How long do you hang pheasants??

Gordon2008

New to this so bare with me; Shot 2 pheasants on saturday and hung them by their necks in the shed. Had planned on skinning them on Tuesday night but with work etc havnt got round to it yet. Am planning on doing tonight. The weathers been mild- 7/8 celcius during day. Had a quick sniff this morning before going to work and they seem fine. Just looking for some info ie is it better to hang by feet or heid? They are older cocks so does the meat get stronger the longer they hang and if so are they liable to be minging after hanging for near a week? Whats the general preferred hanging length?

Cheers

as the weather is now, not much more than a week. The way it was over christmas, 2-3 weeks.

I sometimes eat birds fresh but they are so much tougher you wouldn't have thought it was the same animal.

I also hang beef that I buy from the supermarket - had a small rib in my garage for two weeks, ate it the other day - delicious. Had to trim off the mould before cooking though.

Hi there,

dont claim to be much of an expert in this ( i hear someone shout from the side ( shut up then!!!)),

however, i have only started to shoot pheasant this year. so like you i sought some advice from others with far more experience than myself.

I had numerous conversations with older members of the shooting community. The advice like everthing in life varies greatly. most of the advice given was the same at the start, that is you should hang the bird for at least a day to let the bird relax, strange,,,,, yes but they tense up when dead and hanging them for a day lets the meat relax.

This is where personal tastes made the advice vary greatly.

One person said that he likes hir birds like chicken, not too gamey, just a hint of pheasant so he hangs them for a couple of days then skins them.

Another leaves them anything between 10 to 14 days, more taste.

The most extreem likes to hang them 21 days plus. the two ways that he knows that they are ready are, if hung by the neck the body will detatch from the body and as he checks it one day the meat will be lying on the floor. the other is that there will be maggots falling from the bottom. apparently the maggots only feed on the guts and the enzimes from the decaying insides only tenderise the meat within and dont do it any harm. The latter takes a bit of getting used to, if only in the cleaning of the birds and not the eating.

I have tried all three.

so i hope that this answers any questions.

p.s i like them the second way.

whatever you do, don't do what I just did ............... last 3 pheasants of the season, and I hung them up in the shed of the house we just rented ( we move back into our own house, which is around the corner). Went in to get one of the birds to give to somebody I know, and found .............. to my great horror that the RATS have been at it !!! Yess, all of them!!! I am as sick as a chip, what a waste !

• 3 years later...

left mine over a week, had them tonight but had to chase 3 huge flies that all came from 1 bird around the living room with a can of spray, luckily the wife was asleep on the settee and didnt see, otherwise she would have nagged my ears off. I cook mine is these new fangled herbs and plastic bag thingies, tastes a treat and keeps the meat succulent. Whilst in the oven I slowly fry some carrots and collie in olive oil in a pan, meat and 2 veg jobs done.

Edited by Roundhead1649

Depends on the weather. When it's fairly warm out like now I would leave them a night maybe 2. In January when it hardly gets above freezing then I might leave them a week.

Temperature down here at the moment is not dropping down more than to about 8 degrees at night, leave them a week at the moment and they would let them selfs out of the shed.

• 2 weeks later...

seen this on another forum

my old Granddad would call most meat these days Bland and tasteless

where as most people these days would find hung meat from years ago very strong or even revolting

He used to hang his Pheasants guts in by the tail and it was ready to eat when the feathers released and the carcass dropped off them

his mate liked it stronger and would hang by the neck till it dropped