first shot with the .17

wannabefisher

In germany they practice wild boar shooting with rifles - whilst running

In scandinavia they practice elk shooting with rifles - whilst running

In fact I seem to remember that one of the scandinavian countries has a hunting test which involves shooting at a running target.

All of these countries have a much larger heritage than the UK when it comes to hunting with rifles, yet they think it is OK to shoot moving targets.

"But but but but....it's just not the way we do things" seems to be the thought of most of the posters here.

Let's look at it another way;

I apparently took a shot that was too far. Hands up amongst the people who think I was wrong who would hesitate to shoot at a pheasant that was "too close". And why would you not - because it isn't sporting. But hang on, surely getting a clean kill is the most important factor?

You can't have it both ways.

Edited by wannabefisher

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wot yes you can have it both ways.

if its pest control, i.e rabbits fox etc then no they can't be too close but why would you want to shoot something you are going to eat so close you will butcher the meat. anyone who shoots a low pheasant on our shoot gets told off. its ettiqutte, not to mention bl*ody pointless to destroy what you are hoping to eat.

what others do in other countries is very different. i think you should tell your fao that you shot a running hare with your 17 at 100 yrds, see what he has to say about it, im fairly sure he will be thinking he made a bad decision in giving you a cert.

Edited by charlie 1

wot yes you can have it both ways.

if its pest control, i.e rabbits fox etc then no they can't be too close but why would you want to shoot something you are going to eat so close you will butcher the meat. anyone who shoots a low pheasant on our shoot gets told off. its ettiqutte, not to mention bl*ody pointless to destroy what you are hoping to eat.

That's ludicrous. You're trying to tell me it's better to increase the chances of injuring a bird than to have it hit harder? If you don't want to eat heavily shot birds that's your prerogative, but then think about who is being disrespectful to the animal.

And I take it from your post that you do not eat rabbits either if it is OK to shoot them from close range?

That's ludicrous. You're trying to tell me it's better to increase the chances of injuring a bird than to have it hit harder? If you don't want to eat heavily shot birds that's your prerogative, but then think about who is being disrespectful to the animal.

And I take it from your post that you do not eat rabbits either if it is OK to shoot them from close range?

no its about being respectful for your quarry, ok i unserstand that dead is dead however when shooting for the pot you are better off not filling your food with pellets, and if you think that just because an animal is really close it will die straight away you are once again mistaken. i have seen pigeons shoot from close distance (vermin) (5 yrds) and been hit in the back end where they are still alive, when your target is flying or running past at around 5 yrds away it is difficult to hit as you have to move the gun a damn site faster and farther so it is still easy to wound anything. your optimum range for shotgunning is 30-35yrds. and that way is still isn't so close to land almost all the pellets in your target.

and for your infomation i do eat rabbits however as they are vermin i shoot all the rabbits i can if i choose to shoot it close for pest control then the chances are i won't be eating it altho most of my rabbits are shot with 22lr to the head so no body damage. whereas what is the point in shoot game and food so badly you cannot any longer eat it, after all that is what you are shooting it for

your optimum range for shotgunning is 30-35yrds

Maybe from an eating perspective, but certainly not from a probability of kill one. If I had to be shot with a shotgun I know which I would choose out of standing 35m away or 15m.

The fact is, it is impossible to reconcile the viewpoint of giving animals a sporting chance with that of ensuring as clean a kill as possible.

Maybe from an eating perspective, but certainly not from a probability of kill one. If I had to be shot with a shotgun I know which I would choose out of standing 35m away or 15m.

The fact is, it is impossible to reconcile the viewpoint of giving animals a sporting chance with that of ensuring as clean a kill as possible.

actually it is from the killing perspective that it is the optimum range. your shot pattern is at its best i.e most pellets as spread out as poss without large holes in the group. and the wider the pattern with less holes the more chance of putting enough pellets in it to kill your target. but just don't forget that also the further out you shoot the less power you get hence the reason 30-35 is the best as it has good power and a good shot group

actually it is from the killing perspective that it is the optimum range. your shot pattern is at its best i.e most pellets as spread out as poss without large holes in the group. and the wider the pattern with less holes the more chance of putting enough pellets in it to kill your target. but just don't forget that also the further out you shoot the less power you get hence the reason 30-35 is the best as it has good power and a good shot group

Sorry but that is a very obvious fabrication. It is totally apparent that you could possibly make that statement for a specific gun with a specific choke firing a specific cartridge with specific shot size, but as a general sweeping statement it is - how should I put it - rather silly.

I'd also disagree with that range - I'm sure that a pigeon in a pattern at 15m will stand a much greater chance of dying than one at 35m. But this is really impossible to prove, so I will accept that you believe what you say.

wannabefisher

Would you tell your FEO that what you done was the right choice :hmm:

would you tell you FEO that you once left your shotgun out overnight? Or that there may be some .22 rounds left in your car? Or that you once forgot to unload a magazine when you drove from one field to the other?

