Shooting distance with sub 12ft lbs air rifle

scotttomo

this type of scope will make it a matter of course to hit 1/2inch groups at 50yards and beyond,just use the high mag to help reduce wobble.dont be put of by peoplesaying this is too high a mag for an air rifle.air rifles are all about accuracy.put the practice in and when you feel at ease with how your rifle is performing for you,then you can extend the range on live targets.only you can be the judge of what is possible beyond the conventional max range of 35 yards

this type of scope will make it a matter of course to hit 1/2inch groups at 50yards and beyond,just use the high mag to help reduce wobble.dont be put of by peoplesaying this is too high a mag for an air rifle.air rifles are all about accuracy.put the practice in and when you feel at ease with how your rifle is performing for you,then you can extend the range on live targets.only you can be the judge of what is possible beyond the conventional max range of 35 yards

Dave i think you may have the wobble bit the wrong way round. the higher the mag the more it will exagerate the wobble.

Another thing, the scope i agree will help you see the target but it will be the practice the rifle man puts in that will increase the potential to hit the bull, you could put a £2000 scope on but it aint going to garantee it shoots better is it ?

with cheaper scopes with high mag you may find that the POI moves when you wind up the mag, enough to miss the kill zone.

try it out and see thats the best bet, higher mags are also more difficult to use while lamping because of the change in parallax, you may find you have to alter the parallax to focus on the target and it takes time resulting in a lost shot.

I hope its not confused you too much. but simple is best

the higher mag doesnt increase the wobble factor it just helps you see the wobble that is hidden with lower mag.if you practice on high mag[it seems disconcerting at first]you can see the problems you didnt know you had.trust me this works try it.i agree with you on the lamping point though,i wouldnt dream of using higher than 3x mag for lamping

• 10 years later...

I shoot at baby apples sometimes out to 80/90meters from prone and with all my kit calibrated usually hit 9 /10shots without wind. Using H&N Barracuda match 10.5 grain 4.52mm. They seem to carry enough at that range the apple explode. I wouldnt nessasary shoot live vermin though at that range. Not adviserble

• 1 month later...
On 21/01/2009 at 22:30, activeviii said:

start with 30-35yrds and then you will find you can buildon that. i have been shooting air for a long long time and even though i have shotguns and that i still love going for a snipe with my AirArms S410 .177. I have taken rabbits cleanly at a measured 67yrds but i wouldnt suggest this to anyone unless there 100% with there gun.

Hi I've just bought a s410 classic from a dealer its second hand I've had it at the range to sight it in it has a leapers 6-24x60 scope and at 30 yards its still a good 4 inch to the left and 4 inches low but I've run out of adjustment on scope any advice please. TIA

16 hours ago, Keith Bone said:

Hi I've just bought a s410 classic from a dealer its second hand I've had it at the range to sight it in it has a leapers 6-24x60 scope and at 30 yards its still a good 4 inch to the left and 4 inches low but I've run out of adjustment on scope any advice please. TIA

Take the mounts off completely, start again, remount it carefully, making sure its in the dovetails properly.
Make sure the mount is tightened down evenly and re centre the turrets.

Then try re zeroing.
Its possible the scope is faulty, its possible the rifle is , but rule out a bad mount first.
If its still the same , or you cant be bothered to mess about with it, take it back.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Take the mounts off completely, start again, remount it carefully, making sure its in the dovetails properly.
Make sure the mount is tightened down evenly and re centre the turrets.

Then try re zeroing.
Its possible the scope is faulty, its possible the rifle is , but rule out a bad mount first.
If its still the same , or you cant be bothered to mess about with it, take it back.

And swap them round (front to back) and turn them round If nothing changes you can rule out the mounts. If something changes at any of those stages you have your problem.

Rule out the cheap things before worrying about annoying things like gun replacement

Is the barrel straight on the gun ? 

They can be knocked out of alignment, easily fixed. Have a look online at how to check and re align.  Link 

If the gun has a moderator fitted take it off and try a few shotd to see if it's pellets clipping the moderator.

I like a high magnification scope, can be used to zoom in like a spotting scope to see where your shots are exactly, then zoom back to 10x.

Edited by figgy

Centre the scope by counting the clicks each way then divide by 2 - put your mounts on the rifle first and, with the upper clamps removed lay a broom handle or something of a similar dia along the mounts and across the barrel - any major deviation will be obvious. Pop your scope on and , whilst your elevation may be a bit out, your windage should be somewhere near - if not then your barrel has moved.You can realign it yourself or any AA servicing dealer will have a jig that sets it correctly. 

4 hours ago, Mr.C said:

Beat me to it Figgy,

And slacken the figure of 8 band around the cylinder, pop a couple down and re-tighten it. If the barrel has had a clonk it can knock it round a bit. 

I had this with mine, I knocked it over one day while getting ready, I didn't think much of it until I put out a target to check zero and missed it completely. I then noticed the barrel was twisted.

I did exactly what you described took a couple of shots to make sure it was ok and re-tightened and all was ok.

Not sure if a jig would have been necessary if it had been left for a longer period of time. From knocking mine to first shot was about 2 hours.