puppy food

darren m

puppy food -- is there anything in the different brands OR is one better than the other or all the same

what do you recommend :lol:

being given pedigree chum by the breeder as a starter for the spaniel , but think i used chuddleys or beta on my lab when he was a pup ( cant remember now )

cheers

barf diet is best...raw meat with mixer and some veg....whole raw eggs are excellent including shells...you can get the blocks of meat, ie tripe and beef from company called Prizechoice...you can get from any major pet shop...you just defrost the blocks of meat, feed raw with mixer, veg and raw egg ( 2 or 3 a week) with warm water and mix in bowl...puppies need lots of goats milk too...keeps them healthy and never get skin or stomach problems that all the **** dried foods give...chum is not good but up to you :D

yep...maybe leave out the shell until he is used to it...the sooner you get the pup eating proper food the better....i have noticed a real difference with my english bull terriers, mainly they never get fat (i never feed them titbits) and they are both girls and had the op which usually makes them pile on weight...they are rareful ill and only time i take them to the vet is for their yearly injections...one of them is mainly white and they can suffer from skin conditions due to all the additives in dried or manmade foods but her skin and coat is top notch...if you want more info have a look here

barf info

or feel free to pm me and i will give you a diet sheet :rolleyes:

Edited by joyoge

Beta is apparently awful stuff. Dry is the cheaper route but you have to do your homework. Our 16 week old springer is on Burns at the mo but will be moving on to CSJ at a year.

But it is a minefield. All the shops will try and convince you to buy Royal Canin.

Tried different foods with my GSP, Royal Canin, Burns, Well beloved and more. He couldn't get on with any of em. Changed to CSJ, best food so far. Always solid poo and no wind problems like the others! He is a fussy ****** so have to mix with sardines in oil every now and again which helps with shiny coat.

I feed both my Large Musterlanders on BARF

I get my food from www.landywoods.co.uk and they deliver to your door. I buy enough to fill the chest freezer (about 250lb of meat) each time.

My dogs cost about £1.50 per day to feed on the BARF diet as opposed to much more when they were on Purina complete.

To be honest, I would feed BARF even if it cost 5 times that amount as the dogs benefit so much from it.

Puppies are fine on BARF and will not suffer from the food being over rich (very common with complete mixes) or being lumbered with having to go through 3-4 different formulas as the dog grows.

Darren,

My springer has been on Chudleys from the start, puppy at first , now onto the junior, and he is in fine fettle, coat shiny and full of energy, plus its a reasonable price, £18 for a 15kg bag, so cheaper than Burns etc, My local shop is always trying to get me to go onto Burns and Royal Canin, Purina etc, I think there is a bigger mark up in price for them, so makes more money on it.

But as people say, its a matter of take your choice and see what agrees with him, but Chudleys does fine for my dog.

Cheers

Alan

I feed my 2 cockers on Autarky gluten free from Costco (£11 15Kg). I tried loads of others and they all give them the sh8ts. My Dobermann pup is on a mixture of raw minced lamb an Autarky.

I've tried them on on bones but although they love them the 2 cockers fight like hell over them, I'm now waitong for the dobermann to grow and she will keep order!!

Simon

Darren,

My springer has been on Chudleys from the start, puppy at first , now onto the junior, and he is in fine fettle, coat shiny and full of energy, plus its a reasonable price, £18 for a 15kg bag, so cheaper than Burns etc, My local shop is always trying to get me to go onto Burns and Royal Canin, Purina etc, I think there is a bigger mark up in price for them, so makes more money on it.

But as people say, its a matter of take your choice and see what agrees with him, but Chudleys does fine for my dog.

Cheers

Alan

seconded chudleys is what mine mostly has and no problems at all, usually mixed with half a tin of meat and she's thriving on it. Bonus being the cost is very reasonable

i buy direct from prizechoice who make the blocks or bags of frozen raw meat...i say i am a breeder and you get it quite a bit cheaper...you have to spend £50 a time but easy done as the mixer is also additive free and tripe...costs me around 80p a day to feed an english bull terrier...mixture of the meat, mixer, carrots or other veg and a whole egg 2/3 times a week...they never get fat or have dry skin or need to go to vet (touch wood)...i also give them whole chicken wings once a week...great for their teeth...also good marrowbone from butcher...not expensive.

www.prizechoice.co.uk

they deliver to your door for £3

you can get an even better deal if you spend £100 an order...i share my order with a mate....blocks of meat work out at approx 46p each instead of 80p in shop.

best diet for your dog and for avoiding vet bills by far...thats why they tell you its not good for the dogs.