Cammo-ed Guns.

I respect the opinions, especially from the professionals.

As I shoot pigeons mostly from a hide, my gun is inside the hide and unseen for most of the time.( on bad days, all the time).

When I poke it out of the hide , its to fire a shot and make much more disturbance, than the glint of light on my barrels would.

I can understand the protection from the elements,salt, mud etc, mostly encountered when wildfowling, but that could be covered with a removable protection.

I am not convinced they are necessary, for pigeon shooting from a hide.

Its good that we are all different, ain,t it. ;)

Although you say you're making a bigger disturbance by shooting, consider the following.

You're shooting across a wind blowing left to right, and the pigeons are coming from a roost to your left.  You poke the gun out, take your shot, and the wind carries the noise away from the birds.  However, the sun glints on your shiny blued barrels and every bird within a mile or so knows exactly where you are situated!

Noise won't bother them that much anyway (look at gas guns), but flashes of sunlight from a shiny surface are unnatural and will spook them every time.

I have to agree with Steve...........the glint off of a gun can be seen from a long way off. I remember watching Kev a couple of years ago. He was about 250 yards away, and with all the camo gear on, apart from his gun sock. I couldn't see him, but I knew where he was , because I could see his gun glinting...........If your shooting crows,and your seen,...........you can almost guarantee that your day will be over very quickly.

Cranfield........I'm not trying to say that your wrong..........It is just my opinion........

• 2 weeks later...

:D ...Just to add to the debate...I've recently brought a gun factory painted in realtree, as all my camoclothes and netting are realtree, it seemed natral that the gun matched. :(

I am unable to tell if the cammo effect is any good...cause there are no birds in the fields at the moment,  they all seem to be eating the leaves and shoots in the trees, and not the crops... ;)  :)

FOUL !! FOUL !! ;)

Thats not fair........ I wasn,t really trying........the sun was in my eyes...........I was using dodgy cartridges............my gun wasn,t working properly...........I think one of my legs is longer than the other.............I had a terrible headache.........

ACTUALLY....I was not motivated to kill the clays.

They weren,t causing any damage to a poor farmers crops. :)