The Jack Russell Terrier and the Parson Russell Terrier

Santlache

by the way i have had 2 queen ann terriers, and i bought my sister one for her birthday last year for the rats at the stables ................. the first 2 both called susie were great and my sisters 'pip' is brilliant too, they were all from working backgrounds and would definately not win any rosettes !

i have to say though that my next dog, and one that i would already have to accompany my cocker, if it werent for my wife being preggers, would be a long legged JRT, much more versatile in my opinion - i have to say santlache yours are good looking dogs, if they work hard too, which from your posts i am sure they do, then put me down for one ifg oyu have a litter in about 12 months time !!! :good:

Thank you for your comments.

Shame we didn't have this posting session two weeks ago, I've a smashing little bitch who would be just the job for you, a feisty little thing and totally fearless I've no doubt she'll turn into an excellent worker like her mother. But she was sold last week I'm afraid.

I was going to keep her for myself, but I have three bitches and wanted to keep a dog this time as my stud is 7 years old now, saying that he's covering someone's bitch tomorrow, lucky boy :lol:

I may well breed from this other bitch I have later in the year, depending on how hacked off I am with pups when she comes into season, if I don't I'll cover her in Spring as I have a dog lined up for her from a hunt terrierman who breeds some excellent working dogs, and I think this dog would be perfect for my bitch.

PM me with your details and I'll be in touch.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHA!, have i hit a nerve mister puppy peddlar? why will you not say how old the sire or dam is? nor put pics up of them.. im sure a judge like you would have your fine looking parsons in a photograph that shows the dogs in detail closer than 10 yards away? why have you not said how much you sell a pup for? ive said it before and i will say it again, you breed with winning rossetes in mind and big money return on the pups..

Mr so-called terriersport it seems is blind as well as stupid.

My dogs are on the front of this post, two are in my avitar, there are pics of my pups in another thread.

The bitch is six, it was her second litter and I won't breed from her again, that's hardly puppy peddling.

You really are a ********.

One of my young bitches is a bit of what you say is a jibber, she'll work a fox baying away but won't get too near. She's still young and I hope will get better as her confidence grows. Earlier this year she spent an hour working charlie and came out after taking a hefty swipe. I sent her back down and she worked again but needs bringing on a bit.

In her defence it was an extensive earth, chambers, tunnels going here there and everywhere. In hindsight not ideal for only her second time working a fox. We then later used my other bitch, the mother of the younger one and the vixen was eventually boxed in for us in a chamber and dispatched.

I have a few earths which are quite shallow (no deeper than 2ft so if you need to break through fast you can), these are used for the young inexperienced dogs first two dozen digs or so, just enough for them to learn to find, and gain the experience of getting to grips with charlie. Confidence is a huge thing with terriers loose it and they take some saving. Its not too bad if your looking at easy ground where you maybee have a dog to ground for only 40-60 minutes, most will stay for that duration, the problems begin to show once the dig is into 3-4 hours, alot of dogs just pull away. I'm quite unfortunate in that alot of the ground I cover is very hard going with very deep earths (8 ft plus is a regular occurance), and quite often a dig can last for hours. Last week for example, what looked like an easy 5ft dig turned into a 7 hour grueller, now had that been a young dog in there, the chances are it would have walked, luckily the bitch that was working the earth is 8 yrs old (friends dog) and knows what to expect.

I usually (depending on the character of the dog) give all young dogs an easy first year on charlie (maybee 30-35 fox), then second year they get given about the same amount, but on more difficult earths, then 3rd year is full on they are expected to work any earth, big, or small, for as many hours as it takes. Dont forget a dog is only as good as its last dig, plent dogs jibb when you least expect it.

Anyway if you get enjoyment (which is what it should all be about) from showing terriers, and your happy with the way your dogs work, then why worry about what others think. Take no notice of silly comments. I will say one thing and you can take it whichever way you want. Always breed to please your own mind, not to please others, but always breed to improve and maintain what someone else has tried to attain. Gaood luck with the shows, and enjoy your dogs. :good:

Nice one, Digdeep, good man, your terriers sound like the business and good dogs.

Thank you for all your comments.

What collar do you use for your dogs ?

Mine is getting knackered now and packed up last time in the rain. I was looking at one of those swish new Bellman and Flints, pricey but a mate of mine had one on our last dig and it was certainly the business and spot on for depth in location.

Cheers

The difference between the parson and jack russell terrier is weight and height, the parsons being the more leggy of the two, the jack russell terrier is not a fully recognised breed, it originated from the parson and had numerous other breeds injected into it! thats why you get such a variation in looks, and temperament, the parson is "pedigree dog" with a breed standard. The jack russell is not recognised by the K.C. and has no breed standard. They both can have rough, broken or smooth coats. so to turn arround and say the small ones are not real jack russells is alload ****

The Rev john russell didnt show his own terriers on the conformation bench, saying that the difference between his dogs and show dogs could be likened to the difference between wild and cultivated flowers, the actaul guy that invented the breed (jack russell) .. didnt bother because his dogs where small, fiesty little terriers with short legs .. that couldnt compete in the show ring against the tall elegant types i.e parson types, Parson Russell Terriers were the long-legged type these were the ones that kept up with the hounds, the jack russell is a decent from the parsons... ..

