Call To Arms :) SERIOUS rabbit problem

ShaggyRS6

Someone forgot to take his camera :good: I had to come back early as my ear was starting to hurt.

The text message that the farmer sent was well recieved. I have never seen so many shooters/ferreters in one place at one time :beer:

The really good thing was we worked around each other, each taking a peice of the land, then king of rotated around.

No idea how the Ferret guys got on as I left at 13:00 and could not find them. The chap with the Air Rifle was clearing the parts my HMR could not safely shoot and was doing well.

I got a total of 18 wabbits. 3 Went to the pruner working the permission (another added obsticle) for her dinner. 10 went to a lady who is having her veg garden destryoed by the rabbits in return I got a load of fresh veg the others were body shots.

I wish i had a 22 Rimmy now as some of the major rabbit issues are in an area where yuo cant see dog walkers, and there are a fair few of them, it was not safe to fire the 17 HMR in those areas.

What it needs is a 4 pronged attack. It needs to be contantly ferreted, the warren systems are huge and there a lot. its needs people like me to get the wabbits in the more open areas. It needs to be lamped, and I have never lamped. And it needs the air gunners and 22 Rimmy chaps to get the stuff the 17 cant.

So many of the rabbits i saw could not be shot due to walkers using the area. You can tell them to leave but they are ignorant to the fact that you have a rifle.

the lady that gave me the veg says she watches them all day and in the evening climbing the trees. they use the chicken wire to climb up and then you will notice the bark is stripped perfectly to the length of a rabbits :good:. the brave one then go higher and start stripping the branches.

All in all a good day. Im bloody knackered as I have not been out the house in a month, but I enjoyed it.

Only makes a mess if you dont get from shoulders forward. The only reason i had lots of body shots was the positioning of the rabbits. I was not that interested in keeping any. they just need clearing. Using VMAX Shock and not Hollow points. Very safe round.

Stick with the HMR shaggy - it's safer that the .22

Most 40 grain bullets remain intact and carry on through for a good distance after the rabbit has been hit. The 17 grain HMR bullets will mostly be destroyed inside the rabbit though some small fragments may pass through.

If I may add my tuppence to the .22/.17 debate.

I bought a .22lr last year and found it to be a cracking gun for rabbits. I decided at the time that I wouldnt get a .17 because the .22 did everything I wanted.

That is of course until I decided I had to have a .17 cos there was a slot on my ticket.

Anyway, my findings are as follows:

.22lr - VERY quiet, accurate, cheap as chips ammo, BUT, VERY prone to ricochets, and has a trajectory which takes a little getting used to and some proficiency in range estimation

17HMR - Accurate, wonderfully flat trajectory, hits hard, longer range, far fewer ricochets, BUT noisier, ammo is more expensive.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. I find that I am using the .17 most at the mo.

ZB

Shaggy, I'd try a .22 on the ground before you buy one as I'll bet you don't like it, If you've people wandering about the HMR is far better as you can be as certain as possible you won't be sending bits of bouncing lead off into the unknown. I used to use one all the time and now its not been out since I got the HMR as I used to hate the ricochets. Cost wise is just not a problem for me as I use 1000 rounds a year or so so it doesn't matter I'd prefer to pay for the accuracy and range it gives me.

Sounds like some cracking ground thats just asking to be shot at night,

Yeah, to be honest I was talking to one of the Air gunners about it. He has a ticket for a .17 or a .22 and was asking which one he should get.

We spoke for a good hour and he watched as I shot the bunnies. i explained to him about the pro's of the 17 round I was using, and that in fact I had sold all my Air rifles as each permission I have is passed for 17 HMR, even the small ones.

I explained that my FLO would prefer the use of a 17HMR on some of the permissions I use, this one in paticular and that he would rather me use the Vmax round because of ricochet issues with the .22

By the end of the morning I think I had him sold on a 17

Being a cheeky ****** I was wondering if my father and I may be able to help out one day with our air rifles :sly:

Its not that far to go and it certainly seemd youhave a bigger problem then our local golf which has 8 shooters fighting over 6 days. PM if interested. Normally wouldn't ask but it's has been some time since we eat self caught food!.