Decoying cassettes

Steve

Hi guys.

Not exactly pigeon shooting gear, but it might be of interest to someone.

Due to a SEVERE lack of pigeons in my area, I've had to spend the last 4 or 5 weeks shooting crows instead.  I've had reasonable success with decoys and a manual call, but this week I borrowed a tape of crow calls that a mate had bought on the internet and tried it.

Nicking the wife's tape player from the kitchen, I went and set up in a field not far from home.  With a few decoys out and the tape playing away, it wasn't long before the first lot came in.  The real fun started when I turned the decoys in on each other and played the "crows fighting" side of the cassette - crows came from all directions just to watch a scrap (hooligans).

Anyway, not a bad day with a total of 87 crows in 4 hours shooting.  These taped calls may require some further investigation!

Steve  ;)

you done very well to get that amount before you got the tapes what sort of bags where you getting the only time i have any luck on crows is now when the birds are pairing up i put one or two out to the side of the pattern and the birds breeding nearby wil try to drive it off

William,no mate,I'm not certain if the situation is legal,though I have often used legit purchased electronic calls for foxes.You are correct about the geese and ducks though,that is definately ILLEGAL in the U.K.I have seen in shooting times an advert from an Irish company that sells electronic calls for use over here,so I just assumed they had researched the legalities of it all.

Hi Hoppy.

I've given the tape back to the guy I borrowed it from.  I won't see him again for 3 or 4 weeks, but when I do I'll arrange to borrow it again and make a copy.

I had a great day on Saturday without any tapes.  The farmer had spread slurry on 2 field on Fri and the whole day Fri the sky was full of crows and seagulls!  Result!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys.

Not exactly pigeon shooting gear, but it might be of interest to someone.

Due to a SEVERE lack of pigeons in my area, I've had to spend the last 4 or 5 weeks shooting crows instead.  I've had reasonable success with decoys and a manual call, but this week I borrowed a tape of crow calls that a mate had bought on the internet and tried it.

Nicking the wife's tape player from the kitchen, I went and set up in a field not far from home.  With a few decoys out and the tape playing away, it wasn't long before the first lot came in.  The real fun started when I turned the decoys in on each other and played the "crows fighting" side of the cassette - crows came from all directions just to watch a scrap (hooligans).

Anyway, not a bad day with a total of 87 crows in 4 hours shooting.  These taped calls may require some further investigation!

Steve  ;)

Hi Steeve,

I read with intrest that you used a tape recording of crows can you please tell me how to get hold of such a thing, sounds intresting

reards kevin15

Hi Kevin15.  :)

Welcome to the forum (I see this is your first post).  You can order tapes from www.crowbusters.com - but I must warn you that using these tapes to decoy crows for shooting is illegal in the UK.

Might not be such a good idea if you want to hold on to your licence.   :(

PS - I never used any tapes, not ever, no sir  ;)