dog food

pigeon street

i have been looking around to try and find decent food at decent price . i recieved today a large box of samples from chudleys (dodson and horrell.)

including some ferret food as well .

will keep my lot fed for a few days .

im having trouble finding a better priced food containing glucosamine and chrondoition .

one of my mutts wont eat the museli variety . spits the flaked maize out .

Im just looking at the same thing and was recommended to look at the CSJ (if you google CSJ their website is good for information on their products) or Skinners who seem to do several different varieties and listed as VAT free as designed for working dogs.

Im probably going for the Skinners but still debating so will watch this with interest.

i have been looking around to try and find decent food at decent price . i recieved today a large box of samples from chudleys (dodson and horrell.)

including some ferret food as well .

will keep my lot fed for a few days .

im having trouble finding a better priced food containing glucosamine and chrondoition .

one of my mutts wont eat the museli variety . spits the flaked maize out .

Gav -- how did you manage to get hold of the free samples .

please tell mate

cheers

Got my new copy of sporting shooter mag through the post today and there is a big advert for Skinners in there. My dogs 8 months so similiar to yours.

I rang them for some advice - really helpful and they suggested go for the "crunchy" until they are about 16 months old and then onto one of the others like their duck and rice or salmon and rice.

If you do decide to look at the Skinners again seems like the crunchy is the one at the moment and they send free samples but bear in mind you should ease it in over 7 - 10 days so I am going for that rather than chop about again.

Was a toss up with the CSJ but not so readily available down my neck of the woods.

Got my new copy of sporting shooter mag through the post today and there is a big advert for Skinners in there. My dogs 8 months so similiar to yours.

I rang them for some advice - really helpful and they suggested go for the "crunchy" until they are about 16 months old and then onto one of the others like their duck and rice or salmon and rice.

If you do decide to look at the Skinners again seems like the crunchy is the one at the moment and they send free samples but bear in mind you should ease it in over 7 - 10 days so I am going for that rather than chop about again.

Was a toss up with the CSJ but not so readily available down my neck of the woods.

Dibs, have you checked for local stockists?

I found a bloke a couple of miles from me that keeps a garage full of feed and I think some of these small time holders slip under the radar.

LB

i have a 9 month old bitch which i feed burns dog food at the mo. but this is to expensive and so want to change.

Can any one surgest a good but cheap brand, and which is best a musil or biscuit?

I have always used Chudleys, made by Dodson and Horrell who have a royal appointment for horse feeds/supplies etc.

They have an excellent range of dog food with several different types for working dogs at around £15-20 for 15Kg bags.

I use Chudleys Snippets for my Terriers, which is a terrier size biscuit but they do all different ranges for all the working breeds. The ingredients are almost identical to IAMS and the other fancy brands at a third of the price.

I've tried cheaper brands at £10-12 for 15 Kgs but the dogs have never got on with them. I also always give mine our leftover scraps, fresh fruit and occasionally I give them small amounts of fresh meat like lambs heart as a treat.

I know people who just feed their dogs on tripe and swear by it.

another vote for dr johns.

i use dr j's silver medal for the summer when the dogs are only doing a bit of work pigeon shooting etc.

however in the winter when they are picking up hard twice a week they get dr j's gold medal.

:blink:

Real dogs eat "Dr Johns" Silver/Gold as above :good: :good: :good:

I feed my Springers on Skinners Field & Trial Museli and Duck & Rice, i try to give them this alternative months so they get some change in flavour

Duck cost £19.98 for a 15KG bag and the Museli is about £13 for a 15Kg Bag.

I order mine from the local pet store who buys it in for me when i need it.

I originally fed the 1st Springer as a pup on Eukanoba and the 2nd pup on Aurtuky puppie food.

Hiya!

Both are dogs are fed on Churdleys, Bryn is on Classic and Toby our pup is on Junior!

Great food, good analysis of protein and oils, and doesn't hype them up like a lot of foods!

Great for working dogs, and good for just your plain old house dog!

:good:

Ive heard of some dogs going a bit hyper on some foods, not sure which ones. Any one else had any experience of this?:D:no: