leaving dead carcasses

Shaun ONeill

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally speaking i think it is disgusting to leave carcasses like that, if you are going to hunt do it for a reason respect your quarry enough to make use of it, if you have no use leave it for someone else to shoot who does.

Edited by Warlock

was shooting with a freind on his permission in the snow last week,there were fox trails heading for a small copse out in a field.my mate said that the ground was shared with other pigeon shooters,and one in particular always left piles of dead pigeons in the copse which the foxes were mopping up.what a waste of good meat and a bad image of the sport :hmm:

I pick them all up ! Should there be to many of them, I try to give them either to a

1) game dealer

2) restaurant

3) friends

then ones I crowned in the field, I usually either dig in or put them into the middle of a large field for the buzzards, crows, rooks and in our case ............ a red kite! same as with squirrels and rats that were shot or trapped ! :good:

then ones I crowned in the field, I usually either dig in or put them into the middle of a large field for the buzzards, crows, rooks and in our case ............ a red kite! same as with squirrels and rats that were shot or trapped ! :good:

.........Oh dear, If I were you I wouldn`t do this, as raptors have a gizzard and if they eat food that has lead shot in it, and it has been placed there by someone specifically to feed them, they may die and you will have poisoned them albeit unwittingly.

:hmm: so whats the differance leaving dead pigeons in the hedge for wildlife and nature to have,then leaving dead crows,foxes,squirrels,rats or any other vermin that needs controlling,but you dont want to eat or havent any dogs or ferrets or friends that will eat them :hmm: give up shooting?? tell farmer you cant help him ,get someone who s hungary to shoot birds for you?? send licence back?? just a different slant on it :hmm::good:

there is no difference codling, under the terms of the general license the reason for shooting is pest control. There is no obligation to eat the quarry and if you are only going out to shoot enough pigeons to eat then I'd question whether its legal, of course you can pretty much always proove they are a pest but the fact is the farmer wants them dead and the use afterwards is of secondary concern

Obviously that aside it is a waste and they are far better eaten but I've got permission where the farmer drives me round and won't stop to pick up rabbits as he just wants more shot but that is pest control, rather than shooting for the table.

Would be nice if we all could play in a farmers field, just shooting what we want for the pot.

but as said some do it for pest control.

you who are shooting for sport and the odd bit of gear for the table are the ones who could get the game a bad name.

if you cant or wont do a proper job leave it to those that can and do.

Would be nice if we all could play in a farmers field, just shooting what we want for the pot.

you who are shooting for sport and the odd bit of gear for the table are the ones who could get the game a bad name.

Why/how would shooters be giving it a bad name, shooting for the pot?

Why/how would shooters be giving it a bad name, shooting for the pot?

I think that it was meant that it can give a bad name if birds are found dumped in a field.

Respect for your quarry. I'd always try to make sure my pigeons go to a hungry home. It's a waste to leave such a nice meat to go to waste.

The problem is that people get loads of ammunition to feed the antis if piles of birds are left knocking about.

Obviously apart from corvids and foxes, you should always try to eat what you shoot. I just keep all my pigeon breasts in the freezer.

what a load of ******** how can you say that people that take what they shoot away can give the sport a bad name people like YOU that think its ok to leave a heap of dead pigeons laying in a ditch is what gives the sport a bad name. mr anti walking round a field sees aload of carcasses in a ditch gives them the ammo they need. yes i do do it for sport and i shoot as many as i can i do a proper job. and why not take the breasts off and then use them for decoys no waste then not bothering is just lazyness.

what a load of ******** how can you say that people that take what they shoot away can give the sport a bad name people like YOU that think its ok to leave a heap of dead pigeons laying in a ditch is what gives the sport a bad name. mr anti walking round a field sees aload of carcasses in a ditch gives them the ammo they need. yes i do do it for sport and i shoot as many as i can i do a proper job. and why not take the breasts off and then use them for decoys no waste then not bothering is just lazyness.

you CANT shoot them for sport.

I'm not sure what your point is Mark.

