mink or otter???

This morning around 7am all pheasants in the wood adjacent to the house were being disturbed by something and two huge carp from the pond had been eaten leaving only a few scales and a bit of flesh. Ive heard otters leave the bones is that true? im not to sure so thought i'd ask u lot 1st. got a live catch trap i can put out but not to keen on catching an otter or alternativly just sit and wait with the rifle i suppose?

any advice would be appreciated. :good:

Edited by cat amongst the pigeons

Sand traps and see what walks around mate, pick up some scraps of whats left and put it in the middle of a load of sand laid out about 1/2 inch deep (sq mtr area)? Small prints mink, large Otter, the first you can do something about the later - your in trouble!

Mink in my opinion will be opperational late afternoon, early morning, bait a trap with a fish head and see what happens - make it big enough though because l've seen mink (male ones) up to almost two ft long, reminising now of the days out with the mink hounds! :good:

Otters on the other hand are brasen creatures and will make there presence known soon enough if they are about. Both will clear your pond as its capitive lunches are probably getting big! You should be able to follow and find where Otters are as they a big animals needing big holes to live in!

Your not anywhere near a reserve? :beer:

Does anyone know the laws regarding mink traps and rafts?

Defra or whoever it is has put one on my flight pond, (with the owners permission I should add) but they have put it right where I feed the pond.

Can I move it? Do I need to tell them or will they just find it? They had left a printed letter stapled to the top of it but it has rained a bit since they left it and I can't read what it says.

There are no footprints in the pad in it at the moment.

Quote:"Break it open, give it a sniff, if it smells of musk and ****, it's an mink.

If it smells of (at least, the slightest hint) of lavender it's an otter." found some and it does smell fruity/lavendery but i decided against picking it up :good:

i think its almost definatly an otter as neighbours have told me they had heard high pitched noises thinking it was a bird. Also you can see where its been slipping in and out of the water on various parts of the bank and a nice scattering of scales!

now thing is how do i keep the little ******* away? dont really fancy loosing over £1000's of fish :)

i was thinking maybe one of those high frequency deterrant things they use 2 keep cats away? or an electric fence like u say.

any other thoughts?