DOG SHOT

trigger1

Hi all

im asking for some advise and wondering if you could tell me where i stand.

i went to work yesterday and locked our 2 10 month old lurcher puppies in the kennel, on arriving home at lunch i found the door was open and no dogs, so after a lengthy search involving a few of my friends we found 1.

one of my friends went and seen a farmer on the off chance he`d seen sky our other lurcher.

his wife was in and told him that her husband had shot her as she was worrying his cattle and chickens.

when i arrived she said that she had 3 dead chickens when asked to show them to me she was a bit vague and said she couldnt hmmm.

she then informed us that sky had been taken to the police station so we went straight down to get her when we got her home it was heart breaking she had a broken back leg and 2 shots one through the shoulder and one through the head.

i later found out she had been shot with a 22-250 centrefire.

now his small holding is about 3/4 of an acre with a footpath running around 3 sides

the police have told us there is nothing they can do.

but the law states you can only shoot a dog when there is no other way of stopping the worrying which would have surly been when he kicked her to break her legs

i mean how much worrying is a dog going to do when its back leg is hanging off!!

if you knew sky you`d know that if you shouted at her she would just cower down like a nervous wreck which i susspect happened because the other 2 ran off.

i would be grateful for some advise because i know you can shoot a dog worrying live stock.. but after her leg had been broken.. on 3/4 of an acr with a 22-250 sounds a bit iffy

kindest regards

leigh rodgers

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

with all due respect mate it is up to you to see your dogs are kept secure.if the dog was roaming the fields doing damage chances are the farmer was well within his rights.i know if i caught a dog worrying our sheep i would do the same.take a step back you may find yourself responsible for dead livestock you don`t know about.my sisters dog went on a rampage(akitas) and ran up nearly 3000 quid in pedigree sheep. both them were shot in the act. try to see it from the farmers point of view. livestock are their livelihood. dogs mid chase don`t always call back.i saw it myself with the akitas. you may not believe it but i am sorry for the loss of your dog.

If your dogs were kenelled like you said they how where they roaming in the farmers field ? I know its bad but if your dogs were killing his livestock and he shot them then what do you expect him to do ?

You you not kill 2 dogs roaming wild killing your livlyhood ? I know they were not wild but how did he know that ? a couple dogs all alone attacking his animals. Im sorry mate but how did the dogs end up there ?

If the Police intend to take no action against the Farmer/Smallholder, then they must be satisfied that he acted within the law.

Any incident involving the discharge of a firearm will have been investigated carefully.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome, I would ask to see a senior Police Officer at the relevant Police Station and ask some questions, or consult a Solicitor.

As has already been said, if livestock were harmed, you are lucky not to have been sent a bill.

I hope you dog recovers.

I'm surprised no ones mentioned a vet. RSPCA (I know they're not flavour of any month on here) might offer vetenary opinion free of charge for the (presumed) post mortem.

If your dog had killed my chickens I'd be very keen to show you the evidence. Together with the multiple injuries to your dog (sounds like shot and stamped on) it doesn't add up.

with all due respect mate it is up to you to see your dogs are kept secure.

Yup.

Amazing how many owners of sheep worriers swear blind that their dog has never left the house after being followed back from killing and been let in the house.

I know it sucks that your dog suffered but if he wasn't in the field then he wouldn't have been shot.

I'm surprised at the townie attitude of so many on here.

3/4 of an acre wont of held much livestock it is also a small enough piece of ground to be able to contain a dog without having to destroy it,the footpath on 3 sides sounds like he broke the law even if he does have an open ticket.

the local police possibly will not understand the firearms law as well as they should.you need to contact your firearms dept ,sounds as if this bloke is a liability after reading what you have posted.

before anyone replies that all dogs worrying livestock should be shot think about circumstances of this one.

thanks for the replies guys

my brother goes shooting with him and he only has a 22-250 and a 12 bore and his wife also told us she had a 22-250.

i am trying to understand his point of view but with no evidence of any dead live stock and he didnt show the police any.

perhaps he shouldnt have a gun if it takes him 2 shots to kill a dog with a broken leg

as to breaking a leg once shot what sort of **** would do that..

im gonna ring the basc,

i dont know how the door came open i know that was my resposibility.

what i suspect happen was the two dogs were playing with each other like they always do.an the chickens were making a racket and he has a bit of a rep for being a cruel ******.

i just cant see how he didnt break the law at least once either by smashing her legs which would then be no danger to livestock.

also if his cows get out and come on our property would i be within my right to start blowing his cows faces off??

i may be clutching at straws

thanks again guys.

as to him bringing the bill round for his bullet(s) and for the supposedly dead livestock he would get his leg broke for coming onto my property and worrying me.. same differance!!

one more thing molly our other pup is a light sandy colour and if she had dessimated 3 chickens surly the blood and guts would show up get well but guess what.. nothing!!

kindest regards

leigh

Edited by Axe

his animal count is about 10 chickens and 4 cows he also lives on the land so you can imagine how much room there is.

and i find it hard to believe that she broke her leg chasing the cattle etc the chickens are in a pen and the cows are in a barn. i would completely understand if it all added up as i have had a small holding in the past if it was legit then fair enough case closed either way i would still find it hard to break a dogs legs then shoot it or vice versa..

leigh

he sounds like a trigger-happy cruel scumbag to me...if he did that to one of my dogs I would shove a red hot poker where the sun dont shine!

one shot would have the done job...if he really had to shoot at all... but to break legs, then more than one shot is just cruel...dont let him get away with it...probably got a small you-know-what as well! :good::shifty:

to kill someones dog for a few chickens or sheep is sick...they are just livestock...just food..dogs are a companion and should be given a bit more respect than just to be treated as foxes etc.

thanks mate im well tempted to just poke his eyes out but i aint gonna get into trouble for a piece of s$%t.

having live in the country since birth ive heard of this thing before and know people that have had sheep killed but always on a wide open space where they couldnt have contained the dog

i dont think a 17 inch lurcher would worry a half ton cow to much and for 2 lurchers to get into a chicken run and pull 3 chickens apart but yet have no blood feathers gut anywhere on her.. plus any chicken owner would make there pen fox proof as ive owned chickens and this was the first thing i done so how did they get in.

plus the devistation of 3 ripped up chickens and all the others that were in the pens was cleaned up remarkably quick..

not being funny, but in my partnership we have a 175 head strong beef heard. if any dog tryed to hurt a cow, it would give them a fairly decent kick, now if it was a calf, i can see the farmers point of view. Chickens, not worth shooting a dog over chickens. i could tell you what id do to the chap if he shot my dog but im sure you understand where im going. I'd ring basc to find out if hes in his right first before you do or say anything