ratting with the rat pack

shore_shot

In my misspent youth, we used a hose from the exhaust of a diesel truck to "gas" them out and once we used an inflammatory liquid.

This last method is not recommended.

The only thing that saved me from a slow death, was the fact that it was a very old unused chicken shed that burnt down. :lol:

Ferrets were the best option every time. ;)

Had a major porblem with them in the chicken coop.....looked like a rabbit warren!!!!!!!!..........

Blocked all exit holes from the 'quadrangle'

Got a length o flexible pipe and funel ................. tipped paraphyn into several holes...... and sparked up.

Didnt bolt them straight away..... took a while for the runs to fill with smoke and flames.

ended up with 7...........

Paul in North Lincs.

I got a rat problem on my shoot however they are very light shy, after a couple of very successful trips they are very wary of the light and so everytime i put the light on they are gone before i get a chance to squeeze off a shot. Tried different colour lights with no luck, they just dont like the light!

Any ideas?

Edited by Jon-Boy

Hi Jon

As I've mentioned before, I've used the following methods to some success.:-

Place a half open can of tuna or pilchard in a good vantage point, perferably on the main run, which if there are alot of rats about will be quite noticable. Place the tin in a large empty crisp packet, the scrunch the bag so that that its nearly closed. Get into position with no lights on. Wait until you can hear ratty rustling the crisp packet.. trying to get at the fish. flick lamp on.................then shoot.

Alternatively, get hold of a small battery opertated camping lamp. and leave it on throughout the night, along with a treat underneath. Do this for 4 or 5 days without shooting. Ratty will soon become acustomed to the light and associate it with dinner. When you are ready to shoot, all you have to do is hide up and wait

Hope this helps

Paul in North Lincs

Edited by Paul in North Lincs.

ive also tried the crisp bag trick, works well but the rats are "scittish" now even a little light they are off like a bullet!!

I also have trouble in getting them out in the open, most shots are taken between two sheds where they like to run and hide under.

Im now gonna head out and buy some of those cheap solar powered lights and make some sort of dim light to put over the top .

Should work well, no need to change batterys turns off in the day and comes on at night.