first shot with the .17

wannabefisher

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Building a defence on the basis of its ok to take that shot (running Hare at 114m with an HMR) because people take moving shots on birds in flight with shot guns is rediculous.

You wouldn't tell your FEO because you know this is contentious and you shouldn't have bought it to an open forum, especially if you had any respect for our sport.

More importantly, you have a duty and responsibility to the animal and to ensure that it is killed as humanely as possible. Which you chose to ignore regardless of the result being efficient or not.

In my opinion, if you know the ground and are aware of your surrondings it is acceptable to take a shot at a MOVING target, not a RUNNING target, i know for a fact if a fox is "trotting" across a field infront of me on the ground i shoot on i would take what marksmen call an "ambush" shot where you line up the scope just infront of target and wait for the target to enter your crosshairs, this is a quite common shot for anyone that regularly shoots foxes and i find very effective, sometimes on ground with lamp shy foxes they will not stop no matter how much you whistle/call....If you were never to shoot at a moving target in the case of foxes then the game on your estate would suffer in my opinion..

I see various points from both sides, one point in particular that stands out is the "eat what you shoot" point....on the land i shoot on we will shoot ALOT of rabbits but none will be picked up usually as this is a pest control scenario and not for the food aspect, this is by no means disrespectful to the quarry as we always strive to get "clean shots" and usually if a shot is not a clean kill a mercy shot will be taken where possible, i think it is unrealistic for anyone to say you've never shot at a rabbit, had a bad hit and had to say "sorry bunny" as it dissapears behind a wall....

Just my opinion...

Gixer..

Edited by gixer1

have you not wondered why no body agrees that this was a good shot to take? after 6 pages of a people telling you why it was wrong, u are still being hard headed and thinking you right after all the viewson it. u are the only one who thinks you re right does this not tell you anything? , just read throught the posts on this thread, you where wrong to take the shot , now just have more of an open mind and admit you are wrong? it will get you alot more respect .

Ryan

I hope there is nobody around my way waving a .17hmr around at running targets. :good: I own one & know what they can do.

I would not be happy seeing it, i bet your firearms oficer wouldn't either. :lol::lol::lol:

If you told him you wanted to shoot running hares with it on your application i don't think you would be holding a licence. :lol:

Just my opinion but hope you never shoot down my way. :)

Sorry if you think i am being over cautious but i just don't think there is room in this country for people to be waving rifles around.

I hope there is nobody around my way waving a .17hmr around at running targets. :good: I own one & know what they can do.

I would not be happy seeing it, i bet your firearms oficer wouldn't either. :lol::lol::lol:

If you told him you wanted to shoot running hares with it on your application i don't think you would be holding a licence. :lol:

Sorry if you think i am being over cautious but i just don't think there is room in this country for people to be waving rifles around.

The bullet would merely stop in the ground. An unsafe shot would be when the hare starts running onto high ground or on a surface that would easily ricochet. That's my opinion.

The bullet would merely stop in the ground. An unsafe shot would be when the hare starts running onto high ground or on a surface that would easily ricochet. That's my opinion.

Yes the hmr bullet on 99% of occasions would stop, expand, disintegrate, but it depends on the ground, angle, backstop.

When following a ground target, of this size, at speed, in this country, not Africa or any other wide open space where back stops do not matter, in the heat of the moment, can you be sure of all these factors?

I don't think so!!!!

If you can't be 100% sure, don't do it.

That's why I said "a surface that would easily ricochet"

My apologies for not noting your comment above but i still wouldn't recomend swinging a rifle at anything in this country other than them tin ducks on the fairground air gun range.

Just my opinion, but rather safe than sorry.

OK I'll reply to this as you aren't setting off my troll alerts, yet

post-11665-1233325505.jpg

Given that the arc the hare was running on in the time it took me to see it and shoot it comprises such a TINY fraction of the available angle for a safe shot - how does the fact I "waved the gun about" make this any less safe then had the target been stationary?