Nice one, Digdeep, good man, your terriers sound like the business and good dogs.

Thank you for all your comments.

What collar do you use for your dogs ?

Mine is getting knackered now and packed up last time in the rain. I was looking at one of those swish new Bellman and Flints, pricey but a mate of mine had one on our last dig and it was certainly the business and spot on for depth in location.

Cheers

Bellman and Flint are a good digital locator. If you have the money the best on the market is the Mammut Barryvox. I can give you a contact on another site that does all the digital locators, from ortovox through to the Barryvox. He is very clued up about all the locators and has used them all and can give you all the specs on them all. The cheapest on the market would be the ortovox D3 which in truth will drop you right on top of your dog. Just like the others, there all designed to find people in avalanches.

Digdeep

Thanks for the tip, I'll check their range out

I did some digging earlier this year with the chap who makes the Bellman range, Jonathan, so I'll have to go in that direction really or he'd never forgive me.

Cheers

I thought we'd heard the last of Mr so-called 'Terriersport'.

When the Parson Russell Terrier was accepted as a breed by the Kennel Club, they had no readily available Breed Standard for the dog, so they used the Breed Standard of the Jack Russell Terrier Club of GB, the club for the genuine Jack Russell Terrier.

http://jackrussellgb.co.uk/

Try again, Mr Terriersport, for someone who claims to own terriers, you are remarkably ill-informed and ignorant on the breed.

White lakeland club of GB my a$rse Never heard so much **** in my life ..more lakie bred stuff shown at those shows than any other ..shall we go thru them then?? pengelli .. B Ludlam ... Mousely ..plenty more if you want ..been in the game too long know whats in most T.H .. D.D .. K.A :crazy:

Edited by donnyc

Same again Parson or russell..

Santlache id have this dog any day over all four of your show **** stuff you idiot! cranken dog donny :crazy:

Santlache, youve bred pups recentley why dont you tell us how much you sell them for? to them mugs that line your stinken pockets you puppy peddlar!!

santlach you say you used BC dog on one of your bitches yes?? trace it back then you have parson blood in them ...LOL .Where did BC get his base stock?? read chapmans book gives you the clues LOL LOL..Same a K A BUT they all have short memories now LOL..

Edited by donnyc

Why did some Jack Russell Terrier owners want recognition for the breed, when the main body for the breed, the JRTCGB, were and are today very much against it ?

Money, Fame, a trip once a year to prance around the ring at Crufts ?

It certainly wasn't for the protection or for the good of the breed, but you would have to ask the founders of Parson Russell Club why ?

The Parson Russell Club do recognise the JRTCGB and not so long ago they were offering Kennel Club Registration for any JRTCGB registered dogs, as they know they have not got a good enough gene pool. No member with JRTCGB Registered Dogs as far as I'm aware crossed over.

Parson Russell Terriers are bred to make money,and are sold as pets to people sucked in by the Kennel Club registration, or to show them at Kennel Club Shows. All of the top Russell Terriermen in the UK, many of them internationally respected, use JRTCGB Terriers and not Parsons. I have also never seen a Parson Russell Terrier win any of the hundreds of Working Terrier Shows I've been to up and down the country.

It's a crazy situation to have two names for a breed of dog which are in all intents and purposes the same dog, but I think you know my feelings as a breeder of these dogs where I stand, which is on the side of the JRTCGB and the protection and preservation of the breed as a working dog.

As far as I'm concerned there is no need whatsoever for Parson Russell Terriers, and the existence of such a dog is bad for the breed.

NOW THIS IS TOTAL **** TALKING BREED WHAT BREED scatterbred ****.NOW NAME THE TOP TERRIERMEN IN THE UK USING JRTCGB terriers digging them not showing them .Owning a terrier doth not a terrierman make..

I'm with Santlache on this one. Your a bellend!

I've read the whole thread and it made me laugh alot. We've had someone commenting that admits that he breeds dogs for show as well as work, had someone commenting who is an out and out working terrier man and then theres you, a jumped up moron that is making out hes a true terrier lad but doesnt even dig!! so in my eyes your neither work or show... just a wanabe that is coming on here to start an arguement.

just my opinion :hmm:

you can side with who ever you like, no one cares..

and for the record i never said i dig, not against it in anyway, if my dogs came across a fox id let they get on with it, ask the lads i go out with!.. :crazy: id be the first to admit i love ratting and take my dogs bushing i love it and thats enough for me, and i get them out as much as can and then some..ive never once tryed to say i was a terrierman, so stick to your gun dogs..

Edited by terriersport

NOW THIS IS TOTAL **** TALKING BREED WHAT BREED scatterbred ****.NOW NAME THE TOP TERRIERMEN IN THE UK USING JRTCGB terriers digging them not showing them .Owning a terrier doth not a terrierman make..

Several

Martyn Hulme, Simon Apps, Brian Male, not seen the Ludlams showing in a while and neither does Bob Clough anymore.