first shot with the .17

wannabefisher

i've had my "new" gun for probably 6 months now, and last week finally managed to get it zeroed in roughly. Decided to go for a stroll around a few fields at lunch time, but it was frosty and there was no sign of shootable wildlife. Until out in the middle of the ploughed field a hard got up and started to run - from what I don't know. After a few seconds watching it I decided for some reason to have a crack - I guess I just wanted to break the gun in. Anyway, imagine my shock when it cartwheeled a split second after I pulled the trigger...

I looked again, and sure enough it was lying there, not moving. I paced it out (in trainers on a freshly ploughed field) - 114m!

Pretty incredible really, I don't think I'll ever hit a moving target like that again. I'm not sure whether it's more a case of very lucky shooter or very unlucky hare. Both probably!

Here's the photo

post-11665-1233014005.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i've had my "new" gun for probably 6 months now, and last week finally managed to get it zeroed in roughly. Decided to go for a stroll around a few fields at lunch time, but it was frosty and there was no sign of shootable wildlife. Until out in the middle of the ploughed field a hard got up and started to run - from what I don't know. After a few seconds watching it I decided for some reason to have a crack - I guess I just wanted to break the gun in. Anyway, imagine my shock when it cartwheeled a split second after I pulled the trigger...

I looked again, and sure enough it was lying there, not moving. I paced it out (in trainers on a freshly ploughed field) - 114m!

Pretty incredible really, I don't think I'll ever hit a moving target like that again. I'm not sure whether it's more a case of very lucky shooter or very unlucky hare. Both probably!

Ok so how rough is your rifle zeroed?? and at what range??

You decided to have a crack at it?? what would of happend if you wounded it?? could you do the 100 yard dash in under 10 secs???

Sorry but sounds like you need to check your hunting morals

Ok so how rough is your rifle zeroed?? and at what range??

You decided to have a crack at it?? what would of happend if you wounded it?? could you do the 100 yard dash in under 10 secs???

Sorry but sounds like you need to check your hunting morals

i was waiting for that reply

"roughly" means that I have zeroed it but have not yet been to the indoor 100m range to get it precisely where I want on a benchrest. It is zeroed at 100m now to a good enough precision to be safe for hunting with.

What if I had injured it? Well then it would have slowed down and I could have got it again. But on second thoughts maybe you are right - next time I will use the .243 just to be on the safe side.

i was waiting for that reply

"roughly" means that I have zeroed it but have not yet been to the indoor 100m range to get it precisely where I want on a benchrest. It is zeroed at 100m now to a good enough precision to be safe for hunting with.

What if I had injured it? Well then it would have slowed down and I could have got it again. But on second thoughts maybe you are right - next time I will use the .243 just to be on the safe side.

he's got a point you really don't shoot moving targets with a rifle, if you have no regard for your quarry then carry on but believe me wound a hare badly and it will probably put you off shooting for a while

yes it is with a rifle with a single shot you just don't do it. Only circumstances it may be acceptable is if you've injured the animal with the first shot and to stop it getting away. If you're a novice shot you really need a mentor to teach you about rifle shooting as shooting running game is not something you can compare to using a shotgun and I really can't believe you had so many people saying good shot as it wasn't

sorry I can't agree with that

With a rifle you either hit or miss. If you hit, especially with a round such as the 17hmr, then the chances of putting down the animal are very good.

I won't need to explain to you how this is certainly not the case with a shotgun, and the chances or injuring are much, much higher - especially at range.

I'm not expecting to change your mind, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

al4x have a good point there.

Just take it as good advice for next time you go out shooting, we all make mistakes when we first start shooting but mistakes can get you into some trouble. If you wound an animal it can get away from you and you might never find it again which mean it will suffer a painful death, After all it might just be vermin but as hunters we have to ensure we cause our quarry as little harm as possible.

Regards.

until you shoot too far back and leave it with damage to back legs or stomache, the principle with a shotgun is totally different. You really do need a mentor to show you what to do as rifle shooting is just not safe or ethical if you shoot at animals on the move.

until you shoot too far back and leave it with damage to back legs or stomache, the principle with a shotgun is totally different. You really do need a mentor to show you what to do as rifle shooting is just not safe or ethical if you shoot at animals on the move.

since I'm not very clever, explain to me how the principal is different with a shotgun?

If by principal you mean that is is generally thought of as being more ethically responsible to injure animals with a shotgun than with a rifle then I would agree with you. But I doubt that is what you are thinking?

since I'm not very clever, explain to me how the principal is different with a shotgun?

If by principal you mean that is is generally thought of as being more ethically responsible to injure animals with a shotgun than with a rifle then I would agree with you. But I doubt that is what you are thinking?

How many years have you been shooting :good:

al4x guess you dont want to come driven boar shooting with me then?

There are valid points to be made with this topic.. The most important thing i want to stress is do not make running shots if you are not sure.. Not all mine are made while on the hoof, but have taken many that way :good: I guess i wouldnt experiment on a living critter if you dont know you abilities.. I shoot at least 5 times a week :good: Other than that great shot mate :beer:

Edited by LeeinVA

You can`t compare a shotgun with a rifle.

. I paced it out (in trainers on a freshly ploughed field) - 114m!

That is a very irresponsible shot to take with a rifle on a moving target especially when you consider the size of the hare.

Also, you would of have to really concentrate on the hare as it was moving at the time, which means you could not have ensured that you have a good backstop should you miss.

shooting a running target with a single projectile at 100yrds with it not being 100% scoped in is irreisponcible and you are far more likely to wound your target then if you are shooting a running target with 200 pellets at 30 yrds. and everyone genrally practises on clays with a shotgun so they get used to the gun and distances to ensure when they come to live animals they can be confident with a clean kill.

and thinking that if you hit your target with a 17hmr bullet its not going to go far you are very much mistaken, when it comes to an animals life they suddenly find the strength to run.

you should have stuck to shooting clays. and certainly need a mentor for your rifles :good:

You can`t compare a shotgun with a rifle.

That is a very irresponsible shot to take with a rifle on a moving target especially when you consider the size of the hare.

Also, you would of have to really concentrate on the hare as it was moving at the time, which means you could not have ensured that you have a good backstop should you miss.

1) Tell me why not

2) Seriously?? You do not know anything about the other conditions and you are trying to tell me it was an unsafe shot? Do your self a favour and stick to the facts rather than attacking me for being dangerous when you don't have a clue; it just makes you look vindictive.

shooting a running target with a single projectile at 100yrds with it not being 100% scoped in is irreisponcible and you are far more likely to wound your target then if you are shooting a running target with 200 pellets at 30 yrds. and everyone genrally practises on clays with a shotgun so they get used to the gun and distances to ensure when they come to live animals they can be confident with a clean kill.

and thinking that if you hit your target with a 17hmr bullet its not going to go far you are very much mistaken, when it comes to an animals life they suddenly find the strength to run.

you should have stuck to shooting clays. and certainly need a mentor for your rifles :good:

You're right it wasn't what I would consider 100% scoped in, it was 98%, and as much as I would wager almost anyone on here does. How many people here go to an indoor range to benchrest zero their guns?

The fact is that a higher proportion of shots result in wounded animals with a shotgun than a rifle, and I don't see you bleating on about that.

Try and tell me you've never shot at a bird at more than 30m. Did you hit it? If so then you shouldn't have taken the shot in the first place. Did you miss it? You could have very easily hit it and not killed it then and there - it is MUCH more difficult to know with a shotgun, and you can never be sure.

Life is not black and white.