Hide building!

turk101

don't waste your time and energy m8.

i was shooting 2 weeks ago in the middle of a field i had no roof and the birds still came in.

people don't seem to understand that it is movement which scares off 90% of pigeons that flare away.

as long as you don't figit in the hide when a bird is coming in you should be fine. the amount of times i have been standing up to stretch my legs and i see a pigeon coming in, i don't move and it comes right into the deeks about 15-20 yrds away, with my top half sticking out of the hide. i don't use face vail thingys either.

roofs are far too restrictive. just sit still

i hardly ever take a hide with we, i make use of the natural suround,ditch,fence even barbed wire with a bit of grass draped over it, as long as you keep still until the bird is in the killing zone they are more interested with what is in front of you than you unless you move to let them know you are there, my best day i shot 176 birds sitting behind 2 strands of barbed wire and my spaniel sat infront of me in the field and they couldnt have cared less about us being there.

At the end of the day as long as you keep still and are wearing camo clothingthen the pigeons will ignore you.

One of our hides we just parked our red nissan pickup truck beside an oak tree and sat beside the truck and the pigeons ignored it and we shot 182 birds.

Our best day where we shot over 350 birds we were just standing on the edge of the field with a ditch behind us and a set of oak trees about 10 feet behind us, so we were basically out in the open and the birds came in happily.

It is mostly down to movement.

On My shoot there are about 8 or so natural hides thet were there when I started shooting and are Fixed back up, as and when needed ,

Ocasionaly other shooters will use hidesof srim or tank webbing . and you can spot the a mile off ,

Some are branches laid against trees so do have a type of roof . I prefere no roof and wait till lst second to fire , Most hides are under known flight lines and have worked well for the last 60+years .

I often think too much is read into hides and decoy paterns , Movement is I belive yhe key !!

A bird wishes to see another bird feeding , sudden movement by humans is an inbuilt alarm to them , ,

on reflection having said that , I am truly amazed how well a magnet works , [ I dont have one!!] .

its uncanny how a pigeon will change flight and drop in like a stone as if mesmorised , yet is they see its not right jink and never return , [ is this not what its all about KIDDING THEM?] ,

Farming here dictates we rarely get big bags , yet the enjoyment is none the less ,

20 years ago I would drive to the borders to slay hundreds in a day , [ and often pay for the chance ] , its easy , [ nay never easy] , its easier , to shoot big bags of hungry young birds in Autumn , [ over pes especialy] , then we had open toppped hides , often two guns together ,

Again what works at one field may not work at another , or indeed another day , BUt its correct to ASK as it helps with the knowledge you will pick up ,

To any newcommer the best advice I could give is . Go with an experienced pidgeon shooter , you will learn so much even if you only shoot one bird , it akes time to learn , then when you know iot all you cant be bothered to go !! , [ And just POST!!} :yes: . POW1

• 2 weeks later...
Every half hour !! - it's actually smaller than it looks (honest guv) - well it is now the farmer had to take it down as well as a few shrubs to get his beet machine in the field which the hide was built around

excellent,andy... :good:

thanks for reply and taking it as joke :lol:

cheers..good luck with your new hide. :yes::lol: