leaving dead carcasses

Shaun ONeill

Basically to sum it up if you can eat them eat them if not a few spread in hedgerows is actually putting them back into the foodchain, whether that be foxes, or via maggots eating them and then being eaten by other birds.

Certainly we leave some but more often in the summer when its such a problem stopping them getting fly blown and going off which they seem to do in a matter of hours. Fundamentally if the birds weren't shot they would die and end up in the ground anyway. We as shooters under the General license are just there to kill them to protect crops, what happens after that has no governance at all. Anyone who wants to try and get more DEFRA legislation involved as far as wild animal corpses will certainly not be popular with any farmer in the country.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone has any doubts about the legality of dumping piles of dead birds I suggest you ring the environment agency and they will tell you it breaks several laws, from the disposal of dead animals , polluting water bodies and water tables through percolation through ground water , it infringes public health regulations and would be classed as fly tipping . In addition if any disease developed in the rotting carcases which is likely as the bodies decompose , there may be farm disease control infringements and this is quite apart from any ethical considerations of being a sportsman.

Just ring them and ask !!!

And if you have trouble selling them look in the sporting press for adverts , there are several dealers who will travel to collect. , ie Rick Bestwick 01246 854999

Edited by anser2

no they dont worry me .if you see nothing wrong in shooting pigeons n dumping them and think it dont put shooting in a bad light maybe you need to get your head out from where the sun dont shine. but it seems like you know it all anyway. incidentley one of the permissions i shoot one of the conditions the land owner stated was not to leave things laying around that were shot because it does not look good and that comes from someone who despises pigeons and from someone who more than likely knows a bit more about the countryside than you. :good:

like others you presume to much, but i have been in the game a lot of years .

you wont be, but it will be no loss.

enjoy your 1 day a week. :D

If anyone has any doubts about the legality of dumping piles of dead birds I suggest you ring the environment agency and they will tell you it breaks several laws, from the disposal of dead animals , polluting water bodies and water tables through percolation through ground water , it infringes public health regulations and would be classed as fly tipping . In addition if any disease developed in the rotting carcases which is likely as the bodies decompose , there may be farm disease control infringements and this is quite apart from any ethical considerations of being a sportsman.

Just ring them and ask !!!

As usual, all wrong again.

another post on the forum about wood pigeons dying,

who will be prosecuted for not burning these.

No one.

I personally think you should just leave your gun at home and take up something else like ratting as if you are not going at least attempt eat some the birds that you have shot you are just asking for the antis to have a moan. I feel strongly about this because our sport is always next in line for those who do not share our views and if they got it banned they would move onto fishing and then frankly it is not worth living in this country. So perhaps next time you leave your pre bait for foxes you think about the implications of posting your view on an open forum.

I personally think you should just leave your gun at home and take up something else like ratting as if you are not going at least attempt eat some the birds that you have shot you are just asking for the antis to have a moan. I feel strongly about this because our sport is always next in line for those who do not share our views and if they got it banned they would move onto fishing and then frankly it is not worth living in this country. So perhaps next time you leave your pre bait for foxes you think about the implications of posting your view on an open forum.

with fools like you around we dont need antis.

good day.

Edited by markbivvy

oh for god s sake,cant people stop worrying about antis. iv enever personally came across any ,and aint bothered if i do,i do eat some of what i kill,but flipping heck,id look like an elephant if i ate what i killed every week.there aint nothing wrong with throwing a fe birds in a hedge full stop,if it was 80 crows ,what would you do??? eat them,so what the diff between crows and pigeons???

like others you presume to much, but i have been in the game a lot of years .

you wont be, but it will be no loss.

enjoy your 1 day a week. :good:

i have been shooting for 25 years and will carry on shooting until im to old to do so . and i will enjoy my one or two days a week pigeon shooting for SPORT. I also imagine it would be no loss when you stop although you seem to think you are some sort of shooting legend (in your own mind) :D

i have been shooting for 25 years and will carry on shooting until im to old to do so . and i will enjoy my one or two days a week pigeon shooting for SPORT. I also imagine it would be no loss when you stop although you seem to think you are some sort of shooting legend (in your own mind) :good:

quite right mate when i stop it will be no loss at all.

but the vast amount of foxes and birds i dont shoot will be glad to see the back of me.

have a nice day. :D:/ :/ :P :P

i have been shooting for 25 years and will carry on shooting until im to old to do so . and i will enjoy my one or two days a week pigeon shooting for SPORT. I also imagine it would be no loss when you stop although you seem to think you are some sort of shooting legend (in your own mind) :good:

quite right mate when i stop it will be no loss at all.

but the vast amount of foxes and birds i dont shoot will be glad to see the back of me.

have a nice day. :D:/ :/ :P :P

fairenough mr bivvy. nice to let off a bit of steam once in a while though. Edited by shootnfish

Comparing pigeons dying naturally is a stupid comparison with leaving piles of dead birds about the countryside. When those of you who dump piles of birds have a bit more experience of shooting perhaps you will learn to respect our quarry and think about someone other than yourself , about our children who I hope will still be shooting well into the future which if we all carried out your practice they certainly wont be.

As for those who do not worry about antis , just because you have never come across them it dosent mean they do not matter. Field sport has been in retreat for the past 40 years with the loss of quarry species , tighter restrictions on gun ownership and the loss of some countryside sports. Just because you have never come across an anti it does not mean they do not matter.... they do to those of who want to continue shooting with as few restrictions as possible.

As for flyblown birds , no problem , just take a wet sack with you and cover the birds as you shoot them and you will have little trouble with flys.

I shoot 5-6 days a week and kill thousands of pigeons plus a host of other game most seasons and yet I guess I waste only a hand full of badly shot or poor condition birds each year. And those are correctly disposed of . If anyone is too lazy to take their game home with them take up another sport as respectable shooters do not want you in our sport.

i try to pick up all my pigeons if u cant eat them all there is always some one who whats some or will buy them all( game dealer)ok it might be only a tener but its a teners fuel for the next time out . dumpin them is just ....ing lazy coz uv got to drive 15 miles its part of being a pigeon shooter ok leavin some old decoy birds in a hedge but good meat u arent real pigoen shooter in ma books boys :good:

i try to pick up all my pigeons if u cant eat them all there is always some one who whats some or will buy them all( game dealer)ok it might be only a tener but its a teners fuel for the next time out . dumpin them is just ....ing lazy coz uv got to drive 15 miles its part of being a pigeon shooter ok leavin some old decoy birds in a hedge but good meat u arent real pigoen shooter in ma books boys :good:

another one who presumes to much.

i drive over 30 miles to DUMp them.

if you are going to have a go , try to get some facts.

like some on this thread you know nothing.

too many high horses about i think,their bloody flying rats,if im fed up with eating them,and farmer wants them dead,their all going in bushes,and as for finding a new sport,anyone for tennis??? and as said before it aint a sport its pest control,you get caught shooting birds for fun and sport you ll end up in trouble.

WELL WELL WELL this is getting a little heated! i shoot the squat pigeons (feral) at work cos they **** over everything and i wouldnt even touch the dirty barstUards without a glove on, things jumping off them crawling under there feathers brrrrr shudder flying rats. they get lobbed down the yard for the yard cat to feast on hes got one eye one ear and hes scarier than any dog iv ever seen hed have your ****** hand off.

never been woodie shooting however they look like a different bird all together like grey garden tree chickens :good:

too many high horses about i think,their bloody flying rats,if im fed up with eating them,and farmer wants them dead,their all going in bushes,and as for finding a new sport,anyone for tennis??? and as said before it aint a sport its pest control,you get caught shooting birds for fun and sport you ll end up in trouble.

call the police sure they will be bothered.