Big Chef / Little Chef

lord_seagrave

I wonder if any of you saw the Big Chef Takes On Little Chef programme on Channel Four over the last few evenings?

It made OK viewing, but there was a definite niggling dissatisfaction in Seagrave Towers as her ladyship and I watched the story unfold.

We could help wondering if it was all just a big publicity stunt and promo for Little Chef - especially as the overall idea of "better ingredients, better recipes and better-looking restaurants" was, frankly, bleedin’ obvious.

Which rather begs the question, why a chef of Blumenthal's direction and calibre was brought in at all? Was he doing it for the love (he doesn't need the exposure, there's still a 3-month waiting list at the Fat Duck), or a big fat fee, or something else? The boss of Little Chef came out of it looking like a prize *** - so what was the point of it all?

:sly:

Any ideas/comments?

LS

The Little Chef boss did come across as slippery and unpleasant - an absolute politician. It did him no favours at all.

Heston struck me as being left field (in his cooking) and yet very shrewd (on the business) - you see most chefs on the telly just giving it the flouncy cooking but Heston was straight in on the first episode asking for the % gross profit ratios for each of the menu items.

Mind you, Little Chef is a bygone and they should have just let go of it. You can't polish a dog ****.

Incidentally, did anyone watch the documentary on Sir Alan Sugar (Beeb 2 last night)? I would hate to work for him but I really do warm to his common sense and direct approach. It's just quite nice to see someone at the top of the pile with no airs and graces and no BS. I would like to see him in politics.

The Little Chef boss did come across as slippery and unpleasant - an absolute politician. It did him no favours at all.

Heston struck me as being left field (in his cooking) and yet very shrewd (on the business) - you see most chefs on the telly just giving it the flouncy cooking but Heston was straight in on the first episode asking for the % gross profit ratios for each of the menu items.

Mind you, Little Chef is a bygone and they should have just let go of it. You can't polish a dog ****.

Incidentally, did anyone watch the documentary on Sir Alan Sugar (Beeb 2 last night)? I would hate to work for him but I really do warm to his common sense and direct approach. It's just quite nice to see someone at the top of the pile with no airs and graces and no BS. I would like to see him in politics.

Unfortunately some try and just get their hands messy. And yes, I did see AS last night and he certainly went up in my estimation; mostly since he was prepared to admit his mistakes easily and take the **** out of fiona Bruce :sly:

I too watched with interest, Seems part of the quallifications to work there was a light coloured voice! :friends: MD did come over as trying (and failing) to con Heston,Not too easy from a failed buissnes man, But the overall impression was nobody gave a ****, They had worked there so long they were stagnant, If i had been in Hestons shoes there is NO WAY I could have got by by not saying Ayup there you own/work for basicly a bancrupt company, You have no quallifications whatsover, Look around you not many positions for six minute bacon burners, On the other hand I am a millionaire, I own the most awarded resteraunt in the UK, It has more awards than you have holes in your furniture, My staff are amonst the best proffesional chefs in the world, And there is a three month waiting list,This package is being offered to you on a PROPER plate free of charge, The choise is yours,! :sly::birthday:

I for one would go well out of my way to try his new menu, But as he seems to suspect it will just revert back to **** ingrediants,And same old little chef, But in that case I shall watch in pleasure as the remaining ones close, They have had their chance!

Edited by fishman307