leaving dead carcasses

Shaun ONeill

you CANT shoot them for sport.

:D:) eactly.pigeon shooting is a good sport,but legally they can only be shot when other means dont work. on times i go to farm everyday when he s planted,and maybe shoot 40/60 crows and pigeons a day on a good week,i do eat a few,freeze a few,deliver a few to friends and family,but sooner or later your left with a few left,and sorry but theres only so many you can eat or give away,my ferret and dogs are sick of seeing birds and squirrels and rabbits.they have to be disposed of,maybe burning is an answer,but if you got carry them a long way,they feed the wildlife easier.it s ok for the odd person who goes shooting once a month and gets 20 birds,id keep um all too then. :(

and i still cant see the diff in dumping foxes and crows,and not pigeons,edible or not ,still looks bad to antis.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can it be against the law leaving them???.........if it is ,you will find that you would need a licence to transport or even remove carcases.......how many birds are hit and not picked up?..........Pigeons are classed as vermin the same as rats....can somebody please tell me how you dispose of your rat carcases after ratting , as you cant put them in a bin, you cant burn them without a licence......

Regards

Willow32

How can it be against the law leaving them???.........if it is ,you will find that you would need a licence to transport or even remove carcases.......how many birds are hit and not picked up?..........Pigeons are classed as vermin the same as rats....can somebody please tell me how you dispose of your rat carcases after ratting , as you cant put them in a bin, you cant burn them without a licence......

Regards

Willow32

here you go willow.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/by-prods/f...isposalqa.htm#2

and to think a conservationist did not know this.

he,ll be telling us next Voltaire was a lesbian. :) :( :D

whats wrong with going to a game dealer so what if you dont get much for them.although i know not everyone has game dealers near them then fairenough. because people do it for sport dont mean they are playing in the fields. and i go as often as i can at least once a week and if i could i would go every day but sadly shooting dont pay the bills.

From a government web site.

Animal carcases

Farm animal carcases can no longer be buried or burnt in the open because of the risk of disease spread through groundwater or air pollution. The Animal by Products Regulations require dead farm animals to be taken to or collected by an approved knacker yard, hunt kennel, incinerator or renderer, either by private arrangement, or under the National Fallen Stock Scheme.

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3032

Sheer common sense tells you that if you leave piles of dead rotting birds about there is a very good chance they will become a fostering site for disease. A pile of 50 or more pigeons have the same biomass as a dead ewe and that is considered a health risk and has to be collected and disposed of by an approved collector.

There can be no excuse for dumping dead birds unless you are too damm lazy to dispose of them yourself. I never have had any trouble selling pigeons and all the game dealers in my area cannot get enough of them. If your local dealers do not want them there are several adverts in the shooting press for dealers willing to collect them fresh or frozen.

If you cant use the birds do not shoot them !!!!!

As for not having a clue Mrbivvy I shoot several thousand pigeons each year and have been shooting for almost 5 decades and perhaps have a little more forethought about the future of shooting than you appear to. What do you think members of the public think about shooting when they stumble across your piles of pigeons ? Next time some government tries to shop shooting who do you think they will support ?

Its not me who has not got a clue Mr bivvy rather you who has not got a clue what the countryside and shooting is all about if you are happy to just chuck what you shoot in the nearest ditch where its going to pollute the nearest watercourse or possibly spread disease.

Farm animal carcases can no longer be buried or burnt

wild animals don't come under this one.

If you cant use the birds do not shoot them

i can and do use em( in the dozens), to attract foxes.

no members of the public roaming my land thank you.

Its not me who has not got a clue Mr bivvy rather you who has not got a clue what the countryside and shooting is all about if you are happy to just chuck what you shoot in the nearest ditch where its going to pollute the nearest watercourse or possibly spread disease.

like i said clue less.

you may be best sticking to the lonely hearts forum that you like.

ps, dont hide it from the ladies that you go shooting.

you might just end up getting wed.

but i doubt it.

have a nice evening. :)

I like woman who wants my mind rather than my body , but also plays with my body rather than with my mind

where's the vomit smillie.

