magnet in a tree

McF

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another idea.....

Make an "A" frame with the magnet mounted on top with the lower spike of the magnet attached to the cross bar of the A frame. the whole magnet is above the chosed tree. Now add a further horizontal 1/3 of the way up the sides of the A.

Now attach a rope to the spike of the magnet and pull this through the top of the tree (highest branch) all done from the ground (to keep webber happy)

Feet of the A must be secured to the ground so they don't slip when the A is pulled from horizontal (lying out from the tree) to hauling down on the rope raising the A frame to vertical and touching the top of the tree.

You would need some space so a treen must be chosen carefully and the magnet operating above the canopy.

What do you think McF and Webber?

tiatia

I cant remember which idea you are laying claim to. Rest assured McF is well capable of planning and executing his own demise with little help. If you are after arranging a ring side seat for the circus on Saturday, I regret to report that the syndicate will not permit outsiders access to the land. Its a pity really, as I'm sure that I could raise a few bob for the air ambulance. I may call them on Saturday morning and pass on all the details, then arrange a cod e word which will set all their wheels into motion.

webber

Malk

I dont doubt your statement, but remember that the trees we are talking about are around 100ft high in a mixed wood. Thats some A frame with no space to errect.

webber

Webber,

That's tall! I take your point... good luck

whilst your at it, paint the air-ambulance grey and put white bars just behind the cockpit and some UV white flashes on the rotors and you just might have a good day shooting with the ultimate whirley-gig!

Malk

At the risk of being called crude, **** me what a great thread. :)

In a world where millions haven't a proverbial pot to **** in, when global warming, terrorism and inept leadership threatens all we hold dear, there are still mad, mad b*stards who are largely concerned with getting a mechanised clothes dryer 50ft up a tree to attract some manky old pigeons. I love it, my faith in human nature is restored.

My hat off to you gentlemen.

McF - I vote you for PM.

At the risk of being called crude, **** me what a great thread. :)

In a world where millions haven't a proverbial pot to **** in, when global warming, terrorism and inept leadership threatens all we hold dear, there are still mad, mad b*stards who are largely concerned with getting a mechanised clothes dryer 50ft up a tree to attract some manky old pigeons. I love it, my faith in human nature is restored.

My hat off to you gentlemen.

McF - I vote you for PM.

Men in sheds! The backbone of British innovation :hmm:

tiatia

I'm sorry, but I must insist that you run your idea past me and your PW peers. Remember that McF has to be bordering on barking mad to have come up with this alleged idea, sorry death wish.

I fear that if you do make direct contact McF may be tempted to commence proceedings without an audience or the contraption being properly engineered.

webber

find a sturdy climbable tree on the edge of the wood climb as high as you feel safe (with a harness etc) lower a rope attach a petrol chain saw to rope pull it upchop the top of the tree off fasten a platfom on top place magnet on platform might not be as high as you want but its at least half way up :good:

I had a telephone at work yesterday from McF, enquiring as to the availability of suitable ratchet straps for the tree magnet project.

When I called to collect McF this morning, his front door opened followed by a bag containing a pigeon magnet, promptly followed by McF with a grin from ear hole to ear hole, rather like a Cheshire cat. I instantly recognised that grin, I had witnessed it several times before in time past, so I was quite confident of the outcome that was to manifest itself a few hours later.

We arrived at the shoot, unloaded the quad and hitched up the trailer, loaded all the gear and headed off towards the specially selected spot, chosen by McF for its quite low trees. At least he had suspended the notion of a 100ft. giant. I spotted an Oak tree which looked like an easy climb. McF was soon handing over his mobile telephone, not because it would make it easier for me to contact his next of kin, but because he had forgot his digital camera, and I was to capture the event on his mobile phone camera. McF quickly climbed over the fence, and I quickly managed to screw up his phone. Whilst McF scaled the tree faster than a tom cat on a promise,I reverted to my own mobile phone camera, and screwed that up in the time it took McF to ascend 20ft. or so. Mike was therefore rapidly appointed as chief photographer, and instructed to keep snapping, even if it was at McF descending free fall.

The contraption was hauled up the tree by two ratchet straps hooked together, some time went by whilst McF assembled the magnet, birds etc. I could hardly contain myself when McF pronounced that the arms were too long. Up went the bush saw, and the tree received a top side manicure. AS time was pressing on I left McF up the tree, he looked at piece with the world. I dropped Mike and Ian off at their chosen spot, made a minor detour to investigate some shots, and returned to McF, who was on his way down the tree. As he reached Terra firma, he mumbled something, announced that he had lost one of the arms, and declared a re match next week, tooled up with shorter arms, and a 3 section ladder.

With luck we will be able to post the pictures in a day or two.

At least McF escaped with only his ego in tatters, which is what usually happens when he sports that grin.

webber