magnet in a tree

McF

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:yes::blush::blush:

Mcf..the magnet in the tree tops is a good idea but like you have realised is a tricky business to get it up there.. Hows this for an idea

You've seen the spinning washing lines that people have in their back garden. use the wind to turn your contraption not an elec motor and batt. Use some different size box section, put some small pulleys on the side to elevate them ( remembering to put stops on ) a bearing on the top with your spinning device on, strap pole to the tree. elevate the only thing you'll have to work out is how to regulate it spinning in strong winds and how to make the wind catch it in the right place to make it turn

It has potential that idea

Sorry webber if this gives you more work :hmm:

richard

Edited by richie76

I've had a little time to think about this, bit of brainstorming etc and this is the idea I want to run up the flagpole and see if any one salutes it!!!!

So far everything has been based around getting the whirly upward IE from the ground to the top of the trees, with all the dangers to both McF's health and the ever obliging Mr Webber's wallet. My idea is how about lowering the rotary down from above!

Now I know you're thinking 1) Why didn't I think of that. 2) It's always the simplest ideas that are the best. and 3) where the hell is McF going to get a helicopter from? but lets face it, a helicopter would be stupid, the noise would scare off any pigeon for miles around.

No, what you need is an ex army (German c1918) Zeppelin, hover at about 1500' above the ground and lower the magnet on a rope about 1440' long so, if my maths is correct at 60' above ground will be a pair of circling decoys - Job Done.

The only problem McF, and I don't think it's insurmountable, is do you know anyone who can keep the old Zepp topped up with helium (or hydrogen if you fancy a bit of danger)

Hope this helps

Mr. Potter

I've had a little time to think about this, bit of brainstorming etc and this is the idea I want to run up the flagpole and see if any one salutes it!!!!

So far everything has been based around getting the whirly upward IE from the ground to the top of the trees, with all the dangers to both McF's health and the ever obliging Mr Webber's wallet. My idea is how about lowering the rotary down from above!

Now I know you're thinking 1) Why didn't I think of that. 2) It's always the simplest ideas that are the best. and 3) where the hell is McF going to get a helicopter from? but lets face it, a helicopter would be stupid, the noise would scare off any pigeon for miles around.

No, what you need is an ex army (German c1918) Zeppelin, hover at about 1500' above the ground and lower the magnet on a rope about 1440' long so, if my maths is correct at 60' above ground will be a pair of circling decoys - Job Done.

The only problem McF, and I don't think it's insurmountable, is do you know anyone who can keep the old Zepp topped up with helium (or hydrogen if you fancy a bit of danger)

Hope this helps

Mr. Potter

Mr. Potter

They do say that great minds think alike.

Only yesterday I suggested to McF that he could learn to fly a model helicopter. Once he's mastered it (not easy) we just need a machine big enough for the job.

With reference to the Zeppelin idea, have you forgot what I do for a job?

webber

"With reference to the Zeppelin idea, have you forgot what I do for a job?"

I hadn't forgotten Mr Webber but I was hoping McF had! What is the cost of a couple of hundred thousand cubic metres of Helium these days can't be much more than pocket money can it?

Regards

Mr Potter

Love this thread. Have you thought about putting the cat amongst the pigeons idea.

Get a cat to climb the tree by using slingshot to fire catfood into high branches then phone firebrigade who will rush out with engine complete with extending ladder to rescue said cat, a wee backhander should suffice to entice fireman to tie on magnet while he is up there.

Right now you've got me toying with ideas.

Gerry

Ok if your not keen on the cat up tree then how about this one,

Climbing the tree is not the problem but falling out is so get climbing rope, harness and belay devices to ensure safety with rope controlled by mate at bottom, once a good safe position found bolt on to trunk a support arm angled up and out into clear space, this can be fitted on solid tree below the flimsy top, a sliding pulley system will allow you to position magnet and pulley out to end stop with battery at the bottom.

A permanent fixture would be good but wind problems. At least this allows you to climb,fit, climb,remove and abseil down. If conifer a climbing path will need to be cut.

Gerry

Well guys i failed in my quest today, : :lol: i couldnt find a suitable tree to climb to get the magnet above the very top branches, maybe im not as daft as i use to be. :good:

However i have found a nice little spot on one of the bounderies with some slightly smaller trees that seemed to be under a flight line so my intensions this week is to attach the magnet to some lofting poles and hopefully get it above the very top branches, all be it i may still have to climb a tree to achieve this :lol:

so you've another week to come up with a suitable idea. :o

"maybe im not as daft as i use to be"

Well that the understatement of the decade.

Some of us whom have known you for several years are well aware that when you came up with this isane idea you did not simply cross the line; you took a giant leap. I'll help the men with white coats coax you down out of the tree, or scrape you up as the case may be.

webber

McF,

All joking aside, I'm with Webber on this one. Have you considered the wind loading on a structure such as a whirly at any height above about 4' from the ground? Even if the rotary was perfectly balanced I suspect you would need at least 4 equi-spaced guy ropes to stop the thing toppling over or taking off. Just trying to get 18' of lofting poles still enough to balance a lightweight decoy on a branch is proof that a couple of kilos of magnet will be well nigh impossible.

