Dog food

tucker

Hello chaps.

Just wondering what brand of dog food you all use for springers.

Picking up a 12 week pup on wednesday.

Always used Eukanuba in the past, but most of the lads I know say it costs too much for what it is, and there are other brands out there just as good for the dog at half the price, containing all the same ingredients. Like to know what they are.

Let me know your views.

TA !

TUCKER :lol:

Congrat'..s on the new pup Tucker,

happy days ahead :lol:;)

Dog or bitch ?? not that it makes any difference .... :( :lol:

Every one has their favorite brand, Beta, Omega, Skinners etc. ....

so it's just down to individual choice.

Eukanuba is bl**dy expensive ... that said it appears very popular with certain breeders & trainers, however sponsorship is a good way to advertise.

My advice :*) .. keep the pup on exactly the same brand as it's on now until approx 20 weeks then introduce (slowly) a 24 - 25% protein food but decide which one by purchasing the small packs first. Chicken & rice is good if you don't want to feed soya but it's slighty more expensive.

I have a local supplier that do their own at 6:99 for 15kg of 25% and it's good ....

:lol::lol:

Rodger,

Cheers for that mate, the pup is a bitch, I find the dogs get a bit more head strong as they get a bit older' never had any trouble with bitches.

( Only her indoors ;) ),

Eukanuba is now £36.00 for 15kg, thats the cheapest round here.

A lot of breeders have stopped using it now because of being linked with the vivisection scandal IAMS are supposed to be doing.

My breeder and a lot of others have changed to ARDEN GRANGE CLASSIC,

All the dog rescue centers have changed to this also for the same reason.

That is what the pup is on now, even this is £30.00. I,ll keep her on this for a while and see how she goes.

I only asked because a few lads that I beat with use a greyhound mix @ £10.00 per 15kg and that seemed to me a bit cheap to be any good, saying that thier dogs work brilliantly. So who am I to judge :*) .

I,ll just have to play it by ear :lol: . Cant wait for the training though.

Thanks again ROG,

TUC.

Tucker,

As an experienced dog owner you realise the pups digestive system is a little weak at the moment so obviously give it time to settle in.But always bear in mind to much protein can make 'em hyper ( last thing that a spnl needs) we don't like fish n chips twice a day 7 days a week.Iams & Hills Science diet are favoured by vets because they get a very good mark up.I use local millers own maintenance dog food out of season £7-60 for 15Kg + Tripe & biscuit once a week.I fast them 1 day a week ( and myself) hope this is food for thought.No pun intended.

If you are going to pay Eukanuba prices do the dog a favour and give it Burns, Royal Cannin or James Wellbelovd

All Eukanuba is good for is the quality freebies they dish out. Think about if they were charging what the food is worth how could they afford to give out umberelas dog towels feed bins and frisbies free?

The Wife is assistant manager at a verry large pet store and she recons the rest is of poor quality full of additives and saturated in fat.

Personaly I feed mine burns active and they do well on that.

A lot of dogs will do well on some fairly poor food but others will develop skin problems bad breath, become obease or develop behavioral problems due to the poor balance.

Dave

What ever you decide I hope the dog does well on it

Johnny Burns the vet who invented BURNS dog food. Used to be a vet in our town, he live's not ten miles away. He was a vet with a perculier style to say the least. You would Put a dog on the table for him and the words would always be the same. "Shall we give the wee dog a bit of time to see if he will heal himself shall we" then in the next breath in his wonderful Scottish accent, "That will be ten pounds please".

As far as the food goes i have only one gripe against it, the price. If you dont mind paying then i would say its one of the best dog foods around. I have used it and i certainly saves on S*!t shovelling. However i now use a maintenece food of 20% protien VAT free £6.89 15K and find that it does the dogs well. I tried omega but @ 25% protien i found it went straight through the dogs.

I use Hills Science Plan.

Adult Light for the Cocker and Large Breed Puppy for the Springer, ( soon to go on to the Adult light )

If your dogs are working regularly a high protein diet is best as they will be very active. If however you feed a high protein diet to a Springer which is not consuming that extra energy it will be very hyperactive so best to consider a low protein diet for dogs which may be perhaps worked once a week.

There are scores of different complete dog foods on the market and to be frank alot of the cheap ones are cheap for a good reason, THEY ARE ****.

Of the top varieties Eukanuba is favoured by breeders, Hills have a excellent all round range, and Skinners is very popular with working dog owners.

Most of the owners and breeders I know use one of the above three.

Remember if you pay **** money you get **** products and that is true of many things in life.

I,ll close with a true story about a friend of mine, Mrs. X, she breeds and shows English Setters and feeds them on Hills Science Plan.

A few years back she was lucky enough to secure best in breed at Cruffs and runner up over all best in Show.

She was approached immediately afterwards by a Television advertising agency who offered her a TV advert to promote a certain well known brand of Dog Food ( which incidently is not generally favoured by Breeders)

Fine she said I will quite happily do the advert but I dont feed my Dogs on *******. Whereupon the executive countered with "heres ** grand to say you do. !!! "

Being of the uptmost integrity she refused the advertisment and stayed loyal to the food she still uses, although she did say she was very tempted and under different circumstances would have taken the bribe.

It certainly shows what a big market pet foods have become.

FM.