Approaching farmers for the first time

smcgreg1

Hello,

I have decided to do a bit of local door knocking on the weekend and was wondering what would be the best way to approach the farmer to seek permission. I have read and learned a lot from reading the posts about gaining permission so I have got a load of calling cards ready and I'll take along my sgc and insurance. Also i'll make sure I am dressed smart to try and make a good impression. I don't have any trade skills so all I would be able to offer would be help with PC's as I work in IT (not sure if it would be of use or not)

What I am not sure about is the sales pitch. It sounds daft but when I knock on the door should I just ask for the farmer or should I phrase this in another way?

I will be polite and after I introduce myself I think I will mention that I have seen a few of his fields that are being attacked by pigeons and would he be interested in letting me try and control them by decoying? This is the bit that I am not sure about. If anyone could help me with the wording that I should use that would be great. Would a farmer be familiar with decoying or should I say shooting? I will make a point of mentioning that I am insured and have a certificate. Is there any value in mentioning that I also shoot clays?

I guess I will only have a short time to try and sell myself so any help and advice you guys can offer about approaching the farmer from the sales pitch point of view would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

well strange one this,dont know if its different in england to wales,but when ive been asking for permission,ive allways turned up on weekends wearing green army trousers,and a jumper,in me jeep,guns in boot,and just said hello,looking round for some shooting permission,they normally answer with either no,or what you wanting to shoot,and i say what ever you want shot really,crows,pigeons,rabbits,foxes etc.id never go well dressed,most farms around here would kick you off for being well dressd,thinking your selling something lol.maybe its just wales,did try a few farms around monmouth,glouster,oxford ,usk area,and they all said no ,so may be a area thing.just be polite,and accept what they say . :good:

Edited by codling99

Scott, now is as good a time as any to approach a farmer, as the weather is a good time for us to catch up on paperwork. Whereabouts in Essex are you thinking of starting your door-knocking campaign? The IT assistance is worth mentioning. Don't gives a sales pitch - just ask whether there are any opportunities to shoot the pigeons on his land. If you genuinely can be available at short notice, highlight that very point.

If the first farmer you speak to says there's no shooting available, ask if he knows of any other local farmers who may be interested in some free pest control. A referral will at least get you noticed by the other locals.

Don't turn up looking smart. Farmers go almost exclusively for the jeans/rugby shirt/work boots look. Have you green kit ready in the wagon.

Easiest way is to find a problem and offer to provide a solution for the day, do not think long term but if you do get invited to shoot the pigeons/ rabbits. Call back once you have finished , report on your success (even lack of success), thank Mr. Farmer for your days sport and enquire if you would be alright to have another go in the near future?

Thanks for the helpful advice everyone. It's given me more confidence that I am not going to be a total muppet when I speak to farmers.

Whereabouts in Essex are you thinking of starting your door-knocking campaign?

I live in the Heybridge/Maldon area and was thinking of door knocking local to start with and see how that goes.

Don't turn up looking smart. Farmers go almost exclusively for the jeans/rugby shirt/work boots look. Have you green kit ready in the wagon.

I was thinking jeans and a jumper but was unsure but as the general consensus looks to be what you are suggesting Baldrick I'm gong with it. :yes:

I will be asking for permission for myself and a friend so hopefully between us we will be able to sort something out if the farmer would like us at short notice.

All that is left now is a bit of luck and I hope my face fits, so to speak. I'll let everyone know how I got on.

Thanks again chaps for your help :blush:

Find a field full of pigeons.

What I have done then is to ask someone nearby if they know who owns the field full of pigeons. Then with luck and their directions go to the farm and say that John (whoever it was) down the road said your the man to talk to about pigeon shooting etc. If they know the farmers name even better then you know who to ask for.

The farmer will probably make their mind up as soon as you ask so if they seem positive then mention you have insurance etc and all the good points you can think of to swing it your way.

