Gloves

Cranfield

The weather is getting colder and it brings, for me, the annual problem, cold hands.

I can,t shoot wearing gloves.

I will wear the fingerless mittens, they are OK, but my fingers still get cold.

I have tried the full glove, with the trigger finger either missing, or velcroed back and don,t like them.

Do you wear gloves ? If so, what sort ?

The problem i found was that with wool gloves on,the recoil of the gun would push the trigger guard back into my second finger,this would get quite painful especially if i fired quite alot of shots.I got a pair of neoprene fishing gloves from argos,they are very grippy,even in the wet and are waterproof.

The only time i wear gloves is out on the duck then i wear thinsulate fingerless riding gloves absulutly fabulous, to coin a phrase. Plus they only cost me £2 at the local farmers store. Havn't worn them yet this year not cold enough yet.But in previous years they have been very good. I have seen simular gloves on market stalls for £4. For work i use neoprene they dont last long but they keep your hands warm ( i'm a bait digger.) Tried neoprene for shooting found i had no feel for the gun, but at least my hands were warm.

Cranfield

They are called Thinsulate they are a wool mix outside with a thermal insulated lining, they are not officialy called riding gloves but at the feed merchants that is what they are sold as. Thinsulate is the trademark that they are sold under. And yes i do dig lug but only blacks, and that is nothing compared to digging kingrag like they do in chichcester harbour.

Pocket warmers are great when you know when you are going to shoot. But if you are sitting in a hide waiting for ducks or pigeon it is not advisable to have your hands stuck in your pockets as the only chance that you have may be missed because you are trying to get your warm hands out of your pocket on to your gun.

Some years ago, I tried a handwarmer from a packet that a friend of mine brought back from Russia.

They were like a small hand grenade.

You pulled a tab and inside the tin box there was some chemical reaction, that made the box warm.

That was the "theory".

What happened was, that the tin box glowed red and started to leak molten lava. ;)

We just guessed they were past their "sell by date".

Could have been a dastardly Communist plot though. :)

The ones I have seen in the UK do look fiddly, with charcoal sticks etc.

I am going to look for some of the Thinsulate,fingerless riding gloves.

I have got some glove type things which are fantastic, they are just like a glove but with the palm an fingers cut out, then there is 3 holes for your thumb ,index finger and pinky to go through. They keep the backs of your hands warm. This in turn stops the rest of your hands getting cold too.

They are service issue but Im sure you can get them somewhere

I got given a tip while we were wildfowling on the river,the other weekend. My hands were cold, & one of the other blokes said that I should wash them in the river, & then shake them dry!..I thought he was having a laugh, but he said "try it & see for yourself"...............Guess what???...............A few minutes after doing it.............my hands were no longer cold..........& they stayed ok until we had finished.