magnet in a tree

McF

Alan

For pi ttys sake, sit on your hands . McF is serious about this.

Problem is that I get all the:

Can we just -----------------this

How do we -----------that

How about just-------------------

Can you weld ------------- to -----------------, oh why not, what about Araldite

etc.etc. type of questions.

So whilst you are stoking McFs inventive fire, I'm thinking about places on the permission that you can land the air ambulance; wondering which tree he will decide to ascend, for rest assured, the only way to stop this man may be to disable him before he gets within striking distance of the shoot.

webber

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot believe I'm getting involved in this mentalist thread (!), but here goes :) ...

Bear with me on this....

A much simpler and cheaper method would be helium-filled pigeon shaped ballons attached to fishing line.

You could just fill 'em up and let them rise up to the right height, then tie them to a twig.

Bit rubbish in a wind though, but could you imagine how simple they would be to use, if you had a little helium-filled cannister to give the balloons a quick fill-up.

I've said it now and I'm not mad, honest!

I have a solution but you'd need to have clear sight of a thickish branch near the top

of the tree, or climb up the first time.

Make up a 3 or 4 meter rod with the deek at one end, a reasonable weight at the other

and a rope hook near the middle.

Using a catapult fire a thin line over the branch near the top, then pull a stronger line

capable of pulling the 'assembly' up.

When you have the line in place pull the rod up. As long as your branch is <2M from the

top of the tree the deek will be over the tree tops.

If you were willing to climb up you could tie a pulley to the branch you're using to

make hoisting easier. You could then leace the pulley/lines in place for the next time

you're out.

?

Nial.

I know...

Buy a sapling from your local garden centre, dig a hole, plant it and backfill with John Innes No3, water it with Miracle Grow once a week, strap a magnet to the tallest branch and hey presto... in 50 years time you'll have the perfect roosting decoy.

But you'll also need to create some sort of paved wheelchair access to the tree so you can reap the benefit and get to the tree safely in half a century's time.

And a portaloo might come in handy too. And maybe a small outhouse so your carer/nurse can remain warm while your shooting.

:good:

Just to give Webber a few more palputations........go to the scrappers and pick up sections of TV antenna towers they come in about 8 foot sections and fasten together with bolts through the 3 legs. Stap each section off to the tree as you assemble......of course being sure that you yourself are tied off as you go. This will give you a ready ladder and a platform for the rottery to sit on and be attatched to, and can be assembled to the desired hieght on site.

McF you would be all set and ready and you would be able to assemble the tower and leave it in place.

Sorry Webber but it has got to be done :good:

NTTF

Gee thanks NTTF

I really appreciate that input.

Fortunately, one local scrap yard has closed, and the other was virtually emptied out when the Chinese were buying scrap as fast as possible. The yard now fragments stock virtually as it arrives.

My days of steel erecting have passed, and I have no intentions of rekindling them even for my friend Mcf, or the woodies that we both love to shoot.

webber

Gee thanks NTTF

I really appreciate that input.

Fortunately, one local scrap yard has closed, and the other was virtually emptied out when the Chinese were buying scrap as fast as possible. The yard now fragments stock virtually as it arrives.

My days of steel erecting have passed, and I have no intentions of rekindling them even for my friend Mcf, or the woodies that we both love to shoot.

webber

Mc F,

If the scrappers are empty call around to some of the cable and satalite instulation guys as most of them remove the old towers as part of their package. I am sure the jackpot is right around the corner :good:

Besdies if you can come up with the towers you know Webber will help you put them up.......I hear he still plays with micano :blink:

This is an idea that needs to be seen through :hmm:

NTTF

your off your rocker MCF lol well as you say he who dares! best thing to do is cut the whole bloody tree down ratchet strap it to the top then get a few peopl lift it up and then add guide ropes lol...

To set the scene for everyone. The trees that McF is after tackling are fir trees, when in a previous post I said they were mature, I meant in the region of 200 years mature.

McFs idea is a good one, but only if you can get the magnet high enough. I haave visions of rope laders and 6" nails knocked in.

webber

Hey guys keep your ideas coming ,Webber knows i wont give up until i decide it cant be done, the idea is a good one i know it is, and i will be in the pound seat when i achieve it, if not this Saturday the next.

I have now attached the magnet to the extending pole it is extendable by 8ft and im in the process of making some shorter arms for the magnet, i just need a safe way of getting up the tree.

Cherry picker is out, scaffold tower is out (webber scraped it on me) looking at some spiked tree climbing boots and some kind of strap to go around the tree and attach it to me.

Come guys i know we can succeed in this. :blink: :good:

Edited by McF

Hey guys keep your ideas coming ,Webber knows i wont give up until i decide it cant be done, the idea is a good one i know it is, and i will be in the pound seat when i achieve it, if not this Saturday the next.

I have now attached the magnet to the extending pole it is extendable by 8ft and im in the process of making some shorter arms for the magnet, i just need a safe way of getting up the tree.

Cherry picker is out, scaffold tower is out (webber scaped it on me) looking at some spiked tree climbing boots and some kind of strap to go around the tree and attach it to me.

Come guys i know we can succeed in this. :blink: :good:

McF

Lets get this quite clear.

Less of the WE!

Don't forget that some of those trees are pushing 100ft.

With this one you're on your own.

All I've signed up for is coat holding, air ambulance calling, immediate first aid, and a decent eulogy.

However, should you by some quirk of inspired genius or sheer good luck, succeed, I shall of course be happy to help you shoot the woodies.

webber

I`m picturing a Tom and Jerry moment .

If the trees are 100 ft tall you need a winch and a landrover and a grapling hook .

Throw the hook as far up the tree as you can and winch in the cable pulling the top of the tree closer to the ground .

Attach pigeon magnet and slowly release winch cable , which then raises the rotory back up with the tree and removes the need for climbing .

Sorry Webber but if you cant beat em join em.........

how about putting a bouncer or two on long poles and stick them out the top of said tree? you could put the foot of the bouncer on a swivel so it follows the wind like a weather vein as per Mikee's idea (seperate thread).. if you still wanted to climb you could go half way up the tree to sie the pole in B)

I agree with Cranfield, if you know how to shoot pigeon and do so on a regular basis you should know your roosting woods, take time to study the wood for some time a few days at least, look from where the wind mostly blows and what direction, ALWAYS get the wind behind your back, just wait and shoot the birds before they settle, you will know where to stand as hopefully you have done your homework, it's tempting to move around as a lot of the early birds will sit anywhere dont chase them around the wood as you will spend time walking around and not shooting,I have shot hundreds of pigeons and had so much sport. Good luck.

This is now beginning to sound like a script for wiley coyote and the road runner cartoon . Rember that the coyote allways ,but allways came to grief .

Harnser .

Thats right Harnser but can you imagine instant internet fame on youtube

come on Mcf

Hi guys

No ive not given up on my idea, just been busy for a few days, the shorter arms are now made and painted so the magnet is ready, i will be talking to a member off here over the phone tomorrow to pick each others brains on how my goal can be achieved without to much heartbreak to Webber, my family and friends. :no:

Ive seen Webber today and hes still trying to talk me out of the idea :D but says if im sucessful in creating the ultimate pigeon roosting attracting system he will gladly take up position close buy. :good:

so for those who think the idea is a goer keep coming up with ideas,

For those who think its not tuff i know it is and will be trying my best to prove it this Saturday afternoon.

photos of my achievement or not will be posted on here.

Wish me luck.

Mcf