Lots of places will say no but just keep trying.

sometimes you can get permission to shoot the strangest of places,i shoot a lawn tennis club for rabbits,freinds shoot garden centres,sewage works,horse paddocks ,railway lines,hotel grounds,industrial estates and units.if you see the damage being done and youre in a position to help just ask because they often dont realise a solution is there and most of all free

its not the way you dress that gets you on its the way you come across to the farmer .find out the farmers name ..call him mr smith if thats his name ..tell him you want to do the pest control on his farm for free and will come any time he needs you ..better if you already shoot next doors land and tell him all the names of farms you all ready have he may know one or two of them ,it will help .write down all the farms you have in a note book and show him names telephone numbers ..me and my shooting buddy have got 16 farms since november last year and climbing we have over 30 farms and try and go on them at least once every two weeks ..farmers like to see your doing good but not over doing it ..dont kill any thing that he says he wants leaveing ..hares are one round are way they like to see them others dont ..game birds leave well alone ..your there to kill pests not game ..we all ways phone before we go on there land so tell him you will ring him first to see if its ok to go on ..ask were you can park your motor dont go driveing his fields when its wet ..any thing like fallen stock ,cows giving birth ,fly tipping ect let him know as soon as *** they love it ..look after it and you will get a good name and more will come with out asking ..

Edited by ROB REYNOLDS UK

Rob, what is the point in having over 30 farms to shoot on, if you can only get round to each once per fortnight? Why do a mediocre job on so many parcels of land, when you could do a more thorough and consistent job on a smaller number? You're not a dependable set of eyes and ears, if you only report fornightly on trespass/fly-tipping/fallen stock.

I'm a farmer, and I would be disappointed if you shot on my land, knowing that my OSR and cereals were only getting 1/30th of your attention.

I went out today in search of my permission and to my surprise the first farmer i managed to track down said no problem i have a field you can shoot on. I was very surprised to say the least. I am going to go back tomorrow and take a map and ask the farmer to mark his boundaries so I know where he wants me to shoot. Also it will let me have the chance to do a bit of a reccy after I finish work in the afternoon. I think it might be a good idea to also get a permission document from him also. It was all very strange to be honest he did not ask to see any certificates for insurance or shotgun. I used some of the valuable advise from this forum and gave him my card and took his number. I told him that I would call him every time before i go so he knows that I will be out on the field. He did ask me if I worked during the week I told him that I work in London but If he need me to be on his fields the next day the it would not be a problem. I am fortunate to be able to get time off at short notice. He seemed happy enough with that response. The farmer told me that there was not really a big problem with pigeon because he has got the gas guns out on the fields but I am welcome to shoot there :good:. there were some pigeon sitting in the trees and when I went past in the car the moved off onto another field. So I think there will be some shooting to be had ???

After my lucky first success I tried going to some other local farms. Some of the farm houses I tried to get to were just too difficult to get to as they had big gates that were closed and only opened via security number lock key pads. I did not want to try and convince a farmer over an intercom that I am reliable and can provide a service so I will keep an eye out on those farms and as soon as I see someone out and about I'll try my luck then.

Another one of the farms that I tried had loads of pigeons on his fields by a big pond but he is on holiday at the moment and the person I spoke to there said he has leased all of his land to another farmer. I got the farmers name so I can pop back next weekend and see if he is about. He already has someone taking care of his rabbits so maybe when I explain that I have seen all of the pigeons on his fields he might want me to help.

The last farmer that leases his land has made me wonder who the permission should come from. Would it be the farmer (as the land owner) or would it be the person that has leased his land or would it maybe be both?

I guess I would like just 1 more permission and that will be plenty for me but now that I have 1 i intend to do my best to look after it.

Once again thanks everyone for all the help and tips you have provided they have helped me a lot ???

Edited by smcgreg1

With regards as to who the permission comes from it varies, some owners of the land want to deal with it themselves as they sometimes have "their own guy" other times the owners don`t really care so they leave it upto the guy leasing the land. It`s a funny system as you can drive around and find a farm but that farmers land could be 2 miles away from his farm surrounding another farm.

It`s a funny system as you can drive around and find a farm but that farmers land could be 2 miles away from his farm surrounding another farm.

Yep that's exactly what i am finding. I think the last farm that I went to, that leases his land, leases it to another farm about 10 miles away :good:

I think all it needs is a bit of perseverance to find out who I need to speak to. I just need to keep digging around ???

