Making a pigeon Magnet

Steveo

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the plans, will be having a serious think about this job....One question, wouldn't it be kinder on the battery to use a window winder motor ?.

Biggest problem with the windscreen wiper motor is that it uses a worm and wheel reduction gearing which is massively inneficient. It does give a high reduction ratio in a compact envelope but at the cost of using a lot of power to do relatively little work. I'm going to investigate the option of using straight cut gears to see if it calculates out to give a better battery life. Better battery life can then relate to using a lighter battery or getting more hours per charge (lighter gear to cart around always appeals to me).

here we are? in my shed I have a magnet base ie the motor and foot unit all it needs are two arms and its complete anyone want it they can have it for the postage cost or if your near enough come and get it! oh it does work

cheers keith

Ditto - i have one which has all the basics bt needs "tinkering with". The main rotor arm is slipping but with a bit of engineering nouse im sure it could be fixed. Free to good home to collect or for post at cost

• 4 weeks later...

Has anybody used a 12 volt battery drill motor for a magnet? they are cheap as at the moment at homebase, 20 quid, and you get a variable speed trigger with it, dont suppose the battery is any good but Im sure that the motor would be spot on.

• 3 weeks later...

HI

am in the process of making a rotary device, found some alloy angle for the base, any way, when it came to a motor, I think I have found a billy bargain, not dead sure yet as I have only just ordered it, £12.00 odd inclusive of p&p, brand new windscreen wipermotor, with gear box, the site also sells voltage regulators but I didnt order one as the motor can be set to 45rpm, does any one know if this is too fast? this is the link to the site , http://www.technobots.co.uk/ if it doesnt work then just do the www.technobots.co.uk, sorry if this has been said before

• 2 weeks later...

Ran my newly made one for 4 hours yesterday and didnt get at all hot, although it is a 12 volt windscreen wiper motor I ran it on a 6 volt supply on the slower setting, should state that I am only using plastic half shell flying pigeons, so less power needed due to lighter weight very happy with the motor i got brand new for £12.90 delivered, will post a picture when I have painted matt green