pigeon record

Whitebridges

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitebridges,

George Digweed did have a rather good day organised by Phil Beesley, this was featured in Shooting Gazette.Subsequently been bettered by a guy from Lincolnshire twice.Could find the articles if you wish but I find it boring.As I have posted many times, shooting should be up the hedgerow, kill a few, prop 'em up,kill a few more, go home and clean and cook 'em.Unless your doing pest control of cause.But baiting a field aint pest control in my humble opinion.

I think if someone has the opportunity to shoot a very big bag of pigeons (rural pest No 1), then the best of luck to them.

I agree that baiting a field doesn't appeal to me, but is it much different than luring the birds in with decoys ? :lol:

Having had a few very big bags, I don't think I have the stamina and concentration to shoot like that anymore (even if the circumstances were right).

Some people (especially those that post their fanciful dreams on here) would be surprised how exhausting shooting large numbers of birds can be. ;)

My best number was 116 on peas a few years back and that was knackering enough.The shooting is one thing but lugging all the gear, carts, gun, hide bits etc is another side to things. To be honest I'd rather shoot 'em at roost or along a flight line as generally it's a bit more challenging. There again it it was my crop and livelihood I'ds be grateful to the likes of George and Archie.It's just interesting to know the sort of conditions that need to prevail to make a really big bag. Not sure I go along with this baiting business but each to there own.

Now we have started a good topic, it's got my nostalgia juices flowing, does anyone remember John Ranson from Powys, I believe he was credited with bettering (I don't like the word beat) Archie's record, then came GD then the guy from Lincoln,I think there might be someone from Cambridge also,perhaps we can compile a league table?It could give us something to aim for (no pun intended)but I have to say round here (Shropshire) it is dire at the moment to put a decent bag together.

I saw a bag of 340 in 1984 over a pea field in lincolnshire. I cant remember the guys name but I was shooting in an adjacent pea field with my Grandfather.

Remarkable in as much as the chap didnt start shooting until noon and ran out of cartridges by 5.00. We gave him 150 !

Thats a bird killed every 52 seconds.

We both estimated that about 3 to 4000 woodies were raiding these three fields that week end. The Farmer was doing his nut as they had earlier in the month completely stripped a 10 acre pea field.

They were like bloody locusts and I have never seen that many birds accumulated in one area before. The other remarkable thing was that there were gas guns going off all around but the birds were just lifting off and setting down again with complete immunity.

FM.

The other remarkable thing was that there were gas guns going off all around but the birds were just lifting off and setting down again with complete immunity.

FM.

I have found that when pigeons become used to the regular bang of a gas gun that this can be beneficial to the shooter as the bang of the gun only scares them off for a short time and then they return.

I have seen them feeding on peas within 20 yards either side of a gas gun and they haven't even looked up when it has gone off.

They think its you firing at them Ern and they know they are perfectly safe. :lol:;):D

johhny, probably there isn't any difference.

As pigeons are classed as an agricultural pest (hence the open licence), any legal method that exterminates them should be acceptable.

However, there will be those that consider it unsporting.

One thing to consider is that most of the fed game birds are released birds and if you paid for them, you wouldn't want them wandering off. :rolleyes:

I think that gas guns can be a shooters best friend. I have a small holding between 3 large fields which at this time of the year all have gas guns banging away. All I have to do is sit under the flight lines with a few decoys and a packet of fags and wait for the bang when they all change fields.