The last farmer that leases his land has made me wonder who the permission should come from. Would it be the farmer (as the land owner) or would it be the person that has leased his land or would it maybe be both?

The farming tenant is required to control vermin, including pigeon, irrespective of whether the landlord retains the game-shooting rights. So ask the chap who leases the land.

Well done on securing something so quickly. From small acorns mighty oaks grow.....

Well done on securing something so quickly. From small acorns mighty oaks grow.....

How right you are Baldrick.

I went out on my permission this morning but there was nothing around so i got the binoculars out and started to have a look around at some of the other fields. I noticed a flight line in another field and seen loads of pigeons and gulls in it. Gave the farmer a quick call and asked him if he owned the field next to the one I was on. He told me to come over next weekend and he will draw on a map his boundaries and told me that i can shoot on any field I can see pigeons that he owns ???. The only reason he could not show me right away was because he was just going on holiday. So bring on next weekend ???

So from going from a single field to shoot on the farmer has now let me shoot on any of his fields :yes: All he has to do is mark them out on a map. All this from a quick call. So the advice about letting the farmer know if anything else is going on in his fields is very good advice indeed.

Thanks guys for all your help.

this is going to sound very cynical... but the best way to do it is in the pub! ???

im lucky that its a large village/small town i live in, theres alot of farmers about (the cattle market is 15 feet from my back garden). most of the land i shoot on is thanks to my friends (either their family own it or they know the farmers, and hence the farmers have got to know me). i used to work in one of the local pubs when i was doing my a levels, still help out the odd time, and so ive got to know quite a few farmers. they always have something to complain about (you know farmers!) which is useful. the farm i spend most of my time at now is only 10 mins walk from my house (handy due to having no car at present). i got talking to the farmer one friday night in the pub and he mentioned that he had a major problem with crows/pigeons/magpies stealing cattle meal from open bins and he was losing a fortune - i told him if he wanted i could see if i could help, and so i was standing is his yard at 8am the next morning! ???

I planned to go shooting today for a few pigeons but due to the ammount of rain that had fallen overnite & the fact the rain didn`t stop even though the forecast was for dry today, i decided not to shoot but pop round a few local farmers to try and grow my permission and fill in the blanks, went to 2 further farms, first farm said yes straight away as they had seen me in fields neighbouring theirs on week days and had seen the effect i was having on the pigeons, just need to pop back to get them to fill in a written permission and to draw on my OS map they gave me about 1000 acres, the bonus is they are growing winter greens, cabbage and sprouts and boy are the pigeons coming back for more. Went to the next farm which is actually an estate, they have a gamekeeper and a fulltime guy taking pigeons and rabbits plus their beaters shoot pigeons at the weekend but due to the fact i shoot on weekdays and also because i proved i already have land next to theirs he was willing to give me about 400 acres to shoot on that they keep having problems on during the week,and he will chat with his gamekeeper to see what else i can have for the weekdays. This now gives me approx 3200 acres to shoot on and all in the same area within less than 10 miles of my house.

Lessons to note.

1. Look for permission from farmers when it`s raining, they tend to keep around the farm buildings doing stuff so easier to track.

2. Once in a while make yourself known by not hiding in a camo hide walk around your permission especially if you know neighbouring farmers are about.

3. Do your homework with what the farmer is growing, nothing worse than turning up and saying the pigeons are hitting your green plants.

4. Carry your permission maps with you to show the farmer what you already have so he can see clearly how close you are.

5. Name drop wherever possible.

I know these tips are probably obvious but i`m hoping it may help someone.

Are anyone's crop recognition skills actually that poor?!

When i was chatting to the farmer yesterday he said that a chap he was approached by for permission said that his field with weeds in had lots of pigeons on, what he was actually looking at was rape, turns out the guy had just got his SGC but was finding clay shooting expensive so wanted to shoot pigeons as it was cheaper but hadn`t done any homework on crop identification. Apparently this happens on a regular basis people turn up, want permission but have no idea what te pigeons are feeding on.

• 2 weeks later...