magnet in a tree

McF

Very Good Webber a good report :o but rest assured i have not given up, i now relise that the project needs more time and effort than i can give it at the moment (work) however i will be giving it some more thought this week as i know if i can get those decoys spinning in the top of that tree im onto a winner. :o.

Those who have posted ideas on here thanks, :welcomeani: some good, some bad and some dam right daft, however after yesterdays escapade climbing the tree, and balancing on a branch at the top is a no no, well at my age it is. so i think the best way is to spend time building a small platform at the top so you have suitable footing, you can then trim the very top branches off with either a bow saw or branch clippers with extendable arms.

You will need two free hands to secure the magnet to a suitable branch with the rachet straps, as for getting up the tree i will now opt for a ladder of some sort as climbing up and down the tree via the branches can be quite tiresome i had to do three times as dropped the rachet strap then dropped a magnet arm, whilest Webber took Ian & Mike to their chosen spots.

The one other thing that you dont need is the grim reaper riding round on his quad in his hooded black cloak & sythe. :oops:

Edited by McF

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had a PM from McF, explaining his latest contraption to me. At least I think that this one stands a chance of success. He'll never admit that the magnet idea in a tree is shelved, just postponed.

Oh, his latest gem. An 11metre fishing pole, utilised to loft two full bodied decoys up a tree. Much more conventional, much more sensible.

I've copied my PM to him below.

webber

My dearest McF

If you are seeking a round of applause, I fear that you may strain your hearing. Your latest contraption ( which I am sure will work) is a far cry from your previous hair brained idea, which has only been sidelined due to equipment faiure, and the on set of semi geriatric vertigo.

Regards

John

I've just had a PM from McF, explaining his latest contraption to me. At least I think that this one stands a chance of success. He'll never admit that the magnet idea in a tree is shelved, just postponed.

Oh, his latest gem. An 11metre fishing pole, utilised to loft two full bodied decoys up a tree. Much more conventional, much more sensible.

I've copied my PM to him below.

webber

My dearest McF

If you are seeking a round of applause, I fear that you may strain your hearing. Your latest contraption ( which I am sure will work) is a far cry from your previous hair brained idea, which has only been sidelined due to equipment faiure, and the on set of semi geriatric vertigo.

Regards

John

this is what i do. take the top two off and then shove the bird on the end, i have hooks made of 4mm solid copper so i can just hook the birds up. then when packing up i just give the birds a shove and they fall to the ground.

as for the magnet up a tree.....carry on as i have had some right giggles trying to imagine McF up a tree with one leg through the ladder and the magnet arm through the back of his jacket like a coat hanger.

wish i could comic sketch draw.lol.

regards

Phil

The lofting pole is only in desperation as i just have not got the time to give the magnet idea my full attension and this saturday is our last roost shoot till next february. ???

However if the 11metre pole proves long enough to reach beyond the top of selected tree my next idea will be to attach webbers battery operated flapper to the pole. :oops:

But rest assured the ones with little faith the magnet in the tree idea will be achieved at some point i promise, and then i may let Webber use my lofting pole idea so he can get to shoot some pigeons, as his roost shooting count over the last 3 weeks as been pretty dismal to say the least. ;):good::drool:

Dear McF

Following our meeting late this afternoon, I was relieved to learn that a modicum of common sense has descended. However your plans to erect a platform at the top of your chosen tree may feel good under foot, and may seem a spiffing idea as you dream of success in your slumbers.

I fear that you are forgetting that some have been rebuked by the shoot hierarchy for building stiles and ditch bridges, the shoot is in danger of becoming a sanctuary for foxes, so I doubt that your planned tree house, sorry platform will be sanctioned, even if you try to sell it as a high seat, which would be more use assuming that we ever do get permission to shoot foxes.

webber

Haven't re-read the whole thread(didn't think I had that long to live ??? )so someone may have suggested this already.

Was thinking about this the other day as I'm roost shooting on Saturday, I wondered about putting a bouncer or two up there on

lofting poles. I think mine would work well if I can manage to clear any branches which might stop it moving round. :oops:

I'll let you know if I try it!

Great thread!!!

Have you thought about contacting the PARAs, they have an Aerial Confidence course, i think at Aldershot, perhaps you could persuade them to give you the plans. then during the next 11months loads of time to get it put up. you could have as many platforms, wire walkways between trees, with scramble nets to get you there.

I work for an electricity company and for a not unsubstantial reward i could get a small pylon built with extension arms for the spinners and a nice safe platform for your hide!!! give it some thought : :P:good:

PS what about using a rifle similar to what the navy boys use for getting ropes between ships, 100ft would be no problem.

Sorry didnt mean to take the p***

Trooper82

You've done it now.

McF knows all too well that I used to work on an aerial rope way used to transport glass batch from the batch plant to the glass furnaces. I even fell off a tower once, and broke 3 ribs, thanks to a harness, I am here today.

McFs little brain cells will be doing overtime once he's read your post. No doubt he will produce some corn flake packet sketch design and expect the finished article for two donkey stones and half a box of damp cartridges.

webber

I was browsing the internet and found this

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x308/ma...ow/offshore.jpg

Thought you might adapt it to run the blades horizontally for 3 deeks. I suspect they just copied a maget design anyway then put the blades vertically. I am sure Webber will oblige with an angle grinder and a welder

The really big plus is that it is self braked at 70mph wind speed which I thought adds to safety :good:

Edited by malkiserow

Well, our roost pigeon shooting season has now come to an end.

McF almost succeeded in getting a magnet in a tree, but then allowed his attentions to be diverted for a simpler option which was too hand all the time.

Yesterday he turned up with his dads best perch pole "it's 10 metres", a piece of aluminium rod bent to suitable shape and 2 newly acquired full bodies flock coated decoys.

McF recons that they worked, which I dont doubt, lofting decoys is tried and tested. It was however obvious that 10 metres is no where near long enough. As we walked side by side out of the woods carrying the equipment, I could fainly hear him muttering about joining two poles together, some how I do feel that this sags has some way to run. I'll keep you all posted.

webber

• 2 weeks later...
Now that the game season is over attentions turn to roost shooting pigeon throughout Febuary.

I was wondering how to attract the pigeons into the trees or close to the tree tops, i have tried lofting poles many years ago with little success as i always seemed to want to get the decoys higher than i could reach.

However today i was thinking of ways you could get a magnet into the top of a tree and would it have the desired affect.

I know the magnet would have to be clear of the very top branches for the arms to spin, and also thought to shorten the arms so that they dont bounce around as much in the wind.

I would use rachet straps to secure the magnet to the tree.

So heres the question as anyone on here ever tried this if so your as mad as me :D , and also if you have tried it did it work ?

You truly are the mst intense pigeon shooter on earth. :good: I am just glad there are people out there who are more focused than me. :lol:

I think it is a great theoretical idea but whether it works or not would be very interesting to know. :lol: If you could get it up there I would imagine the pigeon would feel drawn to it and confident as no one has done such a thing (not that I know of).

Good luck on you mission for next years pigeon roost.

Si

• 1 month later...
I think it would be a lot easier to make a radio control single decoy which rotates or moves its wings - suspended from a hook rather like a lofting pole. Most of what you need would be in one of those cheapo r/c electric cars including the power source and gears etc.

It would be relatively easy to get it to tilt/nod by activating an extended servo horn, or cut open and assemble the parts inside a deek with a wheel that would turn it around on a base that holds a gel battery. Just turn it on if a potential victim flies by.

I have just made a flapper decoy like this, its a full bodied decoy with an RC rockcrawler drive axle in the middle, low geared it turns a cam on both sides,push-pull rods drive two skeleton wings up and down,and I fixed some foam wings to these and a tail on the back. Hope to try it next time out. Hadn,t thought of sticking up a tree yet, it should be very versatile though. Don't think it will fly up by itself tho!! :) .lofting pole or maybe hoist it up on a bit of string over a branch.