Spalted Beech Shepherds Crook Handle

deeksofdoom

10 minutes ago, boo said:

Looking good , got the joint right , I'm glad you left the spacers out , now waiting for your next one...

Have to say now that I had been looking at some of your sticks and I liked the look of your joints, and I'm glad I went without any sort of 'embellishment' at the joint on my stick.

Here's another thumb stick that I made last year. I cheated a bit as I bought the thumb handle pre-made.

169603232_10159697574202642_4580946413073142247_n.jpg

20 minutes ago, boo said:

Nowt wrong with that , at the cost of a horn & starting from scratch makes sense , always found they take a bit of rubbing down before polishing to get a finish, not very often use brass collars....

The price of stick making materials has gone through the roof since Brexit.

Could you describe how you rub down your sticks I've heard of rubbing them down with broken glass and oiling them to get a very smooth finish, how do you do yours? 

🤣 meant the buffalo horn , work through the grades till about 1200 , then polish, shanks use anything that's available, wipe down with a scotch bright pad , wipe of meths or white spirit, Danish oil , varnish, lacquer depending what's to hand...

1 hour ago, boo said:

🤣 meant the buffalo horn , work through the grades till about 1200 , then polish, shanks use anything that's available, wipe down with a scotch bright pad , wipe of meths or white spirit, Danish oil , varnish, lacquer depending what's to hand...

It’s actually a Rosewood handle on a hazel shank.

13 hours ago, boo said:

It is ! Sorry , at first glance looked like buffalo horno

Whatever, they are all nice sticks and a slanting joint is far easier to get right than a square fit in my view and after advice from an expert. 

Never come across bog yew, bog oak yes, so would be very interested to see how that material turns out.  

19 hours ago, deeksofdoom said:

Finished just rubbing in a few coats of boiled linseed oil

25B43F90-1FDF-492F-87E3-D3511B7BDF03.jpeg

7DEAF899-0950-46CF-AD14-E37ED5B250AF.jpeg

My old art / design teacher always said simplicit is the essence of all good design and that stick oozes that.

15 minutes ago, boo said:

Art & design teacher? You went to school ? Different in our day either woodwork or metalwork ! 

Yes, very similar but my art teacher was superb and was way infront of the curve back in 1955.  Plus my wood work master also let us design all sorts of stuff and I still have the gun cabinet and table I designed and built back then.

14 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, very similar but my art teacher was superb and was way infront of the curve back in 1955.  Plus my wood work master also let us design all sorts of stuff and I still have the gun cabinet and table I designed and built back then.

We had a fantastic art teacher. He was a wildfowler at heart and used to bring in a mallard, teal or wigeon for us to draw or paint. Cannot see that happening these days.

OB

15 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

We had a fantastic art teacher. He was a wildfowler at heart and used to bring in a mallard, teal or wigeon for us to draw or paint. Cannot see that happening these days.

OB

That’s wonderful. I shoot with an art teacher, head of department at a independent school. I will suggest to him that he does the same. 

2 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

That’s wonderful. I shoot with an art teacher, head of department at a independent school. I will suggest to him that he does the same. 

It was the same school where I used to take in rabbits for Biology dissection. 3 bob for a rabbit and an extra tanner if it had tapeworm as that was more interesting. Again, cannot see that happening now.

OB

8 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Well of course it was quite common to have oil paintings of game hanging 100years ago and painted by some top artoists as well. Will be interested to hear his response.

I will bet he will not be able to take a shotgun into class as I did when buidling the gun case. Nobody even blinked back then. I just lodged it with the Woodwork master for security.

Edited by Walker570