Workshop....

mark_mjs93

thought id shorten it a whole lot, basically im going to turn my wooden shed into a workshop/game storage room, it should be good, i was wondering wether you guys had your own sheds, that you use for game storage/hanging or stick making or heck even a workshop, anyone???

sorry about topic desc' dunno how to change it...

Happy Shooting

Mark

:good:

Edited by mark_mjs93

well shot shot, my uncle gave us a clarke devil 4115 and i have to admit it is good, the shed in all is about 9ftX9ft so it is pretty big we already have a worksurface in there which is just shorter than the wall and at the end of that i have a set of plastic shelving... if itsnows tonight like the news said and we get the day off school tomorow ill go in there and bolt the vices to the work surface, so any advice would be greatly recieved, thanks people, so if you can recomend things i might need i can have a look and think about if i do need it and if buget allows ill see about getting one... thanks people...

well shot shot, my uncle gave us a clarke devil 4115 and i have to admit it is good, the shed in all is about 9ftX9ft so it is pretty big we already have a worksurface in there which is just shorter than the wall and at the end of that i have a set of plastic shelving... if itsnows tonight like the news said and we get the day off school tomorow ill go in there and bolt the vices to the work surface, so any advice would be greatly recieved, thanks people, so if you can recomend things i might need i can have a look and think about if i do need it and if buget allows ill see about getting one... thanks people...

Post a picture dude, and i am sure you will get all the advice you can handle :good: Is this your man cave :yes:

A power suply and good lighting is a must. Possibly an extractor fan if your going to be using solvents in it.

It really depends on the solvent :good:

on a more serious note, music is a must, you can't work without music. I guess you could just listen to an ipod, but the earphones would be forever in the way. If you're going to be out there for long periods of time, a stool might be a good idea. As you say that you already have a bench, if you can find an old set of drawers from somewhere that fits under it, it would alow you to make use of what would otherwise be wasted space.

My personal thoughts are:-

1. Put some power and light in there (not forgetting a safety trip) - if you know how to - or ask your dad,
    Fill between the timber uprights of the walls with roof insulation and line with hardboard or thin ply to keep you snug in winter
    As well as a heater, put in a fan for the summer
    Before you bolt the vices down, reinforce your work-surfaces with some hefty timber - you need some stability when you are working.
    A tool board on the wall to hang your tools from keeps them off the bench and is cheaper than a tool-chest
    If you have the space, get hold of a small lathe - you will be amazed at what you can make with one - if you don't know how to use one, try your local evening classes for model engineering courses
    Position your machine tools away from your assembly bench
    Get hold of an old draughtsmen's chair if you can
    Do NOT allow other members of the family to use your workshop as a storage area - and indeed try not to store rubbish in there yourself
    Keep it clean (ish), so buy or blag a kitchen swingbin and a dustpan and brush

Post a picture dude, and i am sure you will get all the advice you can handle :good: Is this your man cave :good:

yep lee it is my man cave as you so rightly call it :hmm: ill get some pictures later on after school if i can...

My personal thoughts are:-

1. Put some power and light in there (not forgetting a safety trip) - if you know how to - or ask your dad,
    Fill between the timber uprights of the walls with roof insulation and line with hardboard or thin ply to keep you snug in winter
    As well as a heater, put in a fan for the summer
    Before you bolt the vices down, reinforce your work-surfaces with some hefty timber - you need some stability when you are working.
    A tool board on the wall to hang your tools from keeps them off the bench and is cheaper than a tool-chest
    If you have the space, get hold of a small lathe - you will be amazed at what you can make with one - if you don't know how to use one, try y our local evening classes for model engineering courses
    Position your machine tools away from your assembly bench
    Get hold of an old draughtsmen's chair if you can
    Do NOT allow other members of the family to use your workshop as a storage area - and indeed try not to store rubbish in there yourself
    Keep it clean (ish), so buy or blag a kitchen swingbin and a dustpan and brush

its cool amateur i know how to use a lathe, i do a day a week at college (friday) and im doing a Level 2 BTEC first diploma in egineering... great course and i do have fun there, so have you got a lathe you recomend???

at college we use the Gates centre lathes, and i do get along with these but im sure if i get my own i can get used to it quick enough.... how would i run the power to the shed??? (geuss ill need to ask my mum then or my brother)

oh and as for the tool wall well i was planning on this and i am planning to do this as it will be easier to access tools, i have drawers under the work surface already and i have cupbords under that, the worksurfaces as they are, are very sturdy and is a good surface to work on, i am going to insulate it hopefully this weekend if weather permits and if i have the time, we have a load of insulation rolls in the shed, its the same stuff we insulated the sunroom in, mum got more just incase...

looking forward to this should be great fun to set up and even more fun to use...

happy shooting

mark

:good:

so have you got a lathe you recomend???

I have an ancient Henry Milnes, unearthed from a Lincolnshire chicken shed, which does me fine - It screw-cuts, is big enough for all the bike bits that I make and does not take up too much space.

I would not presume to recommend any particular make - but there are still lots of relatively cheap s/hand ones around, cleared out from all the little British manufacturers who have gone bust. Try these people - Home & Workshop Machinery 020 8300 9070.

It will need to have a single phase motor for home use (otherwise it gets complicated)

My clock-maker father has one of the £600 Chinese lathe-mill combinations - very cheap new, but is a pain to operate, so he usually uses his Myford.

As for advising on wiring up the shed. On a public forum, to a minor, I could only suggest - consult a qualified electrician!

HAHA amateur you really under estimate me lol as does everyone lol, well i geuss i might just recruit my brothers help, between me and him we have half a braincell so we might be able to get somewere :good: only kidding well he wired up his shed which is at the end of his garden so he can come and do it and i can help (part of my egineering course is electronics, so we have learnt some bits and bobs, but my bro can do it.... he knows what he is doing, and if he messes up then ill be on hand to phone him an abulance) (or laugh :good:)

haha starlight nice one but to late i have a wooden shed and a metal shed, i am converting the wooden shed lol, i would prefer a brick one by all means but it just isnt happening :lol:and ok amateur i will get it checked, by my uncle he is a bricky and really knows his electrics... i am alright at wiring and usually its me that ends up fixing most things electrical in the house, but i get your picture i know it is deadly, i was walking through the hallway and knocked this thing my mum has plugged in, it is like an ultrasonic mouse repeller (although i said she already had one, called mark :good:) and i knocked the cover of it off, well me being dum i pushed the plastic cover back on and my hand touched the PCB inside and i was shocked HARD i was ok just a bit achy then at college we were building circuits and i touched the conections of a capacitor so i was shocked, and we were all sitting there i was sort of messed up (metally not physically) and i had jumped off the seat, i sat up and started with a really low pitch slow sort of dumb *** laugh (you know the type i mean you have all done it once or twice in your time) and the whole class erupted in laughter, even my tutor laughed and goes, careful there mate, the thing was, i didnt mean to i had sweaty hands and i went to pick up the screwdriver (by the metal end) and as i picked it up it connected with the conections of the capacitor, it was so funny, thats why i have the nick name Sparky :good: :good: