reliable 4x4 questions

casts_by_fly

Hi All,

I've got a hankering for a new to me car given that prices are down for pretty much everything. The Range Rover mileage thread not far back had me thinking that a used disco might be the way to go. I currently have a Merc A160 (that I think I could sell for about 3K). I get around 28-32 mpg (highway) depending on speed. Seems the diesel disco's are getting right around there and I'm fine with about that mileage. I need something that is reliable though and can do highway miles. I drive London to Hull (roundtrip) 2-3 weekends a month until August. Past that it will be a local runaround for my own shooting and leisure. Obviously (being a member of this board) shooting and 'dirty' activities define my spare time. My leather back seats in the merc are terribly dirty from muddy paws and I have no problem with that. An SUV with rubber mats and a removable back seat would be better though.

My ideal vehicle would have rubber floors, 4 wd, and built not to break. It needs to make the highway trips for now and back and forth to work on the other days (25 miles round trip on A roads). Now for the kicker- needs to be an automatic as I'm on an American license (and then will be on an auto license).

I've looked around and have found some diesel/auto disco's with 85k-125k (N through R reg) for < 3K. The bodies look pretty good. Interiors look fine for what I need. But the question is how reliable will an N-reg disco with 90K on the clock be? I'm seeing both 2.5 and 3.0 TDi engines. How expensive are they to fix when something goes wrong? I figured there are plenty of people well versed in Land Rovers, especially considering I'm in a farm area. Can you work on them yourself? I'm not a mechanic so I don't do a whole lot, but I do change my own brakes, oil, lights, wipers, etc. I can do small things with a limited tool kit.

Are there any other options for an automatic 4x4 that is reliable for highway miles and can be picked up relatively inexpensively (3K or less)?

Thanks

Rick

I have a discovery 2 and have had jeep grand cheroke orvis and a shogun, for me and that kind of money I would look around for either diesel shogun or my fave vehicle grand cherokee in orvis spec one of the older shapes, I saw one not long ago up for £1500 74000 miles with lpg conversion which makes them economical to run, the Disco's although fairly easy to fix often go wrong and end up costing fortunes, my disco in the last year bearing in mind its a mint example with full history and only 51000 miles has cost me a grand in repairs alone, when they work they are great but they can often have problems, I am sure others will disagree but you will find lots of owners often repairing them.

My grand cherokee in 2 years only required break pads and my shogun nothing at all.

Well thats my 2 pennies worth..

well imo the freelander is very good if you want to use on road and offroad for shooting. i would just suggest you get something from 2000 onwards. you should be able to pick one up for under 3k. have a look on ebay some great offers available.

i have a freelander, it is lovely to drive on and off road. it deals like a car on road. but you just have to be sensible offroad when it comes to ruts as it doesn't have the best ground clearance, but other than that they are awsome and highly underated. and apprantly the auto's are better offroad then the manual.

and you will get around 35-40 mpg on highway runs.

Edited by charlie 1

HI guys,

I should mention that I used to drive a Mitsubishi montero (a 5 door pajero) back in the states. While it was an okay vehicle, I had some problems with it and it left a sour taste in my mouth for the model. I have similar reservations for a Cherokee. Too many friends and family back in the states that have had issues with them. Don't know if there are differences between the models here and there, but it would be something else for me to consider.

Thanks

Rick

Alas!

Another 4 x 4 thread, love these!! Trouble is with 4 x 4's it doesn't matter what you have its personal preference! I know people who've had Disco's and have had nothinmg go wrong then they moan like hell about prices of maintenance, and others who constantly battle to keep their disco on the road and never moan.

All depends on the history of a 4x4 i.e. l know of an x-army landy that has been around the clock 3 times with no real problems, just well looked after. we all know what brand new Landy can be like!!

I personally have a TD4 Freelander, had it a year and its about to be MOT'd and serviced in the next couple of weeks. brilliant bit of kit, like the lad said above its really good off-road (mines a semi-auto / has the sport box and auto). Does 38mpg when we tram north to family and is really comfortable. I looked at defenders, 90's 110's etc. but decided on this as its not to garish for the misus to drive about in - and l have to say i've not been disappointed yet!

T

Have I got the wrong impression of Freelanders? I thought they were reputed to be one of the worst cars on the road and certainly the worst 4x4 for reliability? Maybe I heard this wrongly?

I am looking for a 4x4 van and had ignored the freelander. Should I rethink this then?

