carp fishing?

cooke103

hi ive been offerd to go carp fishing in a couple of weeks. i am really looking forward to it but i am a fly fisher and my knowlage of course fishing is limted. if it were me i would cast out a float and hook with a few maggots on the end.

what is the best methord for catching carp in a pond?

is there any gear i need, i have a good enough rod and reel but apart from that all i have is a few floats and hooks.

thanks for any suggestions

jake

It really does depend on where you are going.

If its a local day ticket water, then float ledgering, or feeder fishing will probably be the best options.

I would use nothing less than 6lb reel line and 4lb hook lengths, if its mainly "small" (up to 10lbs) carp.

Maggots, or worm is a great Winter bait.

Hopefully, the person who issued the invite, may have some more specific local knowledge. ;)

If its a small commercial dayticket water the chances are the pond will be well stocked and have a good head of small to medium sized carp in the 3 to 6lb bracket perhaps a few larger specimens which in winter will be difficult to catch.

If the fish are of this order a decent heavy feeder rod for bottom fishing coupled with a 6 lb line will suffice or a 13 foot wagler rod similarly loaded if considering float fishing.

Find out a bit about the water the usual stamp of fish caught and what catches them.

If I were going to a dayticket water cold without any prior knowledge I would be tempted to keep the rig simple with a straight link ledger or open ended feeder and probably alternate between sweetcorn ( A good all-round bait summer or winter) and bread flake. If the bottom is silty maggots tend to bury themselves in it and if the water is cold ( which is likely ) are virtually inactive after a few minutes.

Dont discount the lob worm I always take a few. On their day they can be the finest natural bait for wary carp.

If the Carp are larger say into the 20,s stay at home in front of the fire and watch total fishing with Matt hayes and dream of warmer months when you can entice them off the top with a floating crust or biscuit.

Happy Days. ;)

Good Luck.

FM.

thanks guys i phoned the man yesturday and he said that he has a kit all rigged up for me. apparenty we will be lobbing loads of ground bait out in one spot and be ledgering. he has loads of baits like hemp and sweetcorn i can use. he also said some thing about boileys?

i'll find out soon

thanks

jake

i would say use a feeder rig!! as the carp will be around the bottom, fill the feeder with ground bait from the shop that will be there and ask them what the best bait is to use at the moment or what the carp are feeding on at the moment. i use 14-10 size hooks usually on a haire rib but depends on bait!! hope tis helps happy fishing

nick !!

What ever you do don't fill it in with bait as they wont be really feeding much yet, it's still very cold.

If your going to use boilies I wouldn't go for fishmeal base mixs as they are too oily for cold water. Try using some fluro pop ups (frank Warwicks are OK). Dont let anyone tell you maggots are **** for carp, some of the countrys biggest carp have fallen to them but you'll find that you'll get messed around with roach and stuff. Failing that a method feeder and maize won't go far wrong.

Tight lines. ;)