Edited by markbivvy

I cannot believe how short sighted you are MR Bevvi. Its time you gave a thought to the shooting community to who you perhaps belong.

Once wild animals are shot they become your possessions and thus are no longer

considered wild in the same way pheasants in a rearing pen belong to the keeper ( or shoot owner ) , but once released are wild animals.

As for no members of the public on your land I doubt if there is any land outside of MOD ground that members of the public stray onto from time to time if they have permission or not.

As for being clueless now there you clearly show how little what you know about shooting and the countryside. I have spent 100s of hours in defence of shooting , working for conservation , writing articles in magazines and a major shooting hand book ( for no fee ) , collected money to pay to research into pink footed goose breeding biology when their main breeding ground was threatened , bred thousands for duck for release into unshot reserves , bred endangered white headed ducks for release schemes and carried out research projects on wildfowl. I grew up in a country village where shooting was the be and end all of the youngsters life and shot all over the country pigeon shooting , wildfowling and game shooting .I have been a wildfowling club sectary and committee member and have a degree in ecology , so in now way could I be described as clueless about true shooting and the countryside.

So Mr Bivvy what have you done to help or perhaps hinder your sport ?

read it.

A. No. The carcasses, or parts of carcasses, of wild animals are exempt from the scope of the EU ABPR unless they are thought to be diseased or are used to produce game trophies in which case there is a responsibility on the landowner to ensure the carcasses are disposed of in accordance with the regulation. Although the Regulation places them under no legal obligation, owners of property on which there are dead wild animals are advised to contact their local authority for advice on appropriate disposal methods.

Fact 1 . If I want to leave a couple of pigeons for the foxes I will.............

Fact 2 . If i want to take them home and eat I will.............

Fact 3. If I want to sell them I will.............

Fact 4. The anti's dont want you shooting in the first place........so it dont matter what you intend to do with them anyway......the birds dead already.

Fact5.

We are talking about VERMIN shooting...........

Regards

Willow32

Edited by Willow32

if the antis worry you that much, sell your gun and pack it in. sorted. :)

no they dont worry me .if you see nothing wrong in shooting pigeons n dumping them and think it dont put shooting in a bad light maybe you need to get your head out from where the sun dont shine. but it seems like you know it all anyway. incidentley one of the permissions i shoot one of the conditions the land owner stated was not to leave things laying around that were shot because it does not look good and that comes from someone who despises pigeons and from someone who more than likely knows a bit more about the countryside than you. :hmm:

Ok then .....here's one what will put the cat among the pigeons............

I agree that if you shoot vermin....rat ,fox or pigeon yes you can leave it if required........

But if I saw a Pheasant or Partridge left ,,,,that would be wrong....

People need to relise that pigeons are vermin, we dont release them....conservation plays no part, hence the towns have thousands ...........and the damage they do to crops.

And I think the antis are more intersted and against game shooting than pigeon shooting.

Shooting has many banners....and we should not build barriers between each other......sport ,vermin shooting...The fact is we all enjoy it.

If you want to start dictating to people on what to do............Then join the Labour Party

Regards

Willow32

I agree...thats the best thing about this forum.....lets everybody have there say ...and there point of views.....life would be so boring if we all agreed,,,,,

Regards

Willow32

True, but eventually all the long (and interesting by means of member arguments) get closed...

In my eyes, it's fine to leave some for the foxes, I do, because they're the ones out of the freezer and you can't eat them. I don't agree with dumping birds just because you can't get rid of them. That's utter cr&p, there's always people who want free food. Go and give them to old people who are short on cash! I drop rabbits off to the old people near me. They love it because it probably brings back pre war memories of rabbit pies and I get a nice feeling for doing something good.