best place to shoot a crow?

enemyofthecrow

i wouldnt want to shoot anything that i could get sent to prison for.... i work in a large yard... that backs onto miles of green fields and scrub where the only thing that may hear a pellet whistling past would be a rabbit).

Depends on whose land that is that you are shooting on, and whether you have permission to do so!

Be VERY careful. If you go onto someone else's land with a gun where you don't have permission to shoot that is called 'armed trespass' and is a VERY big deal. If you are shooting from the yard that could also be a problem; 1) do you have permission to shoot on the yard? 2) are the pellets crossing the boundary?. BOTH shooting without permission and having pellets cross the boundary are not good things. not good at all

Be careful

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on whose land that is that you are shooting on, and whether you have permission to do so!

Be VERY careful. If you go onto someone else's land with a gun where you don't have permission to shoot that is called 'armed trespass' and is a VERY big deal. If you are shooting from the yard that could also be a problem; 1) do you have permission to shoot on the yard? 2) are the pellets crossing the boundary?. BOTH shooting without permission and having pellets cross the boundary are not good things. not good at all

Be careful

if no body has told you this ,and youve not had any form of guidance,then you cant be knocked for the indiscretion while youre asking the questions to put you on the right track.weve all been there,you just forget with the passing years

if no body has told you this ,and youve not had any form of guidance,then you cant be knocked for the indiscretion while youre asking the questions to put you on the right track.weve all been there,you just forget with the passing years

I wasn't having a go or anything! Was just trying to stop the milk before it spills and tears follow!

i've got a smk 19 and its not bad. i think a decent scope would be alot better. i use a smk 3-9x56 on mine.

the only problem i have with my smk is that its a bit loud but what can expect it's a springer. just get plenty of target practice in and make sure that your well zeroed.

good place to start is a springer if you can get a good shot with a springer you'll be a good shot with any air rifle.

:yes:

now about those seagulls

only kidding :yes:

http://www.basc.org.uk/media/basc_informat...s_in_the_uk.pdf

Read it ten times over and don't forget it. Once you have, go to the RSPB website and learn what the differences are between the gull species, as some you can shoot and some you can't.

Simple rule: If you're not sure, don't shoot.

or better still leave the gulls to the pros cause its an absolute minefield.there was even a counciler somewhere charged over shooting gulls.just not worth the bother.go shoot some grey squirels instead,at least the law is clear on that score and you can also eat them,i even trade my excess down the local for pints,thats got to be better than risking it over ****ehawks

Daves right mate, wouldnt really bother with them, and their not exatly a challenging quarry packet of chips on the floor and 50 come down! if your looking for a challenging shoot then rabbits, crows, pigeons, sqirrels and rats offer plenty in my opinion, if your blood thirsty go visit a slaughterhouse, their horrible! A dissused power station by us employed a falconer to come and kill the gulls there because they were making such a mess though i saw it in the paper

SP

http://www.basc.org.uk/media/basc_informat...s_in_the_uk.pdf

Read it ten times over and don't forget it. Once you have, go to the RSPB website and learn what the differences are between the gull species, as some you can shoot and some you can't.

Simple rule: If you're not sure, don't shoot.

Good advice!!!!

I am going to buy a bird book tomorrow to help me with my recognition so I dont make mistakes in the future.

Thanks.

Carbon

m8 are you kidding me??

your taking body shots with a airgun on a crow and you should not even do that on a pigeon!!

man have a good read round the forum as your on your way to trouble.

try a 3-9 scope and get on them paper targets before you hurt some one.

what you are doing is in humane and against the law.

with that scope 20 yard max head shot on any animal you are allowed to shoot only with airgun.

if you have fac on the other hand rimmy or fac airgun,lung shots are fine.

dont think im being mean,im being honest and your heading for trouble,what if you miss completely and pellet take some ones eye out?

get practicing on paper mate,what you doing you plane wrong and illegal

Really? :look:

with that scope 20 yard max head shot on any animal you are allowed to shoot only with airgun.

if you have fac on the other hand rimmy or fac airgun,lung shots are fine.

that true ? huh never heard of that one.

not true mate. dont panic. :o

well im a bad shot sorry! il get some more practice in and a better scope the only reason i asked if it was ok to "blast"(bad choice of word) certain seagulls was because they were being somewhat distracting hopping in the line of fire and i wouldnt want to shoot anything that i could get sent to prison for.

I think you need to read the terms of the general licence mate :o

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/pestandpredatorcontrol

cheapest way to practice is,take a shot at a piece of wood,then try hit your pellet,once you can get most of your shots with in2 cm each side of the pellet your worthy.

yes every one miss's even with the hmr but i doubt people are shooting at work with employee's walking about.

head over to js ramsbottom youl get a decen 3-9x50 scope for 25 quid.

my last comment,think and plan out your shots and where the pellet will land.

be very care full

As has already been pointed out, practice makes perfect. The more pellets you can put through the rifle the more familiar you will be with the limitations of it and you in the field.

Anyway, that point has certainly been made elsewhere; the only addition I would make is that wood doesn't make for the best of back stops in my experience. Ricochet can be a problem.

Some old carpet and/or telephone directories are a much better bet in my experience. The more ‘sting’ you can take out of the projectile, the safer it will be.

Safe shooting.

LS

I am all for the advice, but ppl just go into panic mode and assume that he is shooting without permission without knowing where the pellets will land and that he has never shot a paper target before.

His question is regarding the energy/ distance comparing 12 mm of plywood to a body shot.

How do you know what pellets cause what amount of damage,and what part of the body, unless they have been tested before?

and for that i would say read reviews, ie what has already been done probably better to read through american forums

yes the term blasting was wrong but the answer to his query should stay relevant to the gulls and pellet damage.

Cheers

Faisal