Shooting distance with sub 12ft lbs air rifle

scotttomo

If it's right up there at the legal limit I would say 35 yard maximum for both calibres, if you've got a clean shot and quality pellets.

Try the gun out with a lump of softwood at different ranges. If the pellet embeds inside the wood you can be sure of doing enough damage. Best to find out that way rather than risk it and wound your target.

Another good test would be an Orange at select distances, or take an Aluminum can.. Set that up at certain ranges.. You only need 4 k.e. to kill a bunny.. Four pounds is the minimum you need to puncture an aluminum can.. And its 90% shooter, and 10% gun.. Cheers..

Air guns will cleanly kill out to fifty yards if you put the pellet in the right place.

The reason why ranges are normally kept below this is that it is hard in most hunting situations to ensure such precise shot placement.

On a still day shooting supported of say a bipod, with a non recoiling air rifle with a fully stationary quarry then such shots can be taken if you are totally confident on the accuracy of whatever gun you are using.

The truth is that most hunting scenarios are less than ideal. You may have to shoot standing, in strong winds, at a rabbit that doesent want to stay still for long etc,etc.

Most shots are taken confidentally at around 30/35 yards with a pcp and slightly less with a springer as they arent as accurate due to the recoil in most cases. ( although I myself much prefer the good old springer, and can shoot well with them as Im sure many others can )

It also boils down to how accurate YOU and your set up are. At the end of the day we have to respect whatever we are shooting in order to try and despatch them as QUICKLY and HUMANELY as possible.

Everybodys shooting ranges will be different dependant on their ability. Shot placement is the crucial part of any shooting whether you are using .177, .22, .20, .25 etc.

Get to know what distance you can constantly hit say for example an inch circle, and once you start to spread out further pace that distance out.That will be your maximum effective hunting range. :welcomeani:

Most shots are taken confidentally at around 30/35 yards with a pcp and slightly less with a springer as they arent as accurate due to the recoil in most cases. ( although I myself much prefer the good old springer, and can shoot well with them as Im sure many others can )

A common misconception.

Springers are as accurate as a pcp's but harder to shoot.

But everything else you said is spot on! :welcomeani:

The maximum range of your kit will be limited by you as others have said.

I'd say specifically;

Its at whatever range you can consistently put pellets inside of a 20p piece in the stances that you shoot from whilst hunting and the conditions weather wise. I.e you might be able to do this at 50yards every time whilst on a sheltered range and with a good rest whilst comfortable but that doesn't mean your capable of it out in the field leaning on a gatepost/fence in the rain and wind whilst cold and wet and fed up :welcomeani:

Nick

a 12ftlb rifle will take rabbits at 55 yards .. but it depends on pellet , ie does it carry enough power to the target .. and how hard is your pellet

ive done a few tests and found that some pellets might be good but at distance they just dont have the penetration .. , ive just switch my ammo to a bullet shaped brand and now find at 40 yards it will go straight through a rabbits head ...

start with 30-35yrds and then you will find you can buildon that. i have been shooting air for a long long time and even though i have shotguns and that i still love going for a snipe with my AirArms S410 .177. I have taken rabbits cleanly at a measured 67yrds but i wouldnt suggest this to anyone unless there 100% with there gun.

It is supposed to take only 4 ft/lb of energy to kill a rabbit according to some research carried out by crosman but considerably more for other species. Remember that if you are using the minimum power you will have to be even more accurate. Squirrels and crows are notoriously tough and for all creatures, the more power the better the chance of a clean kill.

So, stick to the recommended 30-35 yards and swat up on your stalking skills! :lol:

a few years ago i tested a range of pellets in my AA S410.

Big differences, Gun in workmate so very fixed in position. Coke can at 50yrds exactly.

Tried air arms domed, bisley flat headed, bisley practise hollow, bulldog domed, webley stingray pointed.

Now If going out for the kill only aa or bisley flat heads will be in my gun. the pointed ones even missed the can 2 out of 10 times and only penetrated one side.

I still generally try to get within 40yrds for the kill as then it should always be a humane one.

Domed pellets are the most efficient shape, so arrive at the target with the most energy. You'll find that at anything other than close range the domes will penetrate further than pointed due to this extra energy.

I've tried every shape of pellet going over the years, but 99% of the time now I use domes.

Thanks for all the replies everyone thanks. I know, as a few of you have stated , that the main factor of a humane kill at range,is the person shooting the gun not the gun itself. I was just interested in the max range of sub 12ft rifles, only because I'm trying to determine what scope to get for my s10 and what mag range to pick when getting my scope.

scotttomo,

you best bet before getting a scope is to first decide how much you can spend, once that decision has been made then have a look on the market. I would suggest a scope with a variable mag 3-9x40 for example, simmons £100 aprox

hawk pretty good too, and dont forget you will no doubt go into the lamping game aswell so bare that in mind. not too fine a reticule.

if you get the practise in there should be no reason why you cant in time (again with practice) do regular kills at 50yards.

Another thing is have your targets set out every 10 yard, from 10 to 50 and make a mental note where you pellets impact the target. And remember head shots only :wacko: a must there :blink:

I have i must say been shooting for over 30years using air rifles and put a few pound of lead down the barrels, just before any one starts...

I took a chance with my last scope, I wanted something small, light and cheap. I bought a JSR 6x32 AO mildot and it's great! 6x in my opinion is perfect for most hunting situations. You should see the scopes that some people in the US use on centrefire rifles.. a lot of UK air rifle shooters would turn their noses up in disgust but they seem to do the job perfectly well.

Hey dougy, the main reason for posting this thread was that I have the oppurtunity to get an mtc viper 6-24x56 2nd hand. But I got to thinking if it would be too much mag for an air rifle? Given that the mag is quite high I thought that the max mag would be of no use to me on my sub 12lb s10.

I then got to thinking bout the max range of my rifle,hence the original post. And thinking about it now, from most of the kind and informative replies, I'm starting to think this scope would be the one for me.

I know it would take alot of practice for me to consistently hit decent groups at 50yrds but practice makes perfect and the rave reviews this scope has got I think it would help to have a decent scope to get these groups?

Hope this all made sense? As I know I'm not that good at explaining things but please tell me your views as I'm still learning every day.

Thanks again everyone your a great bunch :good:

Atb,

Scott