best place to shoot a crow?

enemyofthecrow

been trying to shoot the crows at work drawing them in with lunchtime leftovers only trouble my shooting is not good enough for head shots at distance (plus my 4X20scopeaint up to much) i shot one in the chest say 20 yards away from it and it flew off i was using napier power lube pellets which at fifteen yards go through 2 pieces of 6mm ply wood and into a wd40 can on the otherside and at stupid distances 40-50 yards it still sticks into soft wood, skirt just hanging out.

and i went went clay shooting and the instrcutor reckons you can blast some types of seagull now thats news to me anybody heard of this???

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the ****** was hopping around like a nut cawing pecking at the remainders of a pork hock joint robins blackbirds segulls flapping around pecking up peanuts and sandwich crust in the line of fire not to mention my mate has his gun eager to get him first i took the easy shot thinking it would drop him obviously i was mistaken :good:

my gun is a .22smk19 supposed to be 12lbpis

Best place to shoot a crow?

I would say outside for definate. Could be messy inside, you dont want to be ***** cleaning up blood off your kitchen units.

20 m in the chest?

A tin of pellets is say £7 for some half decent.

Go shoot the hell out of cardboard targets until you know your aim at all distances from 20 - 40 m.

When your happy shoot them in the head, if you miss they get away! If you do wound them. Keep still until they do and finish them off.

For a flapper if you dont want to wring their neck then reload and put the barrel adainst their skull and finish them.

Dont let anything suffer it is not right.

I hope others dont see any mis placed pellets as thats the way to be told to go away in no uncertain terms on private property.

Practice, happy shooting

Carbon

PS. I still put shots astray, not often, but it happens.

Edited by Carbonrocket

deffinitely more time on the paper targets.theres no shame in this as even the most experienced shot will spend many hours fine tuning it on paper.ps change that scope,it aint going to cost that much to upgrade that scope[ive yet to see a decent 4x20 scope]

This is everything you need to do mate summed up nicely. What you could do to practice in a less boring kind of way is to print off some real size crow targets and lay them out at 20 yards. Better then a 1 inch circle to me. When you can consistently hit the same place in the head move onto the real thing. If you can get 20-30 mins in a day for a week i'd imagine that'd be all you'd need. One tip is dont rest the gun on anything but a doubled up pillow or just use your hand conventially as it will ruin accuracy as the recoil makes the gun jump about. I use one of these occasionally and they are plently capable out to 50 yards so practice well and you will do well mate.

Good luck,

Lewis

evryone misses mate! and unfortunetley evryone wounds aswell maybe not often but i doubt very much that thers someone on here that has killed everything they have shot clean! Basically like everyone here says with an air rifle its got to be the head for pretty much everything. Chest shots are ok with centre fire rifles or rimfires because they are many times more powerfull. If you can get within 20m of crows your doing well, i struggle to get within 20 miles of them without some serious hiding! id draw them in close, then try RWS Super hollow point pellets they do some damage!

SP

been trying to shoot the crows at work drawing them in with lunchtime leftovers only trouble my shooting is not good enough for head shots at distance (plus my 4X20scopeaint up to much) i shot one in the chest say 20 yards away from it and it flew off i was using napier power lube pellets which at fifteen yards go through 2 pieces of 6mm ply wood and into a wd40 can on the otherside and at stupid distances 40-50 yards it still sticks into soft wood, skirt just hanging out.

and i went went clay shooting and the instrcutor reckons you can blast some types of seagull now thats news to me anybody heard of this???

m8 are you kidding me??

your taking body shots with a airgun on a crow and you should not even do that on a pigeon!!

man have a good read round the forum as your on your way to trouble.

try a 3-9 scope and get on them paper targets before you hurt some one.

what you are doing is in humane and against the law.

with that scope 20 yard max head shot on any animal you are allowed to shoot only with airgun.

if you have fac on the other hand rimmy or fac airgun,lung shots are fine.

dont think im being mean,im being honest and your heading for trouble,what if you miss completely and pellet take some ones eye out?