In answer to your question - probably not. But for the reason that there would be no point in starting a potentially contentious issue with him, regardless of whether I thought it was right or wrong. However I would have no problems telling him about the times I have shot driven boar near Berlin. It goes to show how odd peoples' ideas about shooting are.

would you tell you FEO that you once left your shotgun out overnight? Or that there may be some .22 rounds left in your car? Or that you once forgot to unload a magazine when you drove from one field to the other?

In answer to your question - probably not. But for the reason that there would be no point in starting a potentially contentious issue with him, regardless of whether I thought it was right or wrong. However I would have no problems telling him about the times I have shot driven boar near Berlin. It goes to show how odd peoples' ideas about shooting are.

Never done any of the above mate :hmm:

Ps, do you realise your FEO could be reading this :good:

Sorry but that is a very obvious fabrication. It is totally apparent that you could possibly make that statement for a specific gun with a specific choke firing a specific cartridge with specific shot size, but as a general sweeping statement it is - how should I put it - rather silly.

I'd also disagree with that range - I'm sure that a pigeon in a pattern at 15m will stand a much greater chance of dying than one at 35m. But this is really impossible to prove, so I will accept that you believe what you say.

You sir do not have the first idea what you are talking about.

Last season I shot a fast moving Teal that got up right in front of me while walking accross a marsh. It was a snap shot which resulted in it being shot at no more than 8 -10 yards away. I blew a hole through it from just behind it's breast and out its tail. When my dog retrieved it it was still alive and I had to wring its neck.

As for shooting a boar while moving they are one hell of a lot bigger and the calibre of rifle means that it delivers far more energy. And also the kill zones are a lot bigger not not mention the rifles are usually set up for fast target aquisition using red dot or similar. I also doubt that the boar are shot at anywhere near 100 yards seeing as though a lot of people use rifled slugs trough a shotgun.

Just accept the fact that you made an error of judgement and move on from this.

I think many shooting folk are hypocrites when talking about shooting, especially shotgun shooting.I can recall countless magazine articles stressing that one shouldn't shoot at anything beyond 35m, yet other articles (often in the same issue) where an author has patted himself rather publicly on the back for shooting a pigeon or whatever at 60m or more!

Lets face it many areas of the country have a huge following because of their 'high birds', boasting of the height they show their birds. :hmm:

would you tell you FEO that you once forgot to unload a magazine when you drove from one field to the other?

Interesting one that.. I spoke with an FEO about all these urban myths.. loaded clips.. gun security and he told me there is no specific law about all of this, as long as you exhibit common sense. Its quite acceptable to have say loaded clips upon your person and the gun secure when travelling from field to field.. or shoot to shoot.

As for the shooting issue.. what a great shot.. 115 yards, nice. :hmm:

I myself take great pleasure in dropping foxes happily trotting towards me at 150 yards.. puts a smile on my face,

I love taking birds at 40 yards up.. and watching them crumple.. sometimes unfortunately they don't.. but you need those to be able to hit the ones that do.

I love hitting bunnies sprinting away with my .22lr.. strafing rounds into the target.

I've hit hares with a shotgun that cartwheel and get up.. to be dispatched with another round. it happens.

I think the OP's point that it was a lucky shot was probably a bit of modesty creeping in.. no one confesses to being a good/crack shot, Its unlikely that any experienced shooter willingly takes a shot that they have doubt about. its probably self conscious.

.17 is a cracking weapon.... well done on getting into it and seeing what it can do. :good:

You sir do not have the first idea what you are talking about.

Last season I shot a fast moving Teal that got up right in front of me while walking accross a marsh. It was a snap shot which resulted in it being shot at no more than 8 -10 yards away. I blew a hole through it from just behind it's breast and out its tail. When my dog retrieved it it was still alive and I had to wring its neck.

As for shooting a boar while moving they are one hell of a lot bigger and the calibre of rifle means that it delivers far more energy. And also the kill zones are a lot bigger not not mention the rifles are usually set up for fast target aquisition using red dot or similar. I also doubt that the boar are shot at anywhere near 100 yards seeing as though a lot of people use rifled slugs trough a shotgun.

Just accept the fact that you made an error of judgement and move on from this.

right. So because you shot a hole in a teal, I am wrong to think that generalising all shotguns into one "ideal range" is wrong. That makes a lot of sense.

Wannabefisher.

If, you're so right, why do you think the whole forum seems to be agaist you?

Maybe.. you're wrong?

Perhaps you should read the whole thread before posting. And perhaps if some weren't so keen to label me as giving the antis ammo, being unsafe etc then some more people might be inclined to join in the debate. As it is, I don't blame them for staying away. Witness to this is the first few replies to the thread.

Perhaps you should read the whole thread before posting. And perhaps if some weren't so keen to label me as giving the antis ammo, being unsafe etc then some more people might be inclined to join in the debate. As it is, I don't blame them for staying away. Witness to this is the first few replies to the thread.

That's because you are giving the anti's ammo, and you are unsafe.