new dog

pavman

Some of you will know I already have a Border Terrier cross, great little flusher and I am delighted to report now fully recovered from a bad accident. We are about to re start and refresh her basic training, with the help of the advise of NTTF.

I am very aware of my own limited ability in training, being restricted to sit, stop, stay, heel to the level I would assume of a well-behaved family dog under reasonable control.

I have so far spent quite some time deliberating on the way forward with regard to a working dog, I assume many of you may well have been through the same at some stage.

I have made many enquiries and taken advise from shooting friends, read books and watched videos, and have had a mixed and varied response. My currant thought train is that I need to understand the needs of the dog and commands/training beyond my present level of competence in order that when the happy day comes I am able to get the best out the dog and we both enjoy and benefit from our partnership.

I have resisted the temptation to splash out and try to find a fully trained dog, and I would assume that a good trainer would soon sus out anyone who should not be sold such a dog.

Would a trainer (if I can find a good local one) offer lessons or allow me to sit in on training as a prospective owner prior to me getting a new dog?

I have a good friend who has ruined a great little Black Lab dog, it came from good lines and has been forced on with little knowledge or thought, and is now completely gun shy and in fear of the owner due to raised voice and tantrums when he gets it wrong. A very sad tail indeed.

Have any of you had any similar experience with getting started and could offer words of advice to help me along.

pavman

What breed of dog are you looking for ??

Most trainers will sell you a fully trained dog, it's their job and income, you will have to pay .. (3,000 quid for a fully trained Lab :rolleyes: )

No different from your local Ferrari dealer .. if you've got the money :lol:

Try this website in Cambridgeshire ....

www.africandawnstrainingkennels.co.uk

Certainly not a criticism but don't be so serious ....

If it's fun for you .. it's fun for the dog :lol:;)

Also take a look at www.ukgundogs.org

Full of good advice and ...

www.countrywaysgundogs.com

Read the book, watch the video, make the kennel, construct the run, buy the pup,

then enjoy :D:):D:lol:

I will be looking for a lab as in the main my interest is wildfowling, out of season I shoot Pigeons most weekends at a local farm.

My intention was not to sound to serious, but rather to convey my interest in going about the business in a responsible manner, thus the request for advise.

I have had a lab before, a small yellow bitch called Toffee and whilst she was not trained to any degree she would retrieve as happy as Larry all day, wet or dry and was a great little dog. Due to my working offshore at the time she went with the ex wife!

I am really looking forward to getting the new dog/pup, and I guess like you say its a bit like a new car, people may well sell if you have the money, but like a new car I want to get it right, with luck the dog will work away maybe till its 10 years so its a big investment in time and care, and like I said having seen a friend ruin a decent pup I would not wish to undertake the responsibilities of a pup without taking advantage of some the knowledge out their. and I am happy to listen to all or any views. thanks

Guys thanks for the pm's you know who you are,

pavman

Pavman,

Have a look at the local pet shop, gun shop or vets to see if there is a Gundog training group in your area. I did this when I got my first spaniel. If you are a member of a wildfowling club do they not run any course on dog trainging, I know mine does in the summer.

There should be some help to you, also I take it you now have the time to train a new pup. It takes a lot of time and patience, but is well worth it when you see your dog working. My old bitch is now 13yrs and 7 months and worked till she was 10 and a damm good worker she was too. The other dog is now 5 and working Ok but I got him as a rescue dog, so as long as you take your time and enjoy what you are doing going with a pup should be fine.

Just keep posting on here as there are a few with new(ish) pups and all getting and giving good advise.

Trev.

Trev,

Have managed to get details of a gun dog club through my wildfowlers, its a bit late coming but the wheels seem to turn slow in suffolk! :)

Plan is now to get a pup, as I feel sure the bonding process at an early age is so important, I have dropped the idea of a part trained, and I am told many folk make mistakes when training the first dog, but in learning together and with help from the club, it should be fun for both of us, and maybe I worry to much?

I think a lot of people seem to forget how hard it is to get started down the right road, This year alone I have seen at least 4 dogs that I would not want to lay claim to, no fault of the dog of course. Running way ahead of the guns putting up game out of shot, humping anything that moves, picking up other guns birds and running off into the distance, with note that in almost all cases the owner just shouted as loud as possible at the offender. way to go! :*)

By comparison I have seen some fantastic dogs a real credit to dog and owner and of course it’s this knowledge base I have attempted to tap into.

pavman

Its funny too see though, when a untrained dog says to the owner...

No thats my bird and your not getting it back because you will have to catch me first.......and hes away...bat out of hell across the field with the owner thinking orrrrr s@#t, I should'nt have cut those corners.

I hope you get a good dog my friend, as you will have encountered already through PM's the usual dog men are always there to help you out.

Enjoy.

Heres my ESS (Amber) 9 month's now and coming along fine, out on the beating line at 6 months and soon to be joining me in the pigeon hide when the weather gets warmer, I'm a softie I know.

Sorry about size Mod's

post-13-1109761621.jpg

That’s a fine looking ESS

On the beating line at 6 months and no doubt having fun…

Just goes to prove, I guess young dogs are like kids, some will learn quicker than others. Of interest has been the wealth of conflicting advise and in all cases the advise has been given with good intent and forceful conviction from well meaning friends on the local scene and kennels and breeders I have contacted.

The postings by NTTF have made the most sense and like others I await his book (if written) with eager anticipation. Some ware along the line I must make some choices as to the methods I will use and in what order, and as to how the dog will be housed etc.

On that subject alone I have been told everything from never allow a working dog in your home, to my dog sleeps on the bed with me! I trust its a case of personnel choice and what works for you, works.

pavman

Pavman your spot on,

everyones views are different and I've had a few good debates with the lads when I started taking Amber on the beating line so early, but it worked for me but could spoil another dog.

I'm a softy when it comes to dogs so mine's a house/working dog, I heard Badgercourt, which was a great dog in the ESS world was a house dog but we differ in what we have availble to us and its about making best use of what we have and the time we have.

The most important point is too enjoy the training of your dog, I'm no expert, I'm still a novice when it comes to gundog training but what a buzz I get when the work you put in pays of with compliments from poeple who have trained these dogs for years.

Get a picture posted when new friend turns up at your door.

Bye for now and happy shooting

The PM

On that subject alone I have been told everything from never allow a working dog in your home, to my dog sleeps on the bed with me! I trust its a case of personnel choice and what works for you, works.

pavman

The subject of a working dog being kenneled or aloowed indoors will roll & roll.

The schools of thought cirle around the "indoor" dog bonding better/being molly coddled!

For me a working dog should be ideally kenneled however this is a matter of personal choice. Our Lab comes indoors however its "home" is in the kennel. The fact of sleeping outdoors apparently allows the coat to thicken (obvious i suppose?).

I do however make sure that her kennel is warm & dry.

After a nights duck flighting i know were i would want my dog sleeping!

As i say personal choice.

gents,

I am pleased to report that the new pup will be with me mid April,

Treacle black lab bitch, is out of FTCH Syntax Sky of Brindlebay (dam) and FTCH Brindlebay Jude the pedigree lists FTCH back 5 generations, and coming from top trainer/breeder Mike Tallymy is as good a pup as I could ever wish for, have spent a happy weekend on the new build kennel/run. I will post pics and updates as and when,

a very happy pavman :devil: :o :D