get practicing on paper mate,what you doing you plane wrong and illegal

cheapest way to practice is,take a shot at a piece of wood,then try hit your pellet,once you can get most of your shots with in2 cm each side of the pellet your worthy.

yes every one miss's even with the hmr but i doubt people are shooting at work with employee's walking about.

head over to js ramsbottom youl get a decen 3-9x50 scope for 25 quid.

my last comment,think and plan out your shots and where the pellet will land.

be very care full

the ****** was hopping around like a nut cawing pecking at the remainders of a pork hock joint robins blackbirds segulls flapping around pecking up peanuts and sandwich crust in the line of fire not to mention my mate has his gun eager to get him first i took the easy shot thinking it would drop him obviously i was mistaken :good:

my gun is a .22smk19 supposed to be 12lbpis

oh man,

you need new kit mate,smk.

I don't mean to go on and on,do some serious reading on your kit on the forums.

dont knock smks they can do the business the newer ones like the 19 are ok you just need to put in the work.most of us have started out on cheaper or second hand gear.its the best way as it teaches you the basics first.those that buy the best gear to start out often miss out.theyre also the ones selling their gear after 12 months

The way that I sometimes help to keep my eye in and make the targets a little different is that I put around 10 1p pieces around the garden (out of the firing line of anything) and then shoot from different places making sure that I hit each one! :yes: Though I'm not sure I'll be doing that very often any more.. recession and all I'm going to be saving me pennies, not shooting them!! :blush:

Robo

I shoot a crow from my window about 40 meters away lol i had to run down the field to finish it off lol :yes: but thats one less lol.

Is it just me but does anyone else find this thread a little "un-sporting"?

I am not really up to date on this text speak, but I assume lol = laughs out loud and 3 lots of lol when describing shooting, wounding and finally dispatching a bird, even one classed as vermin, could be considered a bit much. I'm not suggesting a black armband and a solemn expression is necessary when describing vermin control but if I was out shooting with someone who laughed at such inappropriate moments as those I would have doubts about their suitability to own a gun.

In the post that started this thread there was a reference to "you can blast some kind of seagulls". Again is that the kind of reference we should have on a public forum? It implies that the blasting the seagull is the be all & end all not that certain gulls can be culled for a specific reason as per the conditions of the General License.

Might just be me in Grumpy Old Man mode but I still don't think these posts project the sort of image that the majority on here would wish to be associated with.

Mr Potter

Is it just me but does anyone else find this thread a little "un-sporting"?

I am not really up to date on this text speak, but I assume lol = laughs out loud and 3 lots of lol when describing shooting, wounding and finally dispatching a bird, even one classed as vermin, could be considered a bit much. I'm not suggesting a black armband and a solemn expression is necessary when describing vermin control but if I was out shooting with someone who laughed at such inappropriate moments as those I would have doubts about their suitability to own a gun.

In the post that started this thread there was a reference to "you can blast some kind of seagulls". Again is that the kind of reference we should have on a public forum? It implies that the blasting the seagull is the be all & end all not that certain gulls can be culled for a specific reason as per the conditions of the General License.

Might just be me in Grumpy Old Man mode but I still don't think these posts project the sort of image that the majority on here would wish to be associated with.

Mr Potter

must admit it had slipped my attention,im getting too old for text speak and i wholeheartedly agree with you,we must not play into the hands of those who blindly oppose us

well im a bad shot sorry! il get some more practice in and a better scope the only reason i asked if it was ok to "blast"(bad choice of word) certain seagulls was because they were being somewhat distracting hopping in the line of fire and i wouldnt want to shoot anything that i could get sent to prison for.

as for the shooting of employees..... i work in a large yard (me and one other fella and we both warn each other if we spot a mark) that backs onto miles of green fields and scrub where the only thing that may hear a pellet whistling past would be a rabbit).

i would have thought a close(ish) range chest shot (heart and lungs) with pellet that was punching through 2x6mm pieces of ply and entering a wd40 (in one shot) tin would have done the business i was wrong

and somebody commented about type of pellet the napier power lube pellets im trying out at the moment were not cheap

all critisim and advice welcomed. :yes: