T Daintith Warrington side by side

Big Stu

I have never heard of this maker and it makes me wonder if it wasent a gun sold by an ironmonger . Years ago ironmongers used to have their names stamped onto cheap shotguns and sold them in their shops as their own make of gun . Thease guns were usually quite cheap and could be bought for 30 shillings or less .

Harnser .

• 3 years later...

Hi guys, just doing a search myself and came across your old post.

It is thought that Mr Daintith was a distant relative on my Ex wifes side of the family.

As A child, in the 40/50s I can remember his shop on Orford Lane, I lived in Sharp Street which was nearly opposite his shop.

Like was said of the Iron Monger, Mr Daintith had a shop selling Boy Scout stuff along with shooting and fishing gear.

I think he bought in part finnished guns from Birmingham and put his own mark on them.

I have a side by side hammer gun by him.

Regards Sam. :)

• 5 years later...

Not sure if this will be seen but your wife must be a relative of mine! Thomas Daintith Gunsmiths in Warrington were my family. My grandmother Nellie Daintith was his daughter. She had a brother Sydney who went to Australia. Also another brother Leonard. I am still in the lical area. (Proper gunsmiths not ironmongers).

14 hours ago, Binkie said:

Not sure if this will be seen but your wife must be a relative of mine! Thomas Daintith Gunsmiths in Warrington were my family. My grandmother Nellie Daintith was his daughter. She had a brother Sydney who went to Australia. Also another brother Leonard. I am still in the lical area. (Proper gunsmiths not ironmongers).

Great info,so much of our gunmaking history only exists in family recollections and after a couple of generations much of that is often lost.A friend owned a T.Daintith boxlock yrs ago,it was a good workmanlike gun.

• 1 year later...

Silver pigeon69, thanks for the reminder of when I was last online in the forum.

I had a very big accident in 2014, smashed myself to kingdom come but thank the Lord, I am still here.

I have not shot for quite a long time and have got to the point of having to part with my guns. 

While wondering how best to describe the Daintith gun, I did a google search and the first thing that popped up was this post on your forum.

I did find out a bit more about Daintith guns, so if anyone is still interested, I will share it providing someone can tell me where in the forum index this post will go to.

Thanks for your time. Sam.

2 hours ago, Gunman said:

Boothroyd lists -

Thomas Daintith 121 Bridge Street Warrington , c.1900.

No listing in English Gunmakers as prior 1900 .

Try looking in Town directories for that period Libraries should have them .

Thanks Gunman, would this be Geoffrey Boothroyd that used to have a column in Shooting Times and Country Magazine.

Yes ,Info from Boothroyds Directory of British Gunmakers . 

Boothroyd wrote several books and was  an authority on the history of British gunmaking history and collected as much info as he could on names and addresses and know histories .  

Boothroyd wrote to Ian Fleming after the first Bond novel and advised him about Bonds pistols suggesting the now famous Walther PPK . As a way of thanks Q was named Major Boothroyd in later novels .

Nigel Brown`s British Gunmakers Vol.2 states -:

"Thomas Dainteth, 82 Bridge St, Warrington, Lancs c,1886-c94, 138 Bridge St. c,1897, 121 Bridge St. c,1901-c.30

Dainteth & Co.58 Orford Lane 1955-57"

Maybe the later listing was someone having bought the name, but just guesssing here.

However, Boothroyd spells the name `Dainteith`, Brown spells it `Dainteth` and the above posts spells it `Daintith` so only the spelling on the rib of the gun may  give the correct spelling.

Hope that this helps.

OB

Thanks Gunman.

Geoffrey did an article on the Liverpool gun makers in his column in the Shooting Times and mentioned Daintith as being one of them.

The CLA Game Fair was on a few weeks later and Geoffrey had a Q & A stall inviting people to visit him.

As the fair was local to me I went along to tell him about the Daintith from Warrington which is right next door to Liverpool.

He thanked me for the information which he didn't know about and said he would look into it.

About a month or so later, he thanked me in his column for the information that I supplied.

He had done some more digging and found that Daintith was a Warrington gun maker (not just an iron monger) but also had two sons that were gun makers trading under the same name.

The side by side hammer gun that I have was a bit tatty in the barrels and I found at the time that the cost of having them sleeved was more than the gun was worth, so I left it at that.

That was many years ago so what might the gun be worth now ?

Sam.

21 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Nigel Brown`s British Gunmakers Vol.2 states -:

"Thomas Dainteth, 82 Bridge St, Warrington, Lancs c,1886-c94, 138 Bridge St. c,1897, 121 Bridge St. c,1901-c.30

Dainteth & Co.58 Orford Lane 1955-57"

Maybe the later listing was someone having bought the name, but just guesssing here.

However, Boothroyd spells the name `Dainteith`, Brown spells it `Dainteth` and the above posts spells it `Daintith` so only the spelling on the rib of the gun may  give the correct spelling.

Hope that this helps.

OB

Thanks Old Boggy, It's T Daintith Warrington on my gun.

Sam.

• 6 months later...
On 15/02/2018 at 21:08, Binkie said:

I'm jumping on an old post here, so this may not be seen, but..I've recently started doing my family's family tree. My gran is a Daintith by blood. Her grandfather was Albert F Daintith, brother of Leonard, Sydney and your grandmother Nellie. I do believe there was another sibling called Evylin(Spelling questionable)? Anyway, Thomas Daintith, Gunsmith in Warrington is my Gran's Great-Grandfather aka my third Great-Grandfather! When I started telling her I wanted to do a family tree, she immediately told me about the successful gunshop they ran in Warrington.. :) 
My gran lives in Knutsford now, so hasn't moved far at all!