spent 45mins setting up, just to get a call, stupidly answer it. Only to have to pack up and drive home to ditch the gun, then to work for a ten minute job.

Do I go back out now?

• 2 weeks later...