Eat humble pie, buy that nice Mr Webber a pint (or two) and put off your visit to the coroner for another half century at least.

Mr Potter

(or you could tell us that you've done it but didn't bring any birds in so you'll not bother again - I wont tell honest)

Mr Potter if the first person who ever tried to fly had given up on his first go, the aeroplane would nether of been invented. :o

My magnet is the pinewood type and weighs no more than a pound and half,the motor is upright not like a wiper motor so the balance is not that bad, i have also made shorter stiffer arms for it so the woble factor when up on the hide poles shouldnt be that great, and i intend to fastern it securely in a few places on the tree.

Mcf

Edited by McF

I've been having a think about this & I think I've cracked it :o

It would have to be a semi permanent contraption so you'd have to pick your position wisely.

First off you would need to find a straight a tree as possible I pressume you're planning this assault in a roosting wood so I'm sure there are some convienient straight pines available, Get your ladders and clear one side of the tree all the way to the top, then you need to get some comercial electricians heavy duty trunking the C section type, screw this to the side of the tree & install a pulley wheel at the top, then weld a frame to hold the magnet tight to the sides of the C section.

Its then a case of setting up the magnet on the deck with long enough cable to the battery on the floor then hoisting it up. Bobs your uncle:good:

McF have you got a fax so I could send you some sketches & plans?

SS

As promised McF

Here's my idea

TreeMagnet.jpg

Hope you get the jist of it.

I designed a wheeled runner plate to run within the C section of the trunking & came up with a welded plate at the top of the trunking with 2 locator spikes to hold the runner plate secure & firm when run up to the top. You would then need to tie off securely the rope at the base of the tree. This would hold the magnet firmly when at the top.

Hopefully this helps, obviously it would need some more thought...is this where Webber comes in to play?

If this goes global I wanna slice of the pie ???

Edited by Stealth Stalker

SS

Looks like you are the founder member of the McF supporters club. You've certainly had your thinking cap on. Mr.Potter has taken wind speed and loading into account, and McF has attempted to factor in "wobble factor". I cant recall that as one of Newtons laws, so its probably an old pit term used to express a system which is operating in an out of balance or state of equilibrium.

Cook up a couple more ideas and you'll get a GCSE in CDT.

McF will need around 10 lengths of track. I guess that he will be hitting ebay any time soon, and the enquiring as to the current state of my Paypal account.

webber

Shall be approaching the bishop of norwich tomorrow to ask for permission to site my rotary on top of the weather cock on norwich cathederal . Only real problem i see is that the spire is just short of 300 feet and any pigeons may be a mite to high . Do you think i could reach them with 3 inch magnum loads .

Harnser .

Three or four alloy aerial masts would perhaps do the job with the magnet on top and a trailing wire to the battery on the ground. To get it up there one guy stands on the mast at the base while the other raises it by "handwalking" it upright then lean it against a high branch in the tree.

SS your idea is very feasable i think but the top of the tree would have to be cut off and is probably suited to be attached to a conifer.

Ive been giving this some thought whilst at work and can only think that the safest way to achieve getting the magnet to the top of the selected tree is to take a 3 tier ladder with me now most of you will be thinking sod that im not carrying a bloody ladder but this is not a problem for me as my good friend Mr Webber takes his quad bike to the shoot and the landowner allows us to use a trailer to tow with the quad. (No humping for me)

So i think This Saturday seeing as its PW National Day for Grey Squirrel & Woodpigeon shooting day its going to be game on. :hmm:

Hey guys keep your ideas coming ,Webber knows i wont give up until i decide it cant be done, the idea is a good one i know it is, and i will be in the pound seat when i achieve it, if not this Saturday the next.

I have now attached the magnet to the extending pole it is extendable by 8ft and im in the process of making some shorter arms for the magnet, i just need a safe way of getting up the tree.

Cherry picker is out, scaffold tower is out (webber scraped it on me) looking at some spiked tree climbing boots and some kind of strap to go around the tree and attach it to me.

Come guys i know we can succeed in this. :hmm: :yp:

like it has been said why dont you fit the arms to lofting poles and the motor to a more powerfull magnet and hoist the arms up the tree then atach to the motior and away you go

As promised McF

Here's my idea

TreeMagnet.jpg

Hope you get the jist of it.

I designed a wheeled runner plate to run within the C section of the trunking & came up with a welded plate at the top of the trunking with 2 locator spikes to hold the runner plate secure & firm when run up to the top. You would then need to tie off securely the rope at the base of the tree. This would hold the magnet firmly when at the top.

Hopefully this helps, obviously it would need some more thought...is this where Webber comes in to play?

If this goes global I wanna slice of the pie :hmm:

BRAVO but the trunk will stop the arms spinnig wont it and hide the wirly to passing pigeons so if you sould cut the top of the tree off where the wirly is then it would spinn and open up a clear spot

I think ist a great idea find a tree with a limb sticking out enough to clear the span of the magnet at a good height use two g clamps one for the magnet one for the battery..... and your in charge mate give it a go :hmm: :yp: OH do not forget to secure the magnet to the tree with a lanyard just in case it all goes Pete Tong