Ford ranger

mr lee

Anybody had one/ got one? used one?

Thinking of chopping in the Mrs motor and buying one of these.

Only thinking at the minute. Would like to know what people think of them. I had a Mitubishi L200 for 4 weeks last year and it was awful. Everything inside it felt cheap and weak. I don't want a Nissan due to the 40k miles problems with them.

Looking at a used one with about £8k to spend max.

Cheers. :o

mate every second hand 4 x 4 are a bargain at the moment, shop around, dont rush, for 8k you should get a good motor.

i stand by landrover, but thats only my opinium, good luck with what ever you buy.

cheers dave

yeah I know. Got a shock when we checked the book price on our current 4x4. :good:

Were in no rush to buy or sell so really want to find a really good model whatever we decide on. :o

Anybody had one/ got one? used one?

Thinking of chopping in the Mrs motor and buying one of these.

Only thinking at the minute. Would like to know what people think of them. I had a Mitubishi L200 for 4 weeks last year and it was awful. Everything inside it felt cheap and weak. I don't want a Nissan due to the 40k miles problems with them.

Looking at a used one with about £8k to spend max.

Cheers. :o

I wouldn't recommend a Ranger. I changed my 110 defender 5 years ago for a ranger. Paid 9K probably worth 2k now.

Laquer coming off all over, recon engine, clutch, leaf springs on back, rear diff, plus all usual stuff. Total about 4K in repairs.

Andy

ps. new radiator. pps. less mpg than a defender 110.. Don't do it !!

I wouldn't recommend a Ranger. I changed my 110 defender 5 years ago for a ranger. Paid 9K probably worth 2k now.

Laquer coming off all over, recon engine, clutch, leaf springs on back, rear diff, plus all usual stuff. Total about 4K in repairs.

Andy

ps. new radiator. pps. less mpg than a defender 110.. Don't do it !!

:good: eeek! Had discounted the nissan for engine issues and hoped the ford would fair better. Obviously not.

I'd like a landy but the mrs would be driving it more often than me and she isn't a fan of them at all due to 'their large bonnet..' :o :lol:

I do a lot of caravaning but most camp sites wont let you on with a tranny van they think we are pikie's.Dont know why cos they all have big fancy brand new 4x4 motors.So i am going to see if i can get a swap for alandy i have had a few old rangy's and i love em but i hate the japs so its a good old brit motor for me

stag :o

I had my bosses Ranger for a few weeks and unless you intend to drive around with a tonne and half of sand in the back, I'd swerve them mate.

Back happy and the rear axle tends to bounce when there is nothing in the load bay.

Not too impressive off road either!

Hi all, ive had 3 rangers, an x plate, 02 and now an 08. All makes of pickups use rear springs and none are great on fuel. For 8k you should be able to get latest model with low miles. Far cheaper than toyota equivilant and 80 percent of my miles are on forest roads an they cope very well with abuse. Happy hunting!

ive got an 04 plate ranger had it 2 years now ,its never missed a beat or let me down ,goes everywhere my old defender went in more comfort.i would thoroughly recomend one.through work i have driven most 4x4s from suzukis to unimogs.the ranger is definitely better than the nissan and mitsubishi,cheaper than the equivalent toyota[good marketing clarckson] ??????:yes:

i have a 03 plate ranger its got 120000 on the clock and never had a spanner on the engine. i use it for towing a lot of stuff and the only thing i have had go wrong is a rear spring.

i have allways been happy with mine but im sure there is good and bad in all types of 4x4. i did have an isuzu trooper before the ranger and it was good to. but the ranger is

better for me as the back is separate from the cab. so i can put tools and all my other junk in the back and lock it up and keep the cab clean for family use ???

I have a 2000 4x2 ranger super cab since new say 50k miles, cancelled contract so £3,5k discount, no probs with it at all.

I jacked it up by 50m and fitted 15 " wheels with 235 A/T tyres + a pair of M/T's for more off road use, plus a set of snow chains. Yep it has it's limits but is a good workhorse, use it on a large estate for gamekeeper/ woodland work + caravan towing.

It has a fairly hard life but is reliable - yep I would buy another and 4x4 next time. :good:

all pickups have rear springs, its not that big an issue and they are easy enough to change if you break one. I've an L200 and the ride and drive is loads better than my old fourtrak independant. I get 30mpg and it goes places the fourtrak would have struggled, but thats probably due to the better tyres. You won't get a better vehicle for lamping with a rifle as the set up is ideal, as for the missus using it to go to the shops well they are fairly long but mine doesn't have an issue with it. The rangers are fairly agricultural so it depends how refined a vehicle you are coming from as to how worried you should be. Certainly 8K should see you with a low miler with little off road use, I'd probably pick an older but lower mileage example and there are lots out there that have just been used as cars. The good thing is the mechanicals are well built and like most 4x4's easy to operate on if things break.

I have heard by one chap on breaking rear springs but I nomally carry say +1 ton of wood in the back on lumpy tracks and no probs, not even blown a damper.

I would be interested in what the temprature were when the spring broke, I broke one on a Carpi in say 1980 during a very low -10C spell of frosts. ( Ok they were cool at the time) :good:

I drive a 57 plate Ranger 2.5 double cab, nice vehicles to be honest, they are plenty man enough to take off road into deep mud and just keep going, engine is the best i have seen and never had a problem getting stuck in boggy conditions. in my opinion they are better then the navara and L200.

I sorted a 9-5 test drive in a ranger thunder yesterday and have to say.....

I liked it! :yes: Full leather interior so handy when (not if) it gets muddy as it will wipe down. Stuck a large Trailer on the rear with a mini digger on and it still went with no issues at all. I did notice with no weight on the rear, the ride was a bit bouncy as mentioned. Everything just seemed right for me. Very comfortable driving position compared to my Vito. It had enough power to pull away at lights and enough torque to keep going up the hill we live on without dropping down a gear too.

I asked if a winch could be fitted and he showed me some pics he had from one they had fitted to one before. Quite a neat job and provided it was fitted properly and not a diy job it still retained it's warranty. Best part was Mrs lee liked it too. She did ask if they could get truckman tops for the rear for the dogs too. Yes they do.

The one we looked at was a 56 plate with 21k on the clock and in near mint condition barring one really small scuff on the rear chrome bar. Up at £6k plus vat.

The only thing I forgot to test was the hi/low box. :good: Really wanted to try that out in some soft ground but didn't have time to nip to one of our permissions to do so.

May ask for another test in it and go from there now...