I heard that the problem one in the range was the 1800 engine, but that was a few years back

Have I got the wrong impression of Freelanders? I thought they were reputed to be one of the worst cars on the road and certainly the worst 4x4 for reliability? Maybe I heard this wrongly?

I am looking for a 4x4 van and had ignored the freelander. Should I rethink this then?

the trouble is they had a few early problems with the head gasget going. so everyone slandered them for it, i think the 2000 model and onwards are fine.

like everything through trial and error you can improve anything. so the later models have been changed and improved thus leaving no problem with the head gasget.

my freelander is great i go anywhere anyone else goes i just have to be concious of the ground clearance so its just a case of stradling ruts instead of going through them.

but they handle great and is perfect for fitting shooting kit and dogs in. well worth asking people who own them not those who have 3rd hand news.

Edited by charlie 1

C_B_F

As said, everyone have their own opinion.....

I drive an Auto P reg 2.5 Diesel Disco (98 I think) at the moment. Goes most places where I need it to go and I've also done a few 400 mile round trips, and while not the cheapest in fuel certainly ticks the boxes I have set for a car. I am happy with it and have owned it for a year, but it is going for its MOT tomorrow, so maybe my opinion will be different tomorrow :good:

I paid a bit too much for my current Disco at the time, around 3000 pounds, but had two rear seats fitted and a timing belt replaced at the same time so probably not too bad. I like the Disco, and would probably replace this one with another when the time comes

I've also owned a Freelander Diesel in South Africa (think it was a 2l turbo diesel) and I was very happy with it.

Cheers

Neels

I personally would not recommend a FreeLander as Ive worked on a few and there cra* and I defiantly wouldn't go off road in one as you would not be coming back,

My choice would be a Isuzu trooper or Toyota Landcruiser

I have a Isuzu 3.0 Citation Leather interior/ 30 to the gallon and it easily will cruse at 75 down the motorway,

I paid 3K and its on a X plate {2000} if you do look at any Troopers make sure the recall work has been done {all free} Injectors

It must be me ! I hear people talking about how reliable my ______ whatever was it did a hundred thousand miles! I do not consider that run in! and would be devastated if thats all my vehicles would do, My last 4x4 (isuzu trooper ) did 385000. miles It had tyres and batteries, One radiator, And front exhaust pipe flexi, Wich i blew up by towing a fully loaded 32 ton tractor and trailer the length of the M18, For its last four years the bonnet was only ever lifted for the MOT, Thats what I call reliable, My patner sold his Trooper (twin but lwb) with 415000mls and not much done at all, (stainless exhaust fitted, clutch, batterys tyres etc) He did howevwer check his oil level now and again, (but never used any) My present 4x4 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 has done 150000 mls ish, Had radiator, water pump, Electric fan, Tyres pads etc, and so far not many problems, I will run it till it drops, My BMW has done 116000mls, And main dealer will not even listen to any oil consumpsion probs (1/4 ltr per thousand miles) till it is RUN IN ! It has only ever been serviced, My last BMW dit 225000mls when i sold it It had rear silencer, And usuall tyres Pads. etc, And is still running around These are the sort of fig"s and maintenance i consider Good, Am I so wrong?:hmm:

As for Land Rover Listen to tonights news ,,, Their in need again! Read the Model league table here, It says it all, http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-report...amp;EL=3161167#

Edited by fishman307

between me and my brother and father we have had landrover discovery's series 1,2 and 3, range rovers -classic, p38 and new, freelander's suzuki vitaras, izuzu troppers, rodeos, nissan nivaras, merc ML270, lada nivas, suzuki sj413, landrover sIIa, porsche cayenne's, dihatsu sporttrack and fourtrack and to be honest all have been good, it really depends on what you want it to do for instance don't buy a suzuki vitara if you plan on towing a horse box with 2 horses or such like, and don't buy a range rover if you want fuel economy!

after reading the posts saying "freelanders don't go offroad"....what a load of tripe! it's all down to the driver - i had a 2001 1.8 freelander (the supposed unreliable one) nothing went wrong with it and it was good offroad - and infact embarresed a 65k porsche cayanne with all the electronic gizmo's (which was given a what car 5 star offroad rating!)....and that was in a quarry not just a "muddy field" but if you try and follow in a discovery's ruts in a muddy field you will get stuck...so you adapt your driving to suit.

i believe the discovery is a good mix of driving offroad to cruising the motorway and having a big boot and towing capability....but they are quite expensive to run.

gixer1

Edited by gixer1