I can't see anything wrong with engaging in a sport that doubles up as vermin control. That the some of the spoils of it is eaten can only be a good thing. I'm not suggesting it's a good idea to leave a stack of vermin piled up in a field though.

point is its a bit hypocritical of some to say its ok to kill em my way but not yours.

As long as they are shot legally what does it matter if i leave 50 odd birds out to attract the foxes.

I have not done any pigeon shooting this last year ,but when i was doing it 5 days a week and killing hundreds of birds , once whats been given away, and the few i want for my self sorted

what i do with the rest is my business, as long as they are not dumped at the side of a road for all and sundry to see .

and no i wont sell em to a game dealer for coppers.

if i told the farmers i only wanted half a dozen pigeons for me dinner then i am off.

he would say "and don't come back.

nice if you can pick your day to be out, nice weather shoot a few birds dress em under the sun.

bit of a bitch when mr farmer rings you up to go and its freezing cold.

Edited by markbivvy

you CANT shoot them for sport.

Term pest control differs from shooter to shooter & how they do it. I was bought up to the country code, & I pest control in a SPORTING fashion, IE i respect what i shot. I ensure it is killed quick and clean, then i eat it.

You maybe be one of those johnys that just likes dressing up in camo & likes to own a lot of guns & go driving round the country side in you 4x4 thats jacked up on high springs with big spotlights. You tell everyone your a pest controller to get away with doing these things?

There can be no excuse to dump shot birds after a day in the field. To do so only plays into the hands of those who wish to stop all bird shooting. If you cant eat them yourself take them to a game dealer or just stop shooting for the sake of the remainder of the shooting community.

If anyone ever did that on any of the farms I shoot the farmer would kick them off double quick. As others have said we need respect for your quarry and if someone just wants to kill targets take up clay shooting and leave the live quarry for those of us who love the sport.

Quite apart from the ethics of dumping a days bag its agaist the law. Nowadays dead animals have to be disposed of , not left to rot in a field where they can pollute the water table. 100 pigeons are just the same as one sheep and nobody would dream of leaving that to decompose in a field. As for leaving them for the foxes I bet the local keepers love you.

Perhaps the moto below the SACS badge "God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best. " says it all for your attutude to shooting.

Perhaps someone from the SACS management would like to comment on the conduct of one of your members.

Edited by anser2

Farmer phones you and says that his crops are getting hammered by woodies, will you go and sort them out! (Better had or he might give your permission to someone else!)

Off you go the next morning.

Birds were pouring in all day and you ended up with 200 :) Awesome day! :(

Some of us cant eat 200 woodies, you take as many as you can (if you like them to eat) and may only know of a handful of people that might take 3 or 4 off your hands.

No butchers want them neither do any restaurants.

What should you do with the other 180 birds? :D

Farmer phones you and says that his crops are getting hammered by woodies, will you go and sort them out! (Better had or he might give your permission to someone else!)

Off you go the next morning.

Birds were pouring in all day and you ended up with 200 :) Awesome day! :(

Some of us cant eat 200 woodies, you take as many as you can (if you like them to eat) and may only know of a handful of people that might take 3 or 4 off your hands.

No butchers want them neither do any restaurants.

What should you do with the other 180 birds? :D

some on here wont know C.

as i said there playing in the farmers fields.

Perhaps the moto below the SACS badge "God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best. " says it all for your attutude to shooting.

you have not got a clue have you.

ps. i mean your whole thread not just the bit above.

Edited by markbivvy

Game dealers don't want them if they're flyblown and that happens quite quickly in the autumn if you shoot over stubble and use the early kills as decoys. It doesn't do any harm from an ecological point of view to leave corpses even crowned ones in a hedge. The emerging maggots and stuff will feed the pheasants up nicely and the bodies may help to distract the foxes from the poults and bring them into range for culling too.

Don't put them out in the open. As previously said, you can give raptors lead poisoning.

Dont leave them in big heaps anywhere either. If the antis find them you can be sure they'll use it as ammunition.

I like to go home with a bagfull of crowns and put them in the freeezer. I certainly